Seeing around the corner

Seeing around the corner

This is a discussion on Seeing around the corner within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Seeing light move 1,000,000,000,000 Frames/Second Photography - Ramesh Raskar - YouTube...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ally
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 2 Post By high pockets

Thread: Seeing around the corner

BritishAgent likes this.
    "It's better to avoid than to run, better to run than to de-escalate, better to de-escalate than to fight, better to fight than to die." ~ Rory Miller in _Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected_
    By way of Cornered Cat

That is amazing. Good ole science!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Well, now that I'm retired, I'm ready to spend a year watching that bullet travel through that coke bottle! Now when they weaponize this thing, we can totally forget about "feet per second"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Administrator
    Pretty neat. I wonder where that technology is going to end up 10 years from now? Probably someplace that the inventor cannot even imagine right now.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Just think, if they keep making improvements, they may be able to take a photo of what happened before they took the photo?
    QKShooter and Jeanlouise like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Just think, if they keep making improvements, they may be able to take a photo of what happened before they took the photo?
    Time will tell.

What'll get really freaky is when we get to the point where space-time will tell.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Time will tell.

Impressive...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    That is really interesting! Even as amazing is that the guy understands what's happening, how it happens and why it happens! Pretty smart!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

My Instamatic was way better..

Administrator
    Possibly once we understand more about light we will somehow figure out how to travel at speeds closer to it.

While I understand that it is quite natural for humans to be curious about the universe and other solar systems and galaxies...I never understood why there was such fascination with attempting to discover other Earth like planets in the universe.

BECAUSE...traveling through space at the fastest speed that we are capable of traveling through space right now it would take 81,000 years just to reach the nearest star to our Sun! AKA Proxima Centauri.

That is 2,700 generations to get there.

So WHY do we care if there is Oxygen or water on some planet even further away in a more distant galaxy than that?

It's not like we are ever going to get there for fresh air and pure water if it looks like we are destroying the Earth.

We are pretty much stuck here for at least the next 10,000 years. The best that we could hope for these days would be to possibly terraform Mars.

That would be monumental enough.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Possibly once we understand more about light we will somehow figure out how to travel at speeds closer to it.

While I understand that it is quite natural for humans to be curious about the universe and other solar systems and galaxies...I never understood why there was such fascination with attempting to discover other Earth like planets in the universe.

BECAUSE...traveling through space at the fastest speed that we are capable of traveling through space right now it would take 81,000 years just to reach the nearest star to our Sun! AKA Proxima Centauri.

That is 2,700 generations to get there.

So WHY do we care if there is Oxygen or water on some planet even further away in a more distant galaxy than that?

It's not like we are ever going to get there for fresh air and pure water if it looks like we are destroying the Earth.

We are pretty much stuck here for at least the next 10,000 years. The best that we could hope for these days would be to possibly terraform Mars.

That would be monumental enough.
    It is my opinion that it's more about just knowing that there is other life out there somewhere. Like you said, there is no way that there is another celestial makeup within reasonable traveling distance that offers the possibility of life as we know it. No way can save our butts if something goes wrong.
    I just think that it would be cool to know if there is other us's out there.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Links