The Walking Dead

This is a discussion on The Walking Dead within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OPFOR darbo, you aren't paying very close attention... Everyone who is bit dies very soon after, period. As has been pointed out, ...

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    darbo, you aren't paying very close attention... Everyone who is bit dies very soon after, period. As has been pointed out, it doesn't matter that they are already "infected," the bite - and ensuing transfer of bodily fluids - kills you in and of itself. Once you are dead (either from the bite, or from any other cause), you re-animate as a Z.

That said, the little bitty cut from glass that had touched water (or whatever it was) that held a Z head NOT turning Michonne/the Guv is a pretty minor point, when you consider the following:

1) Michonne, with a gaping, open bullet wound in her leg, was DRENCHED in zombie guts. A ton of bodily fluids would have gotten into that huge, open wound.

The komodo dragons saliva has many diseases, but you can eat one (cooked.) because its NOT in the blood.

2) Many characters, but Rick especially when he was on his "Lori revenge killing spree," have had their faces literally covered in zombie gore. They eyes, nose, and mouth are all permeable membranes, and diseases get in through them all the time. It makes no sense that a bite can do it, but having the blood pour into your mouth cannot.

Blood doesn't contain "live" culture outside the host body or "zombie".

3) Who is mowing the lawn at the prison (and everywhere else, for that matter).

Scruffy.

4) Why did Glen rip out the bones of the zombie to use as weapons, instead of the smashed up chair that he used to kill the zombie in the first place? (As an addendum, if these zombie limbs are so weak that they can simply be pulled off by a relatively small guy, they wouldn't be strong enough to support the zombies in the first place. As another addendum, why are the zombie's skulls made out of crepe paper? Seriously, the most dangerous weapon in TWD universe would be a dull pencil...)

This one gets me too, my girlfriend has an answer (Of course she would...) "the disease may stop the rebuilding of bone the way it obviously stops skin and muscles from healing." And i think it works, as good as anything else anyway.

5) HOW DID THAT ZOMBIE EAT LORI'S SKULL, FEMURS, AND PELVIS?!?! HOW DID 130lbs (I looked it up) OF LORI FIT INTO THE BELLY OF A 180lb "MAN?" WHY DID THIS ZOMBIE DECIDE TO DRAG HIS MEAL INTO A BACK CORNER TO EAT IT? BETTER AMBIANCE? (Ok, I'm a little worked up over that one, but it's just sooooooooooo stupid.)

Um....He was a competitive eater?

And Edward, I recognize your zombie bona fides, ( Why thank you!) but quit mixing media. There aren't Romero z's, * they aren't World War Z z's, they are TWD z's. Just as there are 100,000,000 different vampires, there are equally as many zombies. It isn't the difference between TWD zombies and other zombies that bothers me, it is the internal inconsistencies (and outright defiance of physics) that bothers me....
    * When in doubt ALL zombies are Romero zombies. And the author has said that he was heavily influenced by Romero so im going with that for now.

Also there are only 4 different zombies , Romero,runners,infected and magic/voodoo. (this ignores "alien" zombies because we all know they go to the alien sub not zombie!)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    ElkSniper, be careful what you ask for... If you get me started on all the incredibly stupid gun choices and incredibly unrealistic gun usage in the show, we'll be here all week.

And Edward, I can (sort of) accept your basic premise that it's not in the blood...except that they specifically say in one episode that it IS in the blood. At least I think so, I'll have to find it and re-watch to make sure that I'm not talking out of my fourth point of contact, but I am almost certain that in the scene where they are smearing zombie goop all over themselves in order to "blend in," they mention something along the lines of "be careful not to get it on ya," the implication being "because then you'll die." Now, they could simply have been wrong about the vector, but it would have been nice for that to also have been specifically mentioned, since they went so far as to specifically mention the dangers of getting the blood on you in the first place.

And as for the "rebuilding" of bone...what does that mean? The whole outbreak is less than a year old - if the skin and flesh (and eyes and other soft tissues) are still on, and the muscles not even atrophied to any real degree (unless it suits the plot for a small guy to be able to pull an arm OFF of a z), then the skull - hard, solid, beefy bone that it is - would still be the skull. These guys poke knives (and even less likely objects) through these skulls as if they are all made of hot Jello pudding. If that were the case, any time a zombie fell over (which would be often, as clumsy as they seem to be), they would break their skulls open and "die" again. Just hide out for a couple of weeks, and the apocalypse would be over, as the zombies tripped over things....

And just to get your blood boiling: 28 Days Later - zombies or not?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Its accepted by the community that they're zombies of the 3rd type, infected. Infected zombies are still alive but in a rabies sort of way. Examples: left 4 dead or resident evil.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    ElkSniper, be careful what you ask for... If you get me started on all the incredibly stupid gun choices and incredibly unrealistic gun usage in the show, we'll be here all week.

Any show. None of them exercise realistic gun usage.

