Did you learn something new today?-Fun thread about gun and other new things - Page 3

Did you learn something new today?-Fun thread about gun and other new things

This is a discussion on Did you learn something new today?-Fun thread about gun and other new things within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by suntzu Ever learn something new and interesting? I was talking to a friend of mine who is getting a PhD in History. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Did you learn something new today?-Fun thread about gun and other new things

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Ever learn something new and interesting? I was talking to a friend of mine who is getting a PhD in History. He told me that high quality drawing paper is often referred to as cartridge paper - before brass cartridges gunpowder and a ball were wrapped in paper of high quality for ease of loading the single shot muzzle loading guns.
    Mostly muskets and fowlers. Most rifles were loaded from a powder horn and measure with a patched ball during the mid to late 1700's and early 1800's. (Also there were guns with rifled barrels produced in Germany in the 1600's.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidboot View Post
    I learned that very few Germans can pronounce the word "squirrel".
    It doesn't rhyme with eichhernchen.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I learned that my new, real genuine, artificial imitation, hear everything, super whiz-bang, copycat electronic ear muffs, with almost a thousand reviews, still don't work unless you wear earplugs with them at the indoor range, and barely tolerable without earplugs at outdoor ranges (hope all that wasn't too hard to follow?).

They were Howard Leight Sport Impact muffs (I bought two, one for wife, same results). Friends don't let friends damage their hearing.

Could it be true that "you get what you pay for" actually has some credibility?

I'm German and I just pronounced "squirrel" properly. Did you hear it?

Sorry for the tome, but this is my first post, and I wanted it to be helpful. You may not get another post outta me for a few years...
    atctimmy likes this.

Unfortunately, I just learned that if one steps on ones pants cuff when going down stairs, one has a tendency to go down the stairs much more rapidly than desired. Also that ones butt and head make funny sounds when bouncing off the steps.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Moderator
    Today I learned that one half of the class that I sat in today for INPO training in Atlanta,Georgia, thought that it was really cool to be able to own suppressors, sawed off shotguns and short barreled rifles and that the other half of the class of trainers from Illinois, Massachusetts,New Jersey, New York and California, were absolutely terrified of the prospect of being able to own any of the above.

It was interesting to me, that the Trainers from Tennessee,Florida,Georgia, Virginia and Texas wanted to find out more, and rest of the Trainers didn't want to have anything to do with them.

Still a lot of misconceptions out there about that stuff.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    I learned a couple of days ago if you accidently shrink a shirt in the dryer (I do this to often) that you can get it wet, stretch it out by hand and hang dry and it will dry pretty unshrunk.

I also learned (heard, haven't verified) that the four universal rules of firearms came from the navy seals.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Today I learned a luncheon isn't just for bored housewives and soccer moms. I received my invitation to the VA's "Caring for our Caregivers" luncheon at the end of the month. I'm really looking forward to going to hear the guest speaker and also speak with other care givers about their methods, experiences, perspectives, understandings, etc. in regards to PTSD and TBI (the veteran I care for suffers from both severely).
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I grew up in an Ialian Catholic family and always was fascinated about how they selected the pope. Pretty much everyone knows about the smoke coming from the roof of the Sistine Chapel, what I did not know is they put the chimmeny up just for this occasion (electing a new Pope). I just assumed it was part of the chapel.

Chimney raised over Sistine Chapel as cardinals prepare for conclave - CNN.com
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I learned that my boss is a, Well you know.

VIP Member
    I learned that I'm getting furloughed. Darn you fiscal cliff!
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I just laughed out loud....I hope this was meant to be funny and you're not having a bad day.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

VIP Member
    Nope, it's very not funny. But I'm very blessed to have a job. It's going to be a little harder for the next six months but we'll survive.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I learned Friday, first hand, why people say anytime a attorney opens his mouth he is telling a lie. I just fired my attorney for that very reason.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I learned that some new members to this forum don't take the time to learn the forum, instead they quote rules and fail to understand the definition of "Off Topic" is.
    suntzu likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Nope, it's very not funny. But I'm very blessed to have a job. It's going to be a little harder for the next six months but we'll survive.
    Best of luck - it may come my way soon, if not worse than a furlough.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links