Rabbit and gravy recipe

Rabbit and gravy recipe

This is a discussion on Rabbit and gravy recipe within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not sure where to put this request. Could someone give me a nice creamy rabbit and gravy recipe? We have decided to have this for ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By xXxplosive
  • 3 Post By WHEC724
  • 2 Post By CanuckQue
  • 2 Post By Spirit51

Thread: Rabbit and gravy recipe

Rabbit and gravy recipe

Not sure where to put this request.

Could someone give me a nice creamy rabbit and gravy recipe? We have decided to have this for thanksgiving.

Thank you
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Dang!
    I thought you were posting a recipe.

The last time I had rabbit I boiled it in a salt/spice water solution for a few minutes using a pressure cooker. Then, slow roasted it in the oven (as you would a turkey) and used the drippings to create a "milk" gravy that was fantastic. But, I honestly couldn't give you the recipe. (Just season it to taste & go with your gut.)

-

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Man, this reminds me of the Thankgiving rabbit hunts my wife's family used to have before we all got too old to hunt. Some of the best times of my life right there!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I thought I was about to get a rabbit recipe.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

When I was a kid there was this old lady, probably age 80, who made the best creamy gravy and rabbit dish. I really want that recipe. She would make it every so often when her kin brought her rabbits and she would invite me to dinner. She also could wield a mean switch if you snitched off her grape vines without asking lol.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

First I skin and clean the rabbit good, wash thoroughly and then soak him in a pot with whole milk for a while in the fridge...then I dry him off and par boil the Rabbit for about 3 to 5 minutes......dry him off good again.
    I then coat him with flour, then an egg wash then bread crumbs and bake in the oven at 350 degrees.
    In a pot I make a Rou.....butter and flour.....cook it down a bit and add in mushrooms, green onions, seasoning to taste and then whole milk to make a gravy..
    When the rabbit is just about fully cooked I bring him out of the oven and place him in the pot of gravy to cook a bit more......
    Hmmmm.........great served over noodles, with rice or even potatoes.

VIP Member
    Ya'll are killing me. I haven't had fried rabbit & gravy in years... Yum!

tcox4freedom, msgt/ret and varob like this.

I mainly eat rabbit when I'm camping, and (for some strange reason) it's always insanely delicious.

I've no secret recipe. I suggest spending hours hiking in the clean mountains before eating. Nearly everything is tasty.
    tcox4freedom and msgt/ret like this.
    Consider matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to DwB donations. It's a rare for investment and charity to converge.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    I mainly eat rabbit when I'm camping, and (for some strange reason) it's always insanely delicious.

I've no secret recipe. I suggest spending hours hiking in the clean mountains before eating. Nearly everything is tasty.
    You know I am going to get the men away from the tv that day lol

My mother and grandmother did a great "smothered rabbit" (Also works for chicken and other types)

They would fry the rabbit with a flour coating...then use the dripping and make a gravy (kinda like a cajun rous).
    Then let it simmer until gravy is to the thickness they want and the rabbit is falling off the bone.
    Use spices to taste, like salt, pepper and what others you think would be good. Serve with homemade bread toasted or not.

After all these decades...still makes my mouth water. Hubby may be in later with a great cajun one he makes.
    tcox4freedom and WHEC724 like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

yes, sounds like I am going to make the gravy just like I make it for Chicken fricassee

Sponsored Links