Where is best to live in a SHTF scenario:Rural North or South (POLL) - Page 5

Where is best to live in a SHTF scenario:Rural North or South (POLL)

This is a discussion on Where is best to live in a SHTF scenario:Rural North or South (POLL) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by suntzu Well, I could have added all 50 states, but the poll doesn't allow for that. I did provide "Other" as a ...

View Poll Results: Where is better to live during a SHTF scenario

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rural North (NH)

24 16.22%
  • Rural South

91 61.49%
  • Other

33 22.30%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Where is best to live in a SHTF scenario:Rural North or South (POLL)

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Well, I could have added all 50 states, but the poll doesn't allow for that. I did provide "Other" as a choice so I guess that woud be you

BTW: When folks say "not being critical" they are LOL j/k
    I voted "other" since you didn't have the area I would chose. I guess I could have voted rural north if you didn't specify NH. I would try to find my way towards the Minnesota/Canada areas where there are thousands of small and medium sized lakes away from the big cities. Minimalist survival is extremely difficult in the winter, but with a group of survival smart and like-minded people I think the risks of cold weather would be significantly lower than the risks associated with large poplulations.
    atctimmy likes this.

Other. I lived in Montana for 17 years. If the wheels come off, that's where we will go. I can take care of my family indefinitely there. Lots of friends, and was fortunate enough to know folks who are as high country savvy as it gets, and were glad to teach what they know. With me as a hunting guide and my wife as an RN, we should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Other. I lived in Montana for 17 years. If the wheels come off, that's where we will go. I can take care of my family indefinitely there. Lots of friends, and was fortunate enough to know folks who are as high country savvy as it gets, and were glad to teach what they know. With me as a hunting guide and my wife as an RN, we should be OK.
    While I'm not doubting your ability to survive, I would be a little more humble about it. In a true EOTWAWKI situation, modern hunting and medical equipment will only be available for a certain amount of time before you have to revert to more primative methods. The Native Americans were able to survive by passing on lessons learned for hundreds of years prior to the invasion.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Back in my younger days I'd have headed straight for northern Idaho. These days it would have to be someplace much warmer.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would say NH and TX both have some pretty extreme weather. Why not chose somewhere more temperate. Lots of great places in the NW. Outside of the I-5 corridor, people are very reasonable, and while it does sprinkle a lot, the water makes for a beatifull landscape, and lots of eddible vegitation.
    Walk softly ...

My vote be for the south. I think I prefer the longer growing season opportunities.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Moderator
    I would add where you are at because if the stuff hits the fan in a big way it will probably be to deep to drive through. So if you are planning on going from Texas to New Hampshire you might be SOL
    Rock and Glock and ccw9mm like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

While I think the warmer weather all year would be the best choice, I am from ne Ohio, I would stay here. We have good land, plenty of game and everyone is going to want to go to warmer parts.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

I'll take rural West Texas. It's what I know.

I had to go with other on this one. I know little about the area that is considered North or South in the context of the OP here. I am much more familiar with and suited for survival in the Pacific Northwest in and around the mountains and / or northern coastal waters.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Buy a house in WV. We have it all. Moderate climate, lots of rivers and streams, over run with deer and West Virginians generally are good people who look out for each other. The don't call it "Wild and Wonderful" for nothing.

Probably the ideal place to live would be around Sonoma, California. Perfect weather, abundant food growing areas with fertile soil, great water sources and the best part is that if you run out of everything you can go to Starbucks.
    I lived there for 3 years and was treated as an outsider by everyone of my neighbors. I dont think all of WV is that way but where I lived was.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke, Edmund

Proud owner of a G35. And yes I carry it concealed.

Texas has too many immigrants from Mexico and drug cartels coming across the border. That's going to get worse in a SHTF situation. Not for me. I would take NH over that.

I've grown up all over. Kansas, Georgia, Florida, Germany, and now live in Virginia. I've lived in both hot and cold climate. I don't like either extreme. Do what you have to do. I like the mountains of Virginia better than flat open areas tho. More places to hide and take cover. You're a sittin' duck out in the open.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Re: Where is best to live in a SHTF scenario:Rural North or South (POLL)

Western Arkansas is pretty nice. Lots of hunting and fishing, wild rivers to the north (remember 'Deliverance'). Land is cheap. Jobs can be a bit scarce, but if you want your space, you can have it. Concealed carry reasonable, guns plentiful and no waiting assuming your background is clean. From here I can be in Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Missouri, Louisiana, Kansas and probably Georgia and Alabama all in under a 4 hours drive (road trips to Memphis for barbeque).

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    tkruf is right about the cartels. It gets hot as heck during the summer but my body is more acclimated to hot than cold. I guess I'd stick it out here.

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    While I'm not doubting your ability to survive, I would be a little more humble about it. In a true EOTWAWKI situation, modern hunting and medical equipment will only be available for a certain amount of time before you have to revert to more primative methods. The Native Americans were able to survive by passing on lessons learned for hundreds of years prior to the invasion.
    Did not mean to come across as arrogant. Let's just say I feel my odds would be much better up there.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links