US Census - a new perspective - Page 2

US Census - a new perspective

This is a discussion on US Census - a new perspective within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; More important than headcount... how many social networking sites do you use?...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: US Census - a new perspective

More important than headcount... how many social networking sites do you use?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

My Grandmother spent the last dozen or so years of her life tracing our family history back....... with the release of census info and various websites(...and the internet in general) my mother has verified my grandmothers findings and gone back further.....

There are some positives, even if I don't agree with alot of those silly questions.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Always did like the SNL skit with Christopher Walken when the Census guy came and talked with him. Guess a bobcat is a family member..
    Classic Walken. Census Taker | Video | Saturday Night Live | NBC

I spent a lot of the census taker's time talking about ACORN and making bad sexual innuendo.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Thank you guys for the links to other site records. I have been able to trace back to about 1822 on the main blood line. Finding reliable records can be a challenge, especially that far back.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Thank you guys for the links to other site records. I have been able to trace back to about 1822 on the main blood line. Finding reliable records can be a challenge, especially that far back.
    Quite a few of my ancestors came out of the Shenandoah Valley during that time period, mostly Hites and Biblers.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I have no rich uncles, so there's no need to waste much time digging into the background.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Census = needed to determine electoral college votes for each state to have. Go read Wikipedia to understand how electoral college works if ur still confused.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

The censuses are great for genealogy research. However, it is amazing how many errors the early ones had due to either the census taker not knowing how to spell or having sloppy handwriting! It takes some real creative digging at times to find your family members. But as bad as the early ones are, it is even worse trying to research before the first census in 1790! I just wish the early ones had as much information as the later ones.
    ctr likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    The censuses are great for genealogy research. However, it is amazing how many errors the early ones had due to either the census taker not knowing how to spell or having sloppy handwriting! It takes some real creative digging at times to find your family members. But as bad as the early ones are, it is even worse trying to research before the first census in 1790! I just wish the early ones had as much information as the later ones.
    I can attest to that. The census takers often make spelling errors, or noted an age incorrectly. Most had good writing, but a few did not.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    I ignored the census because of all the demografic questions that had nothing to do with the population numbers and because i don't like being threatend with fines.They finally sent a census worker to my home i gladly answerd the questions about population but refused to answer any others.The worker said if he didn't complete the questions his supervisor would be upset.I told him to send his supervisor over to my place and i would show him all about being upset.He got real quiet and left,i think the .45 on my hip made him nervous.Anyway no fines and i wasn't botherd by the wonderful Census Bureau after that
    The easy way is always mined.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I can attest to that. The census takers often make spelling errors, or noted an age incorrectly. Most had good writing, but a few did not.
    You have to remember that back then, especially with the first couple of census periods, a fairly substantial number of Americans weren't literate. If the name was spelled wrong by the census taker, who was going to correct him?

Even in later documents the spelling is sometimes amazing. I have a copy of a Civil War pension application where the surname is spelled "Stickel" on the front, and "Stickle" on the back. (To add insult to injury the correct spelling is "Stickel", but for some reason my Father spelled it "Stickle" on all of his legal documents, and all of mine.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links