The results of my deer hunting trip today...

This is a discussion on The results of my deer hunting trip today... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Caertaker Does one skin and cure the hide of a coyote? It looks pretty nice. Blah, I'm sure it would make my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The results of my deer hunting trip today...

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Does one skin and cure the hide of a coyote? It looks pretty nice. Blah, I'm sure it would make my poodle nervous if she found it on the floor in front of the fireplace...
    Depends on the 'yote, really. Some of them are pretty mangy. This one had it bad along his back, so no I didn't take the hide. I wish I could've, since this one was so big.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    We had a ranch and hosted guest hunters many years ago and one guest hunter shot a wild sheep thinking it was a deer. I really miss that place and wish I had a lot of acreage again.
    Yup, heard those stories. Had a rancher awhile back tell me about a guy that shot his daughter's mule, thinking it was a mule deer. Had it all gutted, tagged, and was strapping it onto his truck when the rancher pulled up. He never allowed another out-of-state hunter on his land again.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    How did it taste?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Yup, heard those stories. Had a rancher awhile back tell me about a guy that shot his daughter's mule, thinking it was a mule deer. Had it all gutted, tagged, and was strapping it onto his truck when the rancher pulled up. He never allowed another out-of-state hunter on his land again.
    That sounds SO much like an Urban Legend, lol!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    How did it taste?
    Most people don't eat 'yote. I know a couple that have tried it, and said it was disgusting. Take the pelt if it's good, but it's more of a population control than anything. They'll kill everything from chickens and small livestock to deer and cattle. I'm suspecting that the increased coyote numbers have something to do with the lack of deer this year.

Senior Moderator
    I have killed a few 'yotes in my time. About 10 years ago during dove season, we had just went into my cousins house to eat lunch after dove hunting that morning. We heard a ruckus being raised from one of his chicken houses, so we grab our shotguns and went a runnin'. We bust in the house and there was a coyote having a wonderful time chasing chickens, so like any red blooded American male, we unloaded our shotguns at it.

Well since it was Dove season not one of us had anything heavier than 6 shot. We killed the coyote and about 2 dozen chickens (about 10 more than the coyote did). To this day my cousins wife calls it "The Great Chicken Massacre"
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Well since it was Dove season not one of us had anything heavier than 6 shot. We killed the coyote and about 2 dozen chickens (about 10 more than the coyote did). To this day my cousins wife calls it "The Great Chicken Massacre"
    Now that's funny.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Thanks. I needed a good laugh this morning.

Not what you were expecting, eh? Caught this big fella sneaking up on a herd of cattle. First 'yote with this rifle, too. Still no deer, though. I'll admit that I haven't gotten out as much as I'd like this year, but I've only seen one deer all season! Here I am three weeks into the season and none of the usual spots are producing.
    Looks like he was well armed. :)
    pilgrimshooter likes this.

I have killed a few 'yotes in my time. About 10 years ago during dove season, we had just went into my cousins house to eat lunch after dove hunting that morning. We heard a ruckus being raised from one of his chicken houses, so we grab our shotguns and went a runnin'. We bust in the house and there was a coyote having a wonderful time chasing chickens, so like any red blooded American male, we unloaded our shotguns at it.

That's too funny!

VIP Member
    I have been bow hunting my rear end off. i hunted right through sandy and all of the cold, cold rain because the deer were moving. I have seen TONS of deer but haven't had a good buck come into bow range. I'm going back out in about 1/2 hour. I only came out of the woods to vote.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    That is a big Coyote....nice & fat.

^He does look very stocky.^^^^^^^^

My brother shot one in Gladwin Co. Mi back in the 80"s and it was very large, most likely the alpha male.

It would have put your average GSD to shame as far as size.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Now it's a good yote. I got one last winter.
    ^^^Indeed a fine dead one^^^^^^^^

I Put one down in 2010 and 1 in "11

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Now that's funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Thanks. I needed a good laugh this morning.

^^^^^Yes, that was a funny..^^^^^^^

Most likely had all the neighbors for dinner on the following Sunday
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have been bow hunting my rear end off. i hunted right through sandy and all of the cold, cold rain because the deer were moving. I have seen TONS of deer but haven't had a good buck come into bow range. I'm going back out in about 1/2 hour. I only came out of the woods to vote.
    Heck, I'd settle for a small doe, right now. A friend of mine said he's seeing more than usual out by his place, so I'll probably have to run out there this Sunday. Might be able to get a decent buck, or even a whitetail doe.

VIP Member
    Heck, I'd settle for a small doe, right now. A friend of mine said he's seeing more than usual out by his place, so I'll probably have to run out there this Sunday. Might be able to get a decent buck, or even a whitetail doe.
    I have been seeing lots of deer I just can't get a good one into bow range. Bow hunting is tough!

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have been seeing lots of deer I just can't get a good one into bow range. Bow hunting is tough!
    Ya, I wouldn't have the patience for bow hunting. I barely have the patience for hunting in general, and as you can see from my OP, I'm easily distracted. lol.

I talked to a friend of mine tonight at the after-election party, and she said I'm welcome to come out to her place Thursday and take one of the many whitetails out there. Hopefully I'll get to post another one of these threads, but with an actual deer picture next time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links