Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!! - Page 6

Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Echo_Four Caretaker Hostess was already in Chapter 7. A part of their restructuring was the reduction in wages which the bakers union ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Caretaker Hostess was already in Chapter 7. A part of their restructuring was the reduction in wages which the bakers union refused to allow. (Also this was their second time through chapter 7, not third as someone said.) The Teamsters understood that this wasn't a case of the executives trying to gain an inch in negotiations but that it was the bottom line. The baker's union wouldn't allow a secret ballot on whether to continue the strike and leaders rejected Hostess' offers. When you get to the bottom line there's no choice left, so they stopped production and will sell off. Sadly the idiots that made the decision will suffer far less than the people they just put out of work. The union bosses tend to live much better than the membership.
    I agree one million percent. And I would add, that the union bosses will get to keep their high paying jobs; paid, of course, by those membership dues.
    Last edited by boricua; November 16th, 2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: add comment
    QKShooter likes this.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If the employees feel their product was that good and that they can do a better job, perhaps they should band together, buy the company, and run it themselves. Then they would only have to deal with each other. It's been done successfully before.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!!

This is considered a SHTF moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jeanlouise and QKShooter like this.

Originally Posted by Jeanlouise
    There are a LOT of things bad for you that people have no problem with. Next time you have a scotch on the rocks remember that you're drinking something bad for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    WHAT??? Wait, no that can't be true!
    ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! Don't know why anyone would drink that nasty stuff......... Now Bourbon on the other hand is the water of life
    QKShooter likes this.

Twinkies are in my SHTF prep inventory...31 cases and counting.
    QKShooter likes this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Dont worry people the one that are still around will last hundreds of years to come.
    I have a headstart, I'm the proud owner of these Twinkies, expiration date 10-29-09
    Attached Images
    HKinNY, mprp, QKShooter and 1 others like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The real question though: Would a quicker death be more merciful?
    Death by constipation!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Hostess Fruit Pies bring back SO MANY fond childhood memories for me.

Oh yeah. Me too. I remember way back on my first ambulance gig in Kansas City circa 1979. Stopping in at Linwood Super Foods at 02:30 in the morning to grab a Hostess Fried Apple Pie and a Polish Sausage (which had been cooking for the last 6 hours) w/ mustard and sauerkraut after running a good call. Man, those were the days.

Linwood Superfoods is still there today. Probably with the same polish sausage... all shriveled up mummified on that cooker with the rollers.
    Last edited by Bark'n; November 16th, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I have a headstart, I'm the proud owner of these Twinkies, expiration date 10-29-09
    Does the CDC know you have those?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    You didn't follow my example...

In my case, I offered that the non-union folks in the office should also give up the same percentage of income, and, since they don't have a defined benefit pension, the only way to level the playing field is to get them to give up their 401k including what they have put into it.

Just as union members
    give up what they put into their pensions... The money they could have had as wages, or put into a 401k, but instead took as part of a defined benefit pension.
    Most times I enjoy reading your posts. Let me state for the record I support your right to hold a pro union stance. Now about the facts...

The owners likely won't see a dime. The creditors will get pennies on the dollar most likely. Everyone loses because all the little boys and girls could not play nice and cooperate. Stubbornness is not an admirable quality.

Pensions vs 401ks - you are so far off the mark on fairness. Employees' 401k plans are not guaranteed to go up in value. They are not even guaranteed to hold their value. A pension is a fixed liability on the company books. Too many liabilities and too few assets makes for a failed company.

You want fair? Life ain't fair and I don't see to many of us around here on the non-union side of things rolling in annual salary increases and reduced healthcare costs. As for my 401k, I paid for it with money I earned. That's right, my pay was invested in the retirement fund. Those of us in the non-union world have not seen pensions offered in almost 30 years. You want fair, welcome to the real world. Companies fail and people lose their jobs. Very few of us get to claim the right to guaranteed employment, wage levels, and benefits.

Lets be straight up on the facts shall we?

VIP Member
    It's not just the money and benefits that are an issue either. Unions tie up companies in knots so that normal activities become impossible. For example, the drivers labor was so defined by the Union that drivers that delivered the Twinkies and cupcakes could not deliver the bread...that was a different truck and driver by union rules.

How can a company thrive under those absurd regulations? It's as if the Union sets out to strangle the company from the onset.
    boricua likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    It's not just the money and benefits that are an issue either. Unions tie up companies in knots so that normal activities become impossible. For example, the drivers labor was so defined by the Union that drivers that delivered the Twinkies and cupcakes could not deliver the bread...that was a different truck and driver by union rules.

How can a company thrive under those absurd regulations? It's as if the Union sets out to strangle the company from the onset.
    Well, no one forced them to agree to that in the first place. And more than likely that agreement
    made sense to both parties at some point; perhaps because the products came from different factories or the
    company didn't want brand confusion.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Moderator
    Unions have a place, they were formed to prevent workers from being exploited by greedy owners who care only about profit and did not see their employees as people.

The problem becomes when the Unions get as greedy as the owners were and neither side sees each other as people, and rejects whatever the others says, not because it is unreasonable, but because it came from the other side.

This same thing has happened to our political system, if we would see the other side as people (misguided people, but people nonetheless) and listen to each other instead of dismissing or finding fault we'd be much better off.
    JDE101, ctr, msgt/ret and 1 others like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Does the CDC know you have those?
    If they ever needed something that would cause a stomach ache, well I'd be their guy to call.

Disturbing is how the cellophane wrapper has been sucked to the Twinkie.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

The Hostess Liquidation: A Curious Cast Of Characters As The Twinkie Tumbles | ZeroHedge ....Hostess Closes Three Bakeries, Blames Striking Union ...My comment is if you are reading this after this long thread of junk-food and fat people haters ranting...well then.....take a deep breath, really.... the loser in this situation is the stock holders who came out of bankruptsy in 09 owing SIGNifigantly more than they did before...this large multi-state operation has been raped and pilaged and was HOPElessly inslovent in 09...it was concessions by the good hard working union hands that allowed the theft that has followed to occure...this IS the business model for the 21st century, get used to it...
    Last edited by CaptSmith; November 17th, 2012 at 07:12 PM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Links