The Newest pronouncements from Kalifornia

This is a discussion on The Newest pronouncements from Kalifornia within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This defies the limits of imagination: Here's the link That dog may cost you $100,000 a day and here's the article: California’s latest experiment in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The Newest pronouncements from Kalifornia

VIP Member

The Newest pronouncements from Kalifornia

This defies the limits of imagination:

Here's the link That dog may cost you $100,000 a day

and here's the article:

California’s latest experiment in faith-based policymaking is being unleashed today on the San Diego public, as regional water-quality officials begin hearings on new regulations that seem crafted to turn most owners of a car, house or dog into criminals within a decade or so. We wish we were exaggerating.

Under the draft rules, ordinary homeowners may face six years in prison and fines of $100,000 a day if they are deemed serial offenders of such new crimes as allowing sprinklers to hit the pavement, washing a car in the driveway, or, conceivably, failing to pick up dog poop promptly from their own backyards, let alone the sidewalk.

Cities throughout San Diego, south Orange and southwest Riverside counties must enforce the law, and set up 24-hour hot lines for people to report violations by their neighbors.

The new regulations even apply to firefighters, who would be forced to somehow capture and scrub the water running down the street from fire hoses and burning buildings, although the bureaucrats promise wiggle room for “emergency situations.” We’re at a loss to imagine the fire that doesn’t present an emergency situation, but we’re sure California’s army of environmental lawyers will be glad to help cities figure that out in court.

The preposterous rules come from the earnest regulators at the San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board, which is supposed to stop pollution of our waterways and beaches.

Without question, the agency, in collaboration with local officials, has made important progress over the years. San Diego Bay, once heavily polluted, has become significantly cleaner, though heavily polluted areas of the bay remain. The county’s beaches routinely earn “A” grades from an environmental group that measures closures.

Such gains came the old-fashioned way. Cities improved their sewage treatment systems. Officials cracked down on businesses that chronically dumped raw sewage and chemicals into storm drain systems. Restaurants cover grease containers these days, and people rarely dump trash or radiator fluid into a street gutter.

But now state officials are falling into the common trap of modern regulatory regimes – seeking small, questionable improvements at costs that promise to sap billions of dollars from the local economy.

In hundreds of pages, the new regulations set targets that measure bacteria from animal waste during dry periods at local beaches, even as they note that wide variations in bacteria occur naturally in the environment. And we could find no evidence from these officials that severe cuts in stormwater runoff will cause improvements in human or wildlife health. Indeed, nowhere do they bother to say why today’s levels are considered bad for us.

To their credit, leaders of the city and county governments are beginning to protest the rules. Water-quality officials have promised to be flexible. Billions of dollars rest on that promise.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

Employees from bloated agency's trying to justify their jobs.

And you thought the election for president was important...

No, folks... it really wasn't.

It's the little tin gods like these that are the true threats to liberty (and apparently sanity) in this country...

Appointed "Czars"
    local and regional "officials" appointed, not elected.
    various departments in cities, localities, counties, states, and even our federal government.

Soon, with the authority never granted to them... we will see the police forces of these departments using their own SWAT-like teams to bring to justice heinous criminals... who allowed their dog to go poo on the sidewalk.

Or maybe just the Department of Education Police SWAT team breaking into the home of a non offender... oh wait, the latter has happened.

And these departments heads... appointed by one administration or another... are never really replaced... and they continue to gather power... and firepower... to enforce the rules they made...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Let's not forget that much of the bacteria present at San Diego's beaches comes from Mexico which is only 20 miles away. Mexico is "down stream" per say but when currents fluctuate there is often an eddy type effect that brings tons of raw sewage North to America.

No offense Jeanlouise but...

I believe this is a good example of 'sensational journalism'. Big headlines twisted to appeal to a certain audience and has very little truth or content. None of the opening statements are EVER going to happen. Not even close and are truly laughably ridiculous.
    suntzu likes this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Here in the woods, I can wash the dog scat off my car...with my lawn sprinkler. And then dry-off my car...with the offending dog. Y'all can enjoy California all you want. I'm staying put right here.
    ppkheat likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Re: The Newest pronouncements from Kalifornia

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post

I believe this is a good example of 'sensational journalism'. Big headlines twisted to appeal to a certain audience and has very little truth or content. None of the opening statements are EVER going to happen. Not even close and are truly laughably ridiculous.
    While I agree with the ridiculous laughability of the statements, can you link to a site that would show that these items are not part of the draft resolution?

It is from, after all, California...
    lchamp and blitzburgh like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    While I agree with the ridiculous laughability of the statements, can you link to a site that would show that these items are not part of the draft resolution?

I hate to admit this, but I was born and raised in California. I left there about 52 years ago when I went into the Air Force.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post

It's sensational because it's so absurd. However, it's their proposed rules, not mine.

I don't make the news, I just report it. Don't be so sure they will never come to fruition, as Oakchas said, it is California.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I hate to admit this, but I was born and raised in California. I left there about 52 years ago when I went into the Air Force.
    I feel your pain, I was born in NY...almost as bad but without the good weather.

Solution: Don't live there. No Safari. No beach boys. No girly men. No sensationalism.
    ppkheat likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Well... the EPA wants to regulate the amount of "farm dust" ..... so wind blowing up dust from dirt roads or fields..... are they going to fine mother nature for too much wind ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

The 'North County Times' has the burden of proof. Their claim is ridiculous and meant to sensationalize the artilce and I think you agree.

"Under the draft rules, (according to the Northern County Times) ordinary homeowners may face six years in prison and fines of $100,000 a day if they are deemed serial offenders of such new crimes as allowing sprinklers to hit the pavement, washing a car in the driveway, or, conceivably, failing to pick up dog poop promptly from their own backyards, let alone the sidewalk."

As described, these fines will never happen. You know it and I know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    It's sensational because it's so absurd. However, it's their proposed rules, not mine.

I don't make the news, I just report it. Don't be so sure they will never come to fruition, as Oakchas said, it is California.
    Have you seen a copy of the proposed rules or are you relying on the accuracy of this article alone?

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Here in the woods, I can wash the dog scat off my car...with my lawn sprinkler. And then dry-off my car...with the offending dog. Y'all can enjoy California all you want. I'm staying put right here (KY).
    Yeah, but ... scat, dog, water, wiping, buffing ... in the wrong county (KY), that'll get you 10-to-20.

One thing about the CA regs, it's helped to clean up much of the awful levels of pollution that would have long since required plowing it under and setting fire to it all. Hm. There's a thought ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links