The Walking Dead - Page 11

The Walking Dead

This is a discussion on The Walking Dead within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If they all carry the virus then why haven't they built up antibodies against it? Seems that they should be immune by now....

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: The Walking Dead

VIP Member
    If they all carry the virus then why haven't they built up antibodies against it? Seems that they should be immune by now.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    If they all carry the virus then why haven't they built up antibodies against it? Seems that they should be immune by now.
    I don't think they have given that much information out yet. Also, it may take awhile for people to build up antibodies. Look at how many Native Americans died via the small pox before it was taken under control.

That is what Rick told them that the CDC Dr. told him, they are all infected.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I believe he's saying that the agent that makes people into zombies will over work the immune system and will kill them if they receive an outside dosage as to what they're already carrying. Its true they are carrying the virus as it is and will become a zombie after they die. If they pick up more of the same agent, however, it will overpower the system, kill them and then they will turn as opposed to them living out their natural life cycle and then turning, etc.
    You got it my man, ya got it.
    DefConGun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    Not so, while they are infected the level of infection matters, hence bites (the transfer of large amounts of solanum through saliva and/or blood.) cause immediate transformation as opposed to the "natural" course of the disease that is to wait till the complete shutdown of the nervous system (I.E death.) before taking control.
    Notice I said control not effect, once a large enough body of solanum is present it attacks the nervous system causing pain in random body parts, general motor skill loss, bad vision ,haggard breath and difficulty in thought processes. That is when the body fights back with fever that ends with death. Ironically the very thing that leads to complete control of the host body.
    Transfer of fluids isn't exactly necessary because eventually the solanum would reproduce in the host body and go through the process, but that would take (Apparently.) a very long time and we either haven't seen it (Yet!) or a person would likely die by natural cases before such an amount would ever occur.
    All hints point to it (solanum.) being a solid transfer (water,food,blood,etc.) of material and not in the air. Otherwise breathing around a zed would infect you, obviously not the case.
    If it's not so then Rick lied to the group about the CDC Dr. telling him they were all infected.

Once again, Shane was not bit before he turned and he turned within a few minutes. And the kid they held captive was not bit either and turned quickly.

I guess I missed all of the medical talk of solanum.

If you are reading the comics pleased DO NOT spoil the story line to come.

Why dont people build up antibody's to hiv/aids? Because the disease uses the immune system against itself. Remember zombies (in these story's.) are an amalgam of the homeless,HIV victims and natural disasters like floods or earthquakes.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I believe he's saying that the agent that makes people into zombies will over work the immune system and will kill them if they receive an outside dosage as to what they're already carrying. Its true they are carrying the virus as it is and will become a zombie after they die. If they pick up more of the same agent, however, it will overpower the system, kill them and then they will turn as opposed to them living out their natural life cycle and then turning, etc.
    That makes sense.

With the 2 exceptions I made about how fast Shane and "the kid" turned after death without being bit.

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    If it's not so then Rick lied to the group about the CDC Dr. telling him they were all infected.

Once again, Shane was not bit before he turned and he turned within a few minutes. And the kid they held captive was not bit either and turned quickly.

The difference between being "infected" (everyone whos still alive and unbit.) and "turned" (grrrrr.) is the amount of the infection, not whether or not you are infected.
    While I have read the comics this isnt necessarily from (or not from.) the comics so much as general Romero zombie fact.
    darbo likes this.

That makes sense.

With the 2 exceptions I made about how fast Shane and "the kid" turned after death without being bit.
    There is enough in "there" to control a dead (no immune system to deal with.) body but not a living one. once the body temp lowers and there's no resistance the disease takes over.
    Its not "death" that triggers the turn its the lack of resistance by the body. A healthy body can fight the illness to a standstill without beating it but a dead body cant do anything.
    There is a theory that someone with a compromised immune system would turn without being bitten or dying from another cause. Just a theory, one I happen to believe.
    darbo likes this.

VIP Member

I have no idea where "Solanum" came from either. I think it must be in the Graphic novel because I never heard it in the tv series.

All this antigen / antibody/ immune response talk is sucking the fun out of Zombies. Can't we just enjoy watching the heads roll?
    DefConGun and 1 old 0311 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I have no idea where "Solanum" came from either. I think it must be in the Graphic novel because I never heard it in the tv series.

All this antigen / antibody/ immune response talk is sucking the fun out of Zombies. Can't we just enjoy watching the heads roll?
    LOL it's all fun JeanLouise!
    DefConGun likes this.

Solanum
    Solanum - Zombie Wiki - Zombies, Undead, Survival Guide
    Its not exactly how the walking dead authors make zombies work but its a general zombie fiction word that we (Geeks.) tend to use a lot.

