My 911 encounter a few days ago - Page 2

My 911 encounter a few days ago

This is a discussion on My 911 encounter a few days ago within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by JoJoGunn Maybe this Dispatcher is not familiar with the area. It is a definite possibility. I guess but this isn't a huge ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: My 911 encounter a few days ago

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Maybe this Dispatcher is not familiar with the area. It is a definite possibility.
    I guess but this isn't a huge town and I bet every single police officer on the force knows exactly where the 7-11 on Winchester Ave. is. Many of their arrests are made in the parking lot.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Knowing nothing of your town but having done fifteen years on 9-1-1 I will play devil's (call takers) advocate based on personal experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    A few days ago I was driving down a fairly main street in my town and I see a man lying on the sidewalk.
    (not all that unusual for my town considering the drug problem). I called 911 and said, There's a man lying on the sidewalk on Winchester Ave. about a block from 7-11"
    This does not tell the call taker that the 7-11 is on Winchester Ave. There could be a cross street (or multiple) with a 7-11 one block off Winchester Ave. The above statement could be interpreted as referring to one of them.
    Dispatcher- what's the address?
    me- I don't know but he's lying on the sidewalk a block from 7-11
    Most public safety answering points use computer aided dispatch systems. Without a proper address in the system a call can not be generated (technology making our lives easier). Most systems will accept exact addresses, hundred blocks, or intersections.
    Dispatcher- which 7-11?
    me- the one on Winchester Ave.
    Depending on the agency budget they can have a common place name file added (notihng is free) which would allow the calltaker to enter "S-11" (what our CAD used) or their equivalent and the computer would then list every address in the database associated to that common place name. The call taker then has to sort through the list and pick the correct one.
    Dispatcher-what's he wearing?
    me- (I actually started to laugh) I don't know what he's wearing but he's the ONLY ONE LAYING ON THE SIDEWALK ONE BLOCK FROM THE WINCHESTER AVE. 7-11.
    The one time they don't ask a clothing description is the one time that the officer/ambulance will be coming from the other side of the 7-11 and someone else will fall down one block that side of the 7-11 thirty seconds before they get there.
    As I used to tell my rookies, a mistake like that can make you famous.
    geez...like there are 5 men lying on the sidewalk but I'm calling about this specific one.
    It does happen.
    Something else to keep in mind is that with budgets being what they are, a lot of jurisdictions are pooling high dollar resources when they can. The person answering your 9-1-1 call may actually be one or two counties away and taking calls for five counties and a dozen municipalities. They just enter a valid location and call type in the system and the computers do the rest. They may have never set foot in your town. In my county we had five Maple Ave. Two of them with the same hundred blocks. If the caller was referring to a high rise building that was in city of Takoma Park (hold on while I transfer you....) if it was a single family home it was in the city of Rockville. The other problem with common place names is they are common. Maryland route 355 (Wisconsin Ave, Rockville Pike, Hungerford Dr, N. Frederick Ave, Frederick Rd, Urbana Pike, S. Market St. N. Market St) runs from the D.C. line through the city of Frederick Md. The road itself starts in Georgetown right down at the Potomac River and runs North for about thirty miles. It is the main drag through Montgomery County.

Care to hazard a guess as to how many McDonalds, Exxon's, Wendy's, 7-11's and Shell stations are "the one on 355"?
    RAL likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

RAL
    In our county we have a central 911 operations center. I would not expect an operator to know anything about my town (one of several in the county), BUT I figure after you had told her several times, she would have gotten the message. Also, sometimes they have already dispatched PD/FD and are just trying to get more information for their report. I have heard several 911 operators who were clueless and others who are worth much more than they are paid! Just like any other job, some are good at it and others need to do something else.

Thank you mcp1810! You said it much better than I could have. We were composing at the same time.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

VIP Member
    mcp1810...As I said, it's a small town (less than 18,000 people), narrow 2 lanes streets, no big intersections like the area you're describing. I know that whole area well as we used to live in Falls Church near bazillion lane Tysons Corner.

Winchester Ave. only goes south because it dead ends on King St., the corner where the 7-11 is located. I could walk in 45 seconds to the area I was describing. The dispatcher was in our town, at least that's what she said when she answered.

I'm not laughing at the dispatcher, I laughed at the crazy conversation.

Next time I call in I'm going to say I sighted a crawler a block down from 7-11 on Winchester Ave.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I've met a few 911 operators...not surprised by your experience.

mcp1810...As I said, it's a small town (less than 18,000 people), narrow 2 lanes streets, no big intersections like the area you're describing. I know that whole area well as we used to live in Falls Church near bazillion lane Tysons Corner.

Winchester Ave. only goes south because it dead ends on King St., the corner where the 7-11 is located. I could walk in 45 seconds to the area I was describing. The dispatcher was in our town, at least that's what she said when she answered.

I'm not laughing at the dispatcher, I laughed at the crazy conversation.

