My 911 encounter a few days ago

This is a discussion on My 911 encounter a few days ago within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A few days ago I was driving down a fairly main street in my town and I see a man lying on the sidewalk. (not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: My 911 encounter a few days ago

VIP Member

A few days ago I was driving down a fairly main street in my town and I see a man lying on the sidewalk.
    (not all that unusual for my town considering the drug problem). I called 911 and said, There's a man lying on the sidewalk on Winchester Ave. about a block from 7-11"
    Dispatcher- what's the address?
    me- I don't know but he's lying on the sidewalk a block from 7-11
    Dispatcher- which 7-11?
    me- the one on Winchester Ave.
    Dispatcher-what's he wearing?
    me- (I actually started to laugh) I don't know what he's wearing but he's the ONLY ONE LAYING ON THE SIDEWALK ONE BLOCK FROM THE WINCHESTER AVE. 7-11.

geez...like there are 5 men lying on the sidewalk but I'm calling about this specific one.
    mr.stuart likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

makes you wonder eh?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Re: My 911 encounter a few days ago

Cops are sometimes crazy, and dispatchers too. - New from Oklahoma : two officers from Muskogee under investigation for tear gassing and tasering a woman (are you ready?) handcuffed to a hospital bed in the Muskogee Regional Medical Center.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Quote Originally Posted by DroidGeorge View Post
    Cops are sometimes crazy, and dispatchers too. - New from Oklahoma : two officers from Muskogee under investigation for tear gassing and tasering a woman (are you ready?) handcuffed to a hospital bed in the Muskogee Regional Medical Center.

George
    It sounds crazy, but aren't police and corrections officers required to use force to stop an individual in custody from causing harm to themselves? The headline is probably just out of context.

VIP Member

George
    Are you kidding me! That should go well in court.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Oh and about the original post. I'm sure the operator was just following a checklist. Sounds like you responded appropriately by repeating, MAN IN THE ROAD BY THE 7-11 ON WINCHESTER AVE!!!!! Any of the other details were irrelevant.

Maybe if you called in "Shots Fired" they would have responded faster............or Hmmmm........maybe not.

How big of a road is Winchester Ave? Maybe there are several 7-11's on it?

Maybe the guy would wake up and walk away and they wanted a description of his clothes to help find him?

VIP Member
    He could've been playing possum. Sounds like the dispatcher gets that there's a man on the ground. But he could be crawling slowly, and you just didn't notice. Then, if there are higher priority calls in the cue, he could be gone by the time the cops get there and start a search. Maybe I'm over thinking it.
    (You think a man laying on the sidewalk is not unusual? You should come to Hollyweird and see some of the things that aren't unusual - a guy somersaulting across Sunset Blvd? Just a few horn blows. Don't ask how I know this ;) ).
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    How big of a road is Winchester Ave? Maybe there are several 7-11's on it?

Maybe the guy would wake up and walk away and they wanted a description of his clothes to help find him?
    No, we only have 2 7-11's in town. One on Winchester Ave and one completely across town.
    I'm not really critizing the dispatcher because she probably was reading from a script as Steffen said. It just seemed to devolve into comedy so quickly.
    Last edited by Jeanlouise; November 13th, 2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

George
    Bad girl, bad girl; whatcha gonna do when they taser you...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Sue?

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Several years ago, one of my wife's coworkers bought a boat. (I'm guessing his first boat.) They launched the boat and took off down the lake. I'm not exactly sure of all of the details that happened next, but the boat sank. They managed to keep their cell phones dry in the process and dialed 911 to report their plight. The operator asked for their location, where they launched from and which direction they went from there. The operator then asks for a description of the boat. I'm sure that is part of a checklist of things they are required to ask, but in this situation it seems rather silly. "Let's see, it's 18 feet long, has a Mercury motor, it's white with red and blue stripes and oh yeah, IT'S COVERED BY 80 FEET OF WATER."
    JoJoGunn, Jeanlouise and mkh like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I once called 911 when I was exiting the interstate and saw a trucker trying to extinguish a brake fire. By the time I got my phone out and called, I'd left the highway and was headed into town. Told the dispatcher who I was, what was happening, and exact location of the vehicle. She insisted on knowing where I was (?). I'm headed home. "Where is that?" What difference does that make, send the dang fire dept. out to help the guy--and I hung up. (Patience is not my strong point.)

A few blocks farther and I see the FD rounding the corner. I guess she finally got the mesage I didn't need the help.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Maybe this Dispatcher is not familiar with the area. It is a definite possibility.

I went to Columbus, OH once and got a bit lost. I went into a convenience store to ask directions on how to get back on the loop around the city and the clerk said "I have no idea and I don't know nothing" and went back to whatever he was doing.

I found the way back on the loop but shook my head at the lack of knowledge the knucklehead behind the counter posessed. Maybe the 9-1-1 opperator needs some more training in Geography.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links