Oh No, no possum drop this year.

This is a discussion on Oh No, no possum drop this year. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I suppose PETA will call this a major victory. Judge's ruling threatens New Year's Eve possum drop RALEIGH, N.C. A North Carolina mountain town's ...

Like Tree31Likes
  • 5 Post By msgt/ret
  • 3 Post By mprp
  • 3 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 4 Post By mkh
  • 5 Post By oneshot
  • 2 Post By goldshellback
  • 3 Post By atctimmy
  • 3 Post By JoJoGunn
  • 1 Post By Dadsnugun
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Oh No, no possum drop this year.

VIP Member

Oh No, no possum drop this year.

I suppose PETA will call this a major victory.

Judge's ruling threatens New Year's Eve possum drop

RALEIGH, N.C. A North Carolina mountain town's tradition of lowering a caged possum to celebrate New Year's Eve could be in jeopardy following a judge's ruling.

Senior Administrative Law Judge Fred Morrison ruled Tuesday that the state Wildlife Resources Commission doesn't have the power to grant a special permit for Brasstown's annual Possum Drop. The agency must get the General Assembly to pass legislation allowing such permits, or the commission needs to change its rules, the judge said.

Clay Logan, who started the event 20 years ago and catches each animal used, has 30 days to appeal Morrison's ruling and possibly get a stay until the case can be heard. If not, the Possum Drop will likely be off this Dec. 31.

Despite the name, no possum is dropped at the event, which attracts thousands to the tiny hamlet near the state's western tip. Rather, the captive critter is suspended in a see-through box covered with holiday tinsel and gently lowered to the ground at midnight.
    Judge's ruling threatens New Year's Eve possum drop :: WRAL.com

"Compassionate citizens can now look forward to a kinder celebration at Clay's Corner this New Year's Eve," PETA spokesman David Perle said.
    Maybe they can have a PETA drop instead.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Anyone who would want to grow up to be a PETA spokesman I think already has been dropped on their head.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Catch all the possums, toss them into PETA members' houses. They'll have a whole new outlook by the AM.
    Last edited by OldVet; November 13th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
    mano3, JoJoGunn and joker1 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    What! No possum drop!
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

mkh
    Why don't they drop a PETA member instead?

VIP Member
    I would get a crap ton of stuffed animals from all who might attend, put them all in a HUGE cage, and then after they are "dropped", give them to the local sheriff, for giving to small children who have underegone a tragedy, or trauma

Here is a venue for Michigan, for this to happen.

Stuffed animals for emergencies

I'm sure they have something like that there in NC.
    And if not, why not start?

PETA is an insanely radical, rediculous organization.
    JoJoGunn, mano3, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Ya know, some big-city woman going into small town America and telling them folks how to live ain't gonna go over too well. I hope the appeal gets through and if not, lower a caged PETA spokswoman instead.
    JoJoGunn and msgt/ret like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    What I think would be cool is if they caught and then killed a "possum". Then when a shocked and outraged PETA demanded why? They just state that since the drop got cancelled they didn't need the "possums" anymore. "I mean we used to keep the big tree rat things well fed and comfy, but since we can't use them in the drop anymore...Well I guess we'll just go back to killin' 'em."

I'm not sure West Virginians have that sort of "drop", ours I think usually happens just after gunfire and the possum "drops" to the ground. Heck, it doesn't even have to be near a holiday either.

Maybe some folks in the larger cities can and do toss them off from tall buildings for their "drop" I don't know, clueless on this.

PETA does indeed have some good qualities, I just can't think of any at the moment.
    oneshot, msgt/ret and atctimmy like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

The next thing you know, some whack job will want to stop this :

Pumpkins fly high, fall hard at Hite-Saunders - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Look out Punxsutawney Phil, they're coming for ya...
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Hint: Punxsutawney Phil loves bacon treats, belly rubs and scratching behind the ears.

I'd hate to imagine what Possum Pete enjoys most. PETA wipes?
    goldshellback likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links