Next time I call in I'm going to say I sighted a crawler a block down from 7-11 on Winchester Ave.
    I understand your situation and don't mean to sound like I am picking on you. But your story helps to illustrate some common misconceptions about 9-1-1. Local presence does not even guarantee local knowledge. At one point on my shift I had coworkers that commuted from Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, and Martinsburg. Their local knowledge consisted of the drive between I-270 and our building.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Local presence does not even guarantee local knowledge. At one point on my shift I had coworkers that commuted from Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, and Martinsburg. Their local knowledge consisted of the drive between I-270 and our building.
    I understand and concur.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I understand your situation and don't mean to sound like I am picking on you. But your story helps to illustrate some common misconceptions about 9-1-1. Local presence does not even guarantee local knowledge. At one point on my shift I had coworkers that commuted from Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, and Martinsburg. Their local knowledge consisted of the drive between I-270 and our building.
    I would hope there would be some training...perhaps even including maps and field trips for local knowledge. But, then again, maybe not.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    " I don't know what he's wearing but he's the ONLY ONE LAYING ON THE SIDEWALK ONE BLOCK FROM THE WINCHESTER AVE. 7-11." , Now that there is funny. My wife called TX.DOT this morning to report tire debris on IH-10 near us. People were swerving and slamming on their brakes. The person who answered the phone took the report then asked my wife her name. Maybe this is policy. Do people call in false debris reports?
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Tell them its a WALKER! Maybe that'll speed up the process!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    Several years ago, one of my wife's coworkers bought a boat. (I'm guessing his first boat.) They launched the boat and took off down the lake. I'm not exactly sure of all of the details that happened next, but the boat sank. They managed to keep their cell phones dry in the process and dialed 911 to report their plight. The operator asked for their location, where they launched from and which direction they went from there. The operator then asks for a description of the boat. I'm sure that is part of a checklist of things they are required to ask, but in this situation it seems rather silly. "Let's see, it's 18 feet long, has a Mercury motor, it's white with red and blue stripes and oh yeah, IT'S COVERED BY 80 FEET OF WATER."
    Oh yeah and it doesn't have a drain plug in it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    I have also had really redundant conversations with 911 dispatch. I have repeated info several times over and still they got the call wrong. I understand it is a stressful job and responses are often scripted. But gee whiz, listen to what I am telling you and quit reading the script for just a moment, please. Training should include scenarios that are not cookie-cutters. I thank all the dispatchers who are there for us all the time.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Sounds like some conversations I've had with tow truck dispatchers.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I would hope there would be some training...perhaps even including maps and field trips for local knowledge. But, then again, maybe not.
    A big part of the problem is chronic understaffing of 9-1-1 centers. When I worked evening shift we tried to arrange for me to take my rookies on a familiarization ride. We would take a county car and spend four hours driving the areas they were least familiar with. Only problem is if someone called in sick that day we would have to work a radio. One rookie got two rides, others got none. That was just the way it worked out.

Part of their class room training was basic geography of the county. What where the major state highways (by name and number) and which districts they ran through. What were the major shopping centers and what district were they in. We also had map books at every console (and every rookie was issued one) plus we had a giant map of the entire county covering a wall of the radio room.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    " I don't know what he's wearing but he's the ONLY ONE LAYING ON THE SIDEWALK ONE BLOCK FROM THE WINCHESTER AVE. 7-11." , Now that there is funny. My wife called TX.DOT this morning to report tire debris on IH-10 near us. People were swerving and slamming on their brakes. The person who answered the phone took the report then asked my wife her name. Maybe this is policy. Do people call in false debris reports?
    I had an officer ask me for a clothing description after I dispatched him for a "naked middle aged white male standing in the middle of the intersection at Georgia Avenue and Forest Glenn Road."
    Some times the reason for getting a name is in case they need to contact the caller later. Some states accept liability for stuff like pothole damage to vehicles if the damage occurs after the pothole has been reported. In those states it is not unusual for people to call in bogus damage claims. If I file a claim and say that the debris took out both of my front tires ten minutes before your wife called it in an investigator might call her and ask if she saw me there.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I have also had really redundant conversations with 911 dispatch. I have repeated info several times over and still they got the call wrong. I understand it is a stressful job and responses are often scripted. But gee whiz, listen to what I am telling you and quit reading the script for just a moment, please. Training should include scenarios that are not cookie-cutters. I thank all the dispatchers who are there for us all the time.
    Training is evolving. When I started I spent four hours a day for a week in storage room with a supervisor with flash cards to learn ten codes and status codes and then it was sitting on the floor observing. Start of the second week I was taking calls with my trainer sitting next to me listening in. After going three years without a rookie making permanent status the institutional inertia gave way and we were allowed to change things.
    Rookies now don't get on the operations floor until they have completed six weeks of classroom. That includes simulations. After they show competency on the phones (about six months) they go back for radio simulations. Total training cycle is twelve to eighteen months. When I left we were able to get about thirty percent of our rookies to make permanent status. Prior to our new applicant screening process we only retained three to five percent.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I just had a similar issue communicating with a dispatcher, calling in a drunk driver, and I was calling on the radio from my zone car.

Some of the things you hear on the radio, crazy, like:

"Respond to a fully involved structure fire at 123 XXX St."

"Dispatcher, Engine 1 responding. Which way do I turn onto XXX St."

"I'm not sure, but it will be the one with all the smoke and fire."
    Responding to a tractor fire:

"Engine 1 reporting smoke showing, still en route."

"Engine 2 on scene, fire showing, NO SMOKE SHOWING, owner is attempting to extinguish fire."

"Engine 2 now reporting light smoke showing."
    "Engine 1 responding."

(TWO MINUTES LATER!)

"Engine 1 to dispatch, can you give me directions to the scene from the station?"
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links