Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!! - Page 5

Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by QKShooter I am one of those folks that will not miss HOSTESS products too very much. I stopped eating their fruit pies ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I am one of those folks that will not miss HOSTESS products too very much. I stopped eating their fruit pies years ago after taking the time out one day to read the list of ingredients.

HOSTESS EARLY DEMISE FRUIT PIES.

Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Ferrous Sulfate (Iron), B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid)], Diced Apple (Sulfite Treated), Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable and/or Animal Shortening (Contains One or More of: Soybean, Cottonseed or Canola Oil), Beef Fat), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Water, Brown Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Contains 2% or Less of: Soy Flour, Salt, Sweet Dairy Whey, Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium and Sodium Caseinate, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Sulfate, Agar, Locust Bean Gum, Dextrose, Sodium Phosphate, Corn Flour, Corn Dextrin, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Citric Acid, Cornstarch, Lemon Juice Solids, Lemon Oil, Potassium Citrate, Sorbitol, Tricalcium Phosphate, Artificial Flavor, Sodium Propionate and Sorbic Acid (to Retain Freshness), FD&C Yellow Dye #5, Red Dye #40.
    Don't lie to us QKShooter, you got a fried pie wrapper sitting right there next to you. I know it. How else did you get that ingredients list?
    msgt/ret, JDE101 and thephanatik like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    The real question though: Would a quicker death be more merciful?

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Talk about the ultimate survival food.
    Spidey2011 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Hostess Fruit Pies bring back SO MANY fond childhood memories for me.

I remember when my Mom would make pies on baking day.

She would say: QK...I'm baking pies today!
    Please be a "Dear Boy" & run down to the store and pick me up some Tricalcium Phosphate, Sodium Propionate, some Red Dye #40, a small package of Sorbitol,....and some Artificial Flavor.

And...hurry back because I want to get an early start on baking these pies!
    msgt/ret and JDE101 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    That is going to turn into the Time Machine episode on Big Bang Theory. Folks are going to start bidding as a joke and some shmuck is going to end up paying 1000 bucks
    boricua likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I am one of those folks that will not miss HOSTESS products too very much. I stopped eating their fruit pies years ago after taking the time out one day to read the list of ingredients.

HOSTESS EARLY DEMISE FRUIT PIES.

Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Ferrous Sulfate (Iron), B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid)], Diced Apple (Sulfite Treated), Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable and/or Animal Shortening (Contains One or More of: Soybean, Cottonseed or Canola Oil), Beef Fat), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Water, Brown Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Contains 2% or Less of: Soy Flour, Salt, Sweet Dairy Whey, Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium and Sodium Caseinate, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Sulfate, Agar, Locust Bean Gum, Dextrose, Sodium Phosphate, Corn Flour, Corn Dextrin, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Citric Acid, Cornstarch, Lemon Juice Solids, Lemon Oil, Potassium Citrate, Sorbitol, Tricalcium Phosphate, Artificial Flavor, Sodium Propionate and Sorbic Acid (to Retain Freshness), FD&C Yellow Dye #5, Red Dye #40.
    Liar! There's no way you listed all that from memory. You read it off the package as you emptied it, didn't you!
    QKShooter and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    There's enough blame for both sides....

How about all of youze guys who think it's all the union's fault take a 10 % pay cut... and an equivalent cut in your health care, and lose the $$$ in your 401 Ks... and start the latter over.

If you don't want to do that...

You're fired. And lose ALL your health care and your 401 K anyway.

Now, find a job!

Good luck.

Meanwhile.... the owners will liquidate all assets... keep the money they gained by not improving/maintaining the company, it's product line, and its infrastructure... and take what there is left, line their pockets and go on to the next thing...

Creating 12 million new jobs.....

oh wait... he's not gonna be in office...

it's the other guy....

well, at least the ones out on the street will get unemployment.
    Bolded the important bit for you. Don't like the rules? Don't play in someone elses field. They had plenty of opportunity to find other employment, or start their own. Their choice was to stay at Hostess where they were expected to take a pay cut to keep the company afloat. Their response was to be cry babies and sink the company. Now none of them get a paycheck. Genius. Real Genius. Geebus, even the Teamsters saw the writing on the wall and warned the other ding dongs(couldn't help myself) what was going to happen.

