Where is best to live in a SHTF scenario:Rural North or South (POLL)

This is a discussion on Where is best to live in a SHTF scenario:Rural North or South (POLL) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hands down rural south because of year round climate being more survivable....

View Poll Results: Where is better to live during a SHTF scenario

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rural North (NH)

24 16.22%
  • Rural South

91 61.49%
  • Other

33 22.30%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Where is best to live in a SHTF scenario:Rural North or South (POLL)

Hands down rural south because of year round climate being more survivable.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Massena?
    Northern plains...North Dakota. Flat, few trees, lots of howling wind...
    Jeanlouise likes this.

After being in my own SHTF scenario..........Hurricane Sandy here in central New Jersey......I'll take the warmer climate......9 days here without electricty / power, lights or heat, I'm worn out and so is my family.....the cold is nothing to fool with.....day or night....IME.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I think I'll hang out with Big Foot
    tcox4freedom and mprp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    After being in my own SHTF scenario..........Hurricane Sandy here in central New Jersey......I'll take the warmer climate......9 days here without electricty / power, lights or heat, I'm worn out and so is my family.....the cold is nothing to fool with.....day or night....IME.
    There is a difference with your situation and a plan in NH for a SHTF situation (which BTW we have gone days without public power and water). We had a generator which powered the entire house, propane tank, and the house was set up to be heated with either propane, wood, or pellets. We lived like nothing happened after winter storms left folks without electiricity.

Glad you have your power back on! Hope things are back to normal.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    You'd be welcome here in SC if you could get here.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Did not mean to come across as arrogant. Let's just say I feel my odds would be much better up there.
    I agree with you here, but I would use more discretion when saying "indefinately." You gotta think about more than just your wife and kids. Think about grandkids, great grandkids, great great grandkids, etc. Kinda hard to reproduce with just your immediate family :)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    I agree with you here, but I would use more discretion when saying "indefinately." You gotta think about more than just your wife and kids. Think about grandkids, great grandkids, great great grandkids, etc. Kinda hard to reproduce with just your immediate family :)

Have you ever been to the southern Appalachian mountains? They've been reproducing within their immediate families for years....(that's why my great grandfather moved, he didn't have any pretty cousins to marry)
    mprp and steffen like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    You've never met my in-laws, have you? Think banjo player and "Deliverance."
    steffen likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Have you ever been to the southern Appalachian mountains? They've been reproducing within their immediate families for years....(that's why my great grandfather moved, he didn't have any pretty cousins to marry)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You've never met my in-laws, have you? Think banjo player and "Deliverance."
    When survival gets tougher, I'm sure their genetic superiority will really shine.

^^^ I'm saying that in a joking way, not meant to put down any of your family.

Hmm...I'm thinking warmer climate will have significantly more people. Avoiding people would be #1. I would also expect extreme weather/disasters to affect the warmer climates a lot harsher than the colder ones. Yeah bad things can happen anywhere...but can you imagine a dry season down south and an uncontrolled fire being started?

I'll take the northeast..we have have harsh winters and temperatures that fluctuate...but if your prepared I would think maybe better odds of survival (less people, more animals, less poisonous stuff to kill you, loads of harmless democrats everywhere).

Now I know what NH is my bugout place! Cooler than TX. Less people. Only tourist come north and I know folks from Boston won't go north during a SHTF scenario. In the 10 months I have been gone the economy still has been stagnant and houses for sale a year ago are still for sale. No one wants to move here.....Definitly only for the folks that are good with thier hands to live here these days. Very few professional jobs.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    WV or Virginia or surrounding states would be my pick. Plenty of rural enough areas and the weather isn't brutally hot or cold. The bugs aren't too bad, not many poisonous snakes and generally the soil is good.

I think people need to band together and pool their resources/skills. Yes, you can survive alone with your famly...but to me, that's not living...it's just existing. What if both parents die at the same time...who looks out for your little kids?
    There's safety in numbers...you just have to know who you're inviting into your group.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    In the 10 months I have been gone the economy still has been stagnant and houses for sale a year ago are still for sale. No one wants to move here.....Definitly only for the folks that are good with thier hands to live here these days. Very few professional jobs.
    So I'm guessing you aren't working for the NH Visitors and Tourists Bureau.

Nice PSA for New Hampshire...don't come here. The winters are brutal, there's no jobs and unless you work your fingers to the bone, you'll die.
    suntzu likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links