VIP Member
    darbo, you aren't paying very close attention... Everyone who is bit dies very soon after, period. As has been pointed out, it doesn't matter that they are already "infected," the bite - and ensuing transfer of bodily fluids - kills you in and of itself. Once you are dead (either from the bite, or from any other cause), you re-animate as a Z.

That said, the little bitty cut from glass that had touched water (or whatever it was) that held a Z head NOT turning Michonne/the Guv is a pretty minor point, when you consider the following:

1) Michonne, with a gaping, open bullet wound in her leg, was DRENCHED in zombie guts. A ton of bodily fluids would have gotten into that huge, open wound.

2) Many characters, but Rick especially when he was on his "Lori revenge killing spree," have had their faces literally covered in zombie gore. The eyes, nose, and mouth are all permeable membranes, and diseases get in through them all the time. It makes no sense that a bite can do it, but having the blood pour into your mouth cannot.

3) Who is mowing the lawn at the prison (and everywhere else, for that matter).

4) Why did Glen rip out the bones of the zombie to use as weapons, instead of the smashed up chair that he used to kill the zombie in the first place? (As an addendum, if these zombie limbs are so weak that they can simply be pulled off by a relatively small guy, they wouldn't be strong enough to support the zombies in the first place. As another addendum, why are the zombie's skulls made out of crepe paper? Seriously, the most dangerous weapon in TWD universe would be a dull pencil...)

5) HOW DID THAT ZOMBIE EAT LORI'S SKULL, FEMURS, AND PELVIS?!?! HOW DID 130lbs (I looked it up) OF LORI FIT INTO THE BELLY OF A 180lb "MAN?" WHY DID THIS ZOMBIE DECIDE TO DRAG HIS MEAL INTO A BACK CORNER TO EAT IT? BETTER AMBIANCE? (Ok, I'm a little worked up over that one, but it's just sooooooooooo stupid.)

And Edward, I recognize your zombie bona fides, but quit mixing media. They aren't Romero z's, they aren't World War Z z's, they are TWD z's. Just as there are 100,000,000 different vampires, there are equally as many zombies. It isn't the difference between TWD zombies and other zombies that bothers me, it is the internal inconsistencies (and outright defiance of physics) that bothers me....
    Last edited by OPFOR; December 4th, 2012 at 03:52 AM.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    darbo, you aren't paying very close attention... Everyone who is bit dies very soon after, period. As has been pointed out, it doesn't matter that they are already "infected," the bite - and ensuing transfer of bodily fluids - kills you in and of itself. Once you are dead (either from the bite, or from any other cause), you re-animate as a Z.

That said, the little bitty cut from glass that had touched water (or whatever it was) that held a Z head NOT turning Michonne/the Guv is a pretty minor point, when you consider the following:

1) Michonne, with a gaping, open bullet wound in her leg, was DRENCHED in zombie guts. A ton of bodily fluids would have gotten into that huge, open wound.

2) Many characters, but Rick especially when he was on his "Lori revenge killing spree," have had their faces literally covered in zombie gore. They eyes, nose, and mouth are all permeable membranes, and diseases get in through them all the time. It makes no sense that a bite can do it, but having the blood pour into your mouth cannot.

3) Who is mowing the lawn at the prison (and everywhere else, for that matter).

4) Why did Glen rip out the bones of the zombie to use as weapons, instead of the smashed up chair that he used to kill the zombie in the first place? (As an addendum, if these zombie limbs are so weak that they can simply be pulled off by a relatively small guy, they wouldn't be strong enough to support the zombies in the first place. As another addendum, why are the zombie's skulls made out of crepe paper? Seriously, the most dangerous weapon in TWD universe would be a dull pencil...)

5) HOW DID THAT ZOMBIE EAT LORI'S SKULL, FEMURS, AND PELVIS?!?! HOW DID 130lbs (I looked it up) OF LORI FIT INTO THE BELLY OF A 180lb "MAN?" WHY DID THIS ZOMBIE DECIDE TO DRAG HIS MEAL INTO A BACK CORNER TO EAT IT? BETTER AMBIANCE? (Ok, I'm a little worked up over that one, but it's just sooooooooooo stupid.)

And Edward, I recognize your zombie bona fides, but quit mixing media. There aren't Romero z's, they aren't World War Z z's, they are TWD z's. Just as there are 100,000,000 different vampires, there are equally as many zombies. It isn't the difference between TWD zombies and other zombies that bothers me, it is the internal inconsistencies (and outright defiance of physics) that bothers me....
    Oh I got it. I think I even said at one point "that makes sense"! Besides it is just a TV show and I haven't gotten into the zombie thing as far as Solanum. It isn't that important to me. It's just a little entertainment on Sunday night!

^^^^^^^ This.

And guns, talk about guns. That's what we're all here for...
    darbo likes this.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Links