Oh and their existing money in their 401k's doesn't magically disappear. They just don't get anymore from Hostess.
    Echo_Four and JDE101 like this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

My taste buds are gonna miss Hostess Cupcakes...but my waistline won't.

Y'know, as I start withdrawal from those magnificent pastries, wasting away to nothingness before your very eyes I will rue this day and mark it on my calendar. And when the anniversary of this disastrous occasion comes in 2013, I will sit down and eat a whole chocolate pie just to conceal my tears....
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by finst3r View Post
    Raspberry Beaver Butt <castoreum> ...... LINK
    You'll have to send me a YouTube link on how you do that without getting your plain doughnut slapped out of your hand by a very wide tail.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Administrator
    Google Hostess Fruit Pie Ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Liar! There's no way you listed all that from memory. You read it off the package as you emptied it, didn't you!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    "Bankruptcy" does not always mean liquidation. There are several types of bankruptcy:
    Chapter 7 which is liquidation
    Chapter 11 which is reorganization (allows renegotiation of labor contracts)
    obamao managed which takes the investment of secured creditors (the bond holders) and gives it to the unions which is exactly what happen with GM.

Not sure which one the administration will allow...
    Isn't that a judicial decision not an administrative decision? The elected administration
    has nothing to do with it.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Let me think out loud here a sec. They have an array of iconic products, not just Twinkies but
    bread, pies, donuts, and more. The products are in high demand as judged from some of the comments
    here and personal experience as a shopper, yet they claim they can't operate profitably.

It doesn't make sense.

I smell a rat.
    Ben Hennessy likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Re: Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Bolded the important bit for you. Don't like the rules? Don't play in someone elses field. They had plenty of opportunity to find other employment, or start their own. Their choice was to stay at Hostess where they were expected to take a pay cut to keep the company afloat. Their response was to be cry babies and sink the company. Now none of them get a paycheck. Genius. Real Genius. Geebus, even the Teamsters saw the writing on the wall and warned the other ding dongs(couldn't help myself) what was going to happen.

Oh and their existing money in their 401k's doesn't magically disappear. They just don't get anymore from Hostess.
    You didn't follow my example...

In my case, I offered that the non-union folks in the office should also give up the same percentage of income, and, since they don't have a defined benefit pension, the only way to level the playing field is to get them to give up their 401k including what they have put into it.

Just as union members
    give up what they put into their pensions... The money they could have had as wages, or put into a 401k, but instead took as part of a defined benefit pension.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    So while some speculate about what caused the demise, here is something I found
    on Forbes, not exactly a left wing blog.

What Killed Hostess Brands and Twinkies? - Forbes

The article explains that the company was sold 3 times since 1980 and accumulated debt while
    losing assets on each occasion. It filed for bankruptcy twice, yet management gave themselves
    raises while complaining that earnings of workers were too high in relation to the company's
    "dismal financial position."
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Caretaker Hostess was already in Chapter 7. A part of their restructuring was the reduction in wages which the bakers union refused to allow. (Also this was their second time through chapter 7, not third as someone said.) The Teamsters understood that this wasn't a case of the executives trying to gain an inch in negotiations but that it was the bottom line. The baker's union wouldn't allow a secret ballot on whether to continue the strike and leaders rejected Hostess' offers. When you get to the bottom line there's no choice left, so they stopped production and will sell off. Sadly the idiots that made the decision will suffer far less than the people they just put out of work. The union bosses tend to live much better than the membership.
    boricua, msgt/ret and JDE101 like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Moderator
    Copied and paraphrased from What Killed Hostess Brands and Twinkies? - Forbes

Hostess has been sold at least three times since the 1980s, racking up debt and shedding profitable assets along the way with each successive merger. The company filed for bankruptcy in 2004, and again in 2011. Little thought was given to the line of products, ......

As if all this were not enough, Hostess Brands management gave themselves several raises, all the while complaining that the workers who actually produced the products that made the firm what money it did earn were grossly overpaid relative to the company’s increasingly dismal financial position.

....... But while Hostess Brands might soon become a forgotten name from the past, it’s unlikely such a fate awaits such signature products as Twinkies. Company executives have already asked for bankruptcy court permission to begin the process of selling off their famed product lines to other companies.
    Hopyard and QKShooter like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links