Did you learn something new today?-Fun thread about gun and other new things

This is a discussion on Did you learn something new today?-Fun thread about gun and other new things within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ever learn something new and interesting? I was talking to a friend of mine who is getting a PhD in History. He told me that ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Did you learn something new today?-Fun thread about gun and other new things

Did you learn something new today?-Fun thread about gun and other new things

Ever learn something new and interesting? I was talking to a friend of mine who is getting a PhD in History. He told me that high quality drawing paper is often referred to as cartridge paper - before brass cartridges gunpowder and a ball were wrapped in paper of high quality for ease of loading the single shot muzzle loading guns.

Another unrelated but related thing....I was making a gun cabinet today and for some reason I was wondering why the end of a tape measure (the hook part) moves slightly. Makes sense now, That way it can accurately measure distances when the tape is hooked to the end of an object or when measuring between objects.

Anybody learn anything intersting about guns or other things today besides that a half naked FBI agent sent pics to a Florida socialite in the Petreaus scandal?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I learned what happens if you give a mouse a cookie...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Ever learn something new and interesting? I was talking to a friend of mine who is getting a PhD in History. He told me that high quality drawing paper is often referred to as cartridge paper - before brass cartridges gunpowder and a ball were wrapped in paper of high quality for ease of loading the single shot muzzle loading guns.

Another unrelated but related thing....I was making a gun cabinet today and for some reason I was wondering why the end of a tape measure (the hook part) moves slightly. Makes sense now, That way it can accurately measure distances when the tape is hooked to the end of an object or when measuring between objects.

Anybody learn anything intersting about guns or other things today besides that a half naked FBI agent sent pics to a Florida socialite in the Petreaus scandal?
    For inside or outside measurements. It slides the thickness of the metal hook.

I learned repairing my wife's Explorer is going to be expensive. Does that count?
    bigmacque likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I learned an easy way to monitor all sorts of US debt:
    U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

mkh
    I learned that if you hit your thumb with a hammer that it hurts....for a long time.
    atctimmy likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I learned that I have to stop buy a lawyers office to pick up a turkey.....a live turkey
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

I've learned that apparently my son had a really bad day at school today and Nana had to pick him up. This means that my son is going to learn something today as well. I have a feeling that today is going to be chalked full of education by dinner time.
    OldVet and RMS like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I learned not to drive away from the repair shop that's 45 minutes from your house after having your vehicle repaired from an accident without looking it over WELL first. Found they missed a spot - after I got home, sigh.

I learned something yesterday about guns - I went to a new range and really enjoyed talking to the guys there about their setup and what they have to offer. I was the only person there and decided that even though I only had about 10 minutes before I needed to hit the road I'd go ahead and shoot a few rounds. So I signed up, hung my target, aligned my sights and BANG. IT WAS LOUD!! It took me a second of going "I wonder why it's so much louder here?!" Then I realized...I forgot to grab ear protection on my way in!
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I attended a site inspection at a large fire scene and leaned how they sift through debris to find shards of light bulbs for possible ignition sources.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I learned that my I-Phone has a FREE app for a shot timer. I was going to buy one and my son said, "Dad did you check the app store?" Of course not. I checked and installed it. Can't wait to go shoot this weekend. Its called SureFire Shot Timer.
    BlueHawk76 likes this.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

VIP Member
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck. "

No, your strategy does, your tactics might determine whether you win or lose.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I learned not to drive away from the repair shop that's 45 minutes from your house after having your vehicle repaired from an accident without looking it over WELL first. Found they missed a spot - after I got home, sigh.

I learned something yesterday about guns - I went to a new range and really enjoyed talking to the guys there about their setup and what they have to offer. I was the only person there and decided that even though I only had about 10 minutes before I needed to hit the road I'd go ahead and shoot a few rounds. So I signed up, hung my target, aligned my sights and BANG. IT WAS LOUD!! It took me a second of going "I wonder why it's so much louder here?!" Then I realized...I forgot to grab ear protection on my way in!
    Huh? Can't hear you!
    Lish likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I learned that if you hit your thumb with a hammer that it hurts....for a long time.
    It's gonna hurt even more when you hit it the second time tomorrow...

I learned that "fighting words" are not protected under the 1st amendment.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

I learned that muscle relaxers...relax everything
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links