US Census - a new perspective

This is a discussion on US Census - a new perspective within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'll be the first to admit I hated participating in the census. It is none of the governments business was my attitude. I have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: US Census - a new perspective

VIP Member

I'll be the first to admit I hated participating in the census. It is none of the governments business was my attitude. I have a new perspective however.

Genealogy. Lately I have been tracing my family tree. The census data is priceless. Without that source of information, it is very difficult to trace more than a few generations back.

That is my new perspective.

I've never seen the opposition to the Census, especially when it's a constitutionally mandated thing.
    Hopyard likes this.

The census should have one question and one question only-- how many people live in your residency. All other questions are attempts to figure demographics for special interest funding and reporting. All other questions should be voluntary only.
    ccw9mm, OD*, CIBMike and 8 others like this.

I just made crap up after indicating the number of people in my house. Nothing but the head count is required in the constitution. The rest is bureaucratic garbage.
    CIBMike likes this.

VIP Member
    Ancestry.com is a great site to subscribe to for the first few months of your initial research. Here is another good one: Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records
    Once you get back to the late 1700's, this site will help you find Revolutionary War ancestral verification: DAR Genealogical Research Databases
    msgt/ret, Echo_Four and JDE101 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    I just made crap up after indicating the number of people in my house. Nothing but the head count is required in the constitution. The rest is bureaucratic garbage.
    That's true, but it changed due to changing technology and population and it makes sense for that reason.

Actually, I do believe it's still Constitutionally required to answer all questions on the census. You can't just answer the one about residency size.
    Always did like the SNL skit with Christopher Walken when the Census guy came and talked with him. Guess a bobcat is a family member.

On the Ancestry.com part, my AncestryDNA.com kit should be coming in the mail soon. My family is nothing but a bunch of mutts, so hoping to find out what my lineage is.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Actually, I do believe it's still Constitutionally required to answer all questions on the census. You can't just answer the one about residency size.
    Always did like the SNL skit with Christopher Walken when the Census guy came and talked with him. Guess a bobcat is a family member.

On the Ancestry.com part, my AncestryDNA.com kit should be coming in the mail soon. My family is nothing but a bunch of mutts, so hoping to find out what my lineage is.
    I got lucky, my lineage was given to me at 18 when I requested it as I had been adopted and it was recorded before I was given to the agency.

VIP Member
    Here is an offshoot of Ancestry.com that is free, I used it to trace my family back to 1686 and two brothers who came over from Scotland.

RootsWeb.com Home Page
    goldshellback likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Re: US Census - a new perspective

Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    This is me. I understand we need the number of people living there but that's where it stops. Just like all the questions asked now days at the doctor......guberment needs to take a step back

Sent from my DROID RAZR

In recent times they ask far too many questions that have nothing to do with the census...... and they black robes say you must answer...........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    In recent times they ask far too many questions that have nothing to do with the census...... and they black robes say you must answer...........
    I personally think it's pointless, as they probably already know through wiretapping or from making corporations tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I'll be the first to admit I hated participating in the census. It is none of the governments business was my attitude. I have a new perspective however.

Genealogy. Lately I have been tracing my family tree. The census data is priceless. Without that source of information, it is very difficult to trace more than a few generations back.

That is my new perspective.
    My feelings exactly. The just released 1940 Census filled in a few blank spaces, and even though the questions seem useless, the answers are helpful. I would like to see the Census data released after forty years, rather than the present seventy year rule. If I'm still around for the next one, I'll be more honest with my answers - my descendants will appreciate it, maybe.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My mother-in-law is really big into genealogy and the census data is very helpful to her hobby. I frankly do not remember there being more than a handful of questions on my census form, certainly not nearly as many as on the 50 pages of tax return documents I filed earlier this year.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Must have been the 1990 census, I got the "Long Form" which asked how many toilets you had etc., I filled out the name, address and how many people part then started in on all the others which I was informed I HAD to answer and answer truthfully; so I did........

NOYFB

Never heard back from them.
    wraithls1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links