It's been asked before... Would you....

This is a discussion on It's been asked before... Would you.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ....intervene on behalf of another in peril? Here's someone who did.... it's a shame he wasn't armed.... but he saved the potential victim... Story...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: It's been asked before... Would you....

....intervene on behalf of another in peril?

Here's someone who did.... it's a shame he wasn't armed.... but he saved the potential victim...

Story
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Thanks for the link. There are times when you have to stand up and be counted.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Depending on the circumstances...........naturally.......we're not the Police.

It's gonna' be the same answers as before. There are countless unknowns in every presented scenario. And unless I'm on the spot, in the moment & gathering all the recon necessary for me to decide, I simply can't say yes or no. I would like to think, as I sit here completely calm & safe, that I would be a brave defender of the weak & champion of the oppressed. But that's theoretical hogwash. For instance, if my Grandson is with me, all bets are OFF! I'm gonna' simply & swiftly find & get him behind cover & concealment, get between him & the threat, and hunker down in condition red. But if Mrs. Ghost Tracker is with me and our Grandson, I'm gonna' stick my fingers in my ears. 'Cause Grandma is about to empty a G19 mag into the bad guy before he can blink. She'll drop him like a hot horseshoe if she whiffs any serious danger around that youngin'.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Some will not intervene physically no matter what; others will, no matter what. The degree of intervention of either will depend will depend on the circumstances at the time, risk involved, etc.

I'm glad whoever chose to intervene was sucessful, and I applaud his actions. It worked out well for the victim and the rescuer--this time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thank goodness for the "Good Samaritan." As far as your question, I would like to think I would intervene, but as with everything else, it depends on the situation.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I have intervened in somewhat similar fashion, after some period of indecision (honestly)... and trying to discern the reality of the situation I was hearing through a closed door. But I had time to come to the right conclusion about the incident in which I was about to insert myself.

The good Samaritan that intervened on the behalf of the little girl did right, and while Deadly force may have been justified, it was not necessary to stop the violation.... However... there is the possibility that had he been armed... the perpetrators would not have run off only to act again...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I have no idea how I would react until I got there. I would hope to "know" what the right thing to do was, but I've been around long enough to know that conflicting views within "me" could pose a problem. We've been programmed to consider the defense of our own lives or others as not being "consequence free".....Sure, you protect your life or that of a loved one, and you lose your life-long home in the process of defending your actions in Court. You're alive, but everything you've worked for (not only material) goes down the drain because some piece of human garbage decides to victimize you and you rise to the occasion with equal force. Then the party begins........It's a foolish World, with foolish rules, that unfortunately bind us. I will spend my entire life determined not to cause not to commit violence toward another human being, but as sure as you're born, YOU will be on trial for standing against those who would do YOU harm..........Time to board the crazy train.....Sandpiper
    Jeanlouise likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    The good Samaritan that intervened on the behalf of the little girl did right, and while Deadly force may have been justified, it was not necessary to stop the violation.... However... there is the possibility that had he been armed... the perpetrators would not have run off only to act again...
    And that discretionary restraint may make the difference of whether a good samaritan faces criminal/civil liability afterwards. Because one could shoot doesn't always mean one should shoot, even though the perps may have had it coming.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    And that discretionary restraint may make the difference of whether a good samaritan faces criminal/civil liability afterwards. Because one could shoot doesn't always mean one should shoot, even though the perps may have had it coming.
    Oh, I agree... but you do have the option of acting on behalf of another in FL as though you were "in their shoes," IINM... but I'm not sure.

My point about the gun is that perhaps they wouldn't have run off. Most likely, though, they would have run faster.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Faser than a speeding bullet they hope!

Helping people is in my nature. However, it's not without a careful and calculated assessment of the situation.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

In something like this, with a child involved - screaming, as an adult is hitting and pulling them...I do believe in my heart I'd step in. As a mom I'd hope someone would if it were my kid. Other situations I may veer away from, not knowing the full story or worried about my own safety... but I don't think I could sleep at night if I turned my head from a child.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I like to think I would intervene in the described situation.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    In something like this, with a child involved - screaming, as an adult is hitting and pulling them...I do believe in my heart I'd step in. As a mom I'd hope someone would if it were my kid. Other situations I may veer away from, not knowing the full story or worried about my own safety... but I don't think I could sleep at night if I turned my head from a child.
    +1. I agree that it's important to assess a situation and we should always be ready to call 911 too. But with a child screaming and being pulled and hit by an adult, I'd probably intervene even if I knew that the adult was the child's parent. No child should be subjected to that kind of treatment.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links