Random Thoughts

This is a discussion on Random Thoughts within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In 24 hours, I'll be out in God's country, out in the middle of nowhere, with piles of guns, ammo, targets and family....

Page 6 of 542 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106506 ... LastLast
Like Tree7297Likes

Thread: Random Thoughts

VIP Member
    In 24 hours, I'll be out in God's country, out in the middle of nowhere, with piles of guns, ammo, targets and family.
    Rock and Glock and Ransom like this.

2. Remove Ads

I think I'll go to the range this afternoon, I seem to have too much ammunition in the house, and not enough empty brass!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I think I'll go to the range this afternoon, I seem to have too much ammunition in the house, and not enough empty brass!
    I went yesterday and got yelled at by the guy who lives next to it for using the range during deer season.

Nothing at the range indicating when or when not to shoot. I figured 2pm halfway through the season shouldn't upset anyone, especially those who live next to a shooting range and should really expect to be hearing gunfire...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    I went yesterday and got yelled at by the guy who lives next to it for using the range during deer season.

Nothing at the range indicating when or when not to shoot. I figured 2pm halfway through the season shouldn't upset anyone, especially those who live next to a shooting range and should really expect to be hearing gunfire...
    The range I shoot at is closed during hunting season. There's hunting land behind the range, so they don't want stray bullets going over the berm or the gunfire to scare away the deer.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

VIP Member
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Too cold for random thoughts, today! I think I'll just go downstairs and reload some 9mm. Managed to create some empty brass yesterday.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    The range I shoot at is closed during hunting season. There's hunting land behind the range, so they don't want stray bullets going over the berm or the gunfire to scare away the deer.
    Do you really think that deer living by a firing range pay attention to gunfire? The lack of it would probably be more alarming to them.

And they should consider raising that berm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Did you know that in the past a Butterfly was called a Flutterby?

^^^^ ^^^^^^ Nice start to the morning!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Did you know that in the past a Butterfly was called a Flutterby?
    I like that better...makes more sense!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Senior Moderator
    I want to know why I see at least 8 deer a day somewhere on my property...except during deer season, when you hardly ever see one.

Do they read the Game and Fish regulations when they come out and are placed at the Walmart sports section?

Do they discuss when and where to appear and when not too?

Do they have all of my deer stand locations mapped out?

Are they watching me as soon as I step out the door with a rifle/shotgun/pistol?
    atctimmy likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

"If you really love your country, you're gonna hafta love moonshine" - Tickle on Moonshiners
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Do you really think that deer living by a firing range pay attention to gunfire? The lack of it would probably be more alarming to them.

And they should consider raising that berm.

I agree with you, but that's their reasoning. I've seen a fair share of animals, deer included, walk across the range while people were shooting.

Unless they put a roof over the range, there's always going to be idiots putting rounds over the berm, regardless of how high it is.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Administrator
    Have you heard of the BEK? Sometimes named the BEC.
    They are the Black Eyed Kids or...the Black Eyed Children.

They have no "whites" to their eyes. Usually the artists renderings of them or the photo-shopped fake photos of them are incorrect. They show a highlight spot in the blackness of their eyes. I got a close enough look at one to know that the eyes are just empty black voids. They do not have black eyeballs.
    They always want one thing. To be let in. Reportedly they need to be invited in or they cannot enter.
    Sometimes they are alone. Sometimes there are two of them. Much less often they are in a small group of five or less.

Here is my personal story. Years ago I was staying/sleeping alone in what was the kitchen boys cabin at a Pennsylvania summer camp that I was a counselor at.
    I instructed rifle. The camp season had not begun yet. I was up there with some other counselors getting things ready for camp. There were no children at the camp at this time. Farmers Union (a pre-camp event) had all left 4 days earlier.
    I was asleep and at around 2:00 in the morning I heard a light, timid, knock on the door (which was not locked) that was what woke me up.
    I got up off of the cot (we slept on surplus Army cots) and opened the door expecting to see one of the other counselors or the camp director.
    What I saw instead was a child around 13 or possibly years old. Initially when I opened the door I was looking straight ahead expecting to see a full grown adult or at least a young man.
    It was an instant later that I looked down and that was when I saw the kid looking up with hollow black eyes. He immediately looked down so that I could not see those eyes.
    I asked him what he was doing in camp & at the same time realizing that was a totally dumb question because the entire scenario was surreal and it all made no logical sense. There were no kids in the camp yet.
    Even though still slightly groggy due to just waking up from a deep sleep I knew that the camp was in the middle of nowhere and that there were no children or families living anywhere near there either.
    Also and exactly at the same time those words came out of my mouth I experienced an overpowering feeling of (not fear) but, imminent or impending dread...is the best I can describe the feeling.
    Also keep in mind that at the time I had already been in far worse real life situations when I not felt or experienced any feelings of peril or dread.
    It was in the same few seconds that this was all registering that I heard him say. "Will you let me in? It's quite cold out here and I need you to let me in."

Those of you who know me also know that I am not the sort of person that would ever deny help or assistance to any kid that was in trouble.

Whatever this kid was though was though what he (it) was though was not human. By this time (and I don't even consciously remember closing it) the door was almost all the way closed and I was looking through the space in the slightly opened door with my bare foot keeping the door from possibly being pushed open.
    It was then that I got another look into those black eyes which were just the black nothingness of space inside open eyelids.

That was when he (it) said (LOUDER): "I told you that I'm freezing out here and I need to come in just to get warm! I need you to let me come in!!"

That was when I shut the door and put the sliding bot lock on.

I'm guessing that for a few seconds after I heard pounding lower down on the wooden door and..."You bastarrd...You won't let me in & you know how cold it is out here."

After that total silence. I stayed awake all that night & I was wide awake enough to know that it wasn't all a bad dream. I don't have bad dreams or nightmares.

And in the morning there were small shoe prints in the dirt outside the door and leading away to the grass field that was across the road.

It was not until years later (and now the Internet) that I discovered that many others have had similar experiences all over the world and all "went down" about the exact same way but, with different excuses where the kids needed to be allowed into homes or vehicles or stores...etc.

This VIDO explains it but the supposed "children" are (of course) a recreation.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

I've never heard of this but now I'm going to have to check it out.

Links