And Edward, I can (sort of) accept your basic premise that it's not in the blood...except that they specifically say in one episode that it IS in the blood. At least I think so, I'll have to find it and re-watch to make sure that I'm not talking out of my fourth point of contact, but I am almost certain that in the scene where they are smearing zombie goop all over themselves in order to "blend in," they mention something along the lines of "be careful not to get it on ya," the implication being "because then you'll die." Now, they could simply have been wrong about the vector, but it would have been nice for that to also have been specifically mentioned, since they went so far as to specifically mention the dangers of getting the blood on you in the first place.

Probably not going to happen unless they come in contact with another scientist or "real" doctor.

And as for the "rebuilding" of bone...what does that mean? The whole outbreak is less than a year old - if the skin and flesh (and eyes and other soft tissues) are still on, and the muscles not even atrophied to any real degree (unless it suits the plot for a small guy to be able to pull an arm OFF of a z), then the skull - hard, solid, beefy bone that it is - would still be the skull. These guys poke knives (and even less likely objects) through these skulls as if they are all made of hot Jello pudding. If that were the case, any time a zombie fell over (which would be often, as clumsy as they seem to be), they would break their skulls open and "die" again. Just hide out for a couple of weeks, and the apocalypse would be over, as the zombies tripped over things....

Well, you're body repairs you're bones everyday because small areas "break" or bruise and like any cell has an expiration date. Some illnesses can quickly make bones fragile I don't think you can walk at that point. Then again they can do other things we cant like lose an arm and keep walking like it never happened, because one of they're very few advantages against humans is not being hampered by pain.

And just to get your blood boiling: 28 Days Later - zombies or not?
    I don't really consider "rabies" zombies to be zombies but im in the minority and have accepted the decision of the community.

What pisses me off the most about this T.V. show is that we now have to wait until February for it to resume!
    357and40 likes this.

VIP Member
    Yes, almost every TV show/movie has poor and/or unrealistic gun usage, but TWD is particularly bad about it.

Still not buying the "it's in the blood...unless we want it not to be in the blood." Lack of internal consistency - even in a "fantasy" type scenario - is bad storytelling.

Well, you're body repairs you're bones everyday because small areas "break" or bruise and like any cell has an expiration date. Some illnesses can quickly make bones fragile...
    Exactly. The skulls are paper thin, but the rest of the bones are peachy-keen? The ulna and radius are strong enough to serve as daggers, but the friggin' SKULL can be pushed in by a lukewarm stick of butter? Lack of internal consistency. Irks me, I tell ya.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I have no idea where "Solanum" came from either. I think it must be in the Graphic novel because I never heard it in the tv series.

All this antigen / antibody/ immune response talk is sucking the fun out of Zombies. Can't we just enjoy watching the heads roll?
    See wikipedia for the info on the "solanum virus." "Solanum, the nightshades, horsenettles and relatives, are a large and diverse genus of annual and perennial plants"

"Solanum virus, a fictional virus referred to in The Zombie Survival Guide that causes the zombie apocalypse."

It is also a potato virus (two strains).
    Last edited by 357and40; December 4th, 2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: formatting
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

F.Y.I.

A new episode of The Walking Dead airs tonight followed by an hour of The Talking Dead.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Ex Member
    Anyone notice in one of the preview trailers 'The Governor' had his left eye stitched where where it was stabbed with the aquarium glass but in the other shots it is his RIGHT eye with the patch?

Hooked on the show, yes. It's my one t.v. vice. I have been watching it since season one. True that there are some unrealistic aspects to the show, but it is a science fiction/horror show after all. The show is based on a comic written by a man in Kentucky. See we crank out more than tobacco, illicit drugs, moonshine, thoroughbreds, and stereotypes of southern folks. In answer to one question of a 180 lb man eating a 130 lb woman, there is a part of the brain that tells us when we are full. At one time in a psychology class we were taught what it was called and where it was located(have forgotten that fact). What if the virus destroys or shuts down that part of the brain? The bones missing are a good point, the prison wasn't actually secure and scavengers could have dragged off/eaten the remains? Rats are very opportunistic eaters. There was also more than one zombie in that area of the prison. Just throwing out some theories.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Anyone notice in one of the preview trailers 'The Governor' had his left eye stitched where where it was stabbed with the aquarium glass but in the other shots it is his RIGHT eye with the patch?
    He was looking at himself in a mirror. D'OH!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Can't wait! I'm catching up on a few older episodes right now.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

FEBRUARY 10TH IS FINALLY HERE!!! My son was with my dad this weekend, so we've had it on as background noise since the second he walked out the door! I love the kid to death, but I couldn't wait for him to leave so we could stop watching Animaniacs and Sponge Bob and turn on TWD repeats! Is that wrong?!

If you haven't Zombie'd yourself (The Walking Dead: Dead Yourself) you must! Too much fun!!

I can handle the Animaniacs much better than I can Spongebob. As far as the upcoming episode of The Walking Dead , I am rooting for Darryl to beat Merle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    I can handle the Animaniacs much better than I can Spongebob. As far as the upcoming episode of The Walking Dead , I am rooting for Darryl to beat Merle.
    Do you think they'll really fight or will something happen before they start.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Links