Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I copied the following from "Watchdog.org" via their FB page. If it's true it would explain a lot of the problems that Hostess faced: You ...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!!

Distinguished Member
    I copied the following from "Watchdog.org" via their FB page. If it's true it would explain a lot of the problems that Hostess faced:

You likely will miss the finer points of why Hostess is closing. It is this, several decades ago Hostess and other large players in the bakery market formed a cooperative pension plan. Today Hostess is paying the pensions of people who never worked there, the companies that they did work at either have folded or have stopped contributing. Here is the history lesson that ALL Big Unions will not learn, those plans that you negotiated when the U.S. economy was growing, when you still had 20 years of service, when there were far more contributors than retirees, those days are over.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

2. Remove Ads

I am mostly against unions but do recognize their right to exist LOL. I think what should happen is to let people unionize but not not be required to belong to a union. Example: My wife worked at a hospital with a union. She cold join and get a package that included salary and benefits or get a package with a higher salary and no benefits except a 401K plan. My wife has benefits from me being retired military. It is a win win. Unions maintain power and force management to provide decent wages and benefits. But it gives people a choice to determine a seperate pay and benefits package that suits their needs.

At another location she could not get a job anywhere because you had to be in the union. So she got a job 20 miles further. Ironic thing is she had her job and good pay 5 years later when nurses were getting laid off at the hospitals.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There's never one reason a company fails. It's an accumlation of problems. My experience with members of a big name union have convinced me they are a large part of the problem. The first two things I learned from the members, and right from their mouths, were, "They can make me come to work, but they can't make me work," and, "Never do anything on Friday that can pushed off to the weekend for overtime."

Needless to say, the program I worked on was cancelled due to cost overruns and failure to meet schedule.
    Jeanlouise and boricua like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I copied the following from "Watchdog.org" via their FB page. If it's true it would explain a lot of the problems that Hostess faced:

You likely will miss the finer points of why Hostess is closing. It is this, several decades ago Hostess and other large players in the bakery market formed a cooperative pension plan. Today Hostess is paying the pensions of people who never worked there, the companies that they did work at either have folded or have stopped contributing. Here is the history lesson that ALL Big Unions will not learn, those plans that you negotiated when the U.S. economy was growing, when you still had 20 years of service, when there were far more contributors than retirees, those days are over.
    IMO this is an utterly bogus excuse. When you have the lineup of products they have had,
    when you have a dominant market share due to brand recognition and brand loyalty (And TO darn tasty stuff),
    you have flexibility in pricing to enable meeting those alleged prior obligations. And all of those
    obligations were known in advance to the series of purchasers who plundered the company's wealth.

The demise of this company is due to, and about predatory capitalism, not unions.
    oneshot likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member

Re: Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

The demise of this company is due to, and about predatory capitalism, not unions.
    Nope, BOTH.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite using Tapatalk 2
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!!

At least the unions that killed hostess have their president.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    As the same, CEO's makemore and have better lives than their workers. I do not get this point. I live close enough to St. Louis to get the news channel there and somewhere in the story was a bit about a CEO salary going from 75 thousand a year to 2 million a year. If that was happening to me I would vote to close the building down rather than consintly being kicked. And for those that say just find another job, union mrmbers have a contract and the other side should honor that contract. Not try to lower your pay while raising their pay.
    But, in our free market system, businesses are to make money for the stockholders/owners, while trying to meet the needs of stakeholders. Union contracts can be bargained, especially when the company is not meeting their goals, which is what the union bosses in this case seemed to not want to do. Welcome to private enterprise 101.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

A Union hand would know that pension benefits bargined for in labor agreements..are compensation, and have value...A union hand would be used to Government and Corporate signatories to labor agreements not paying this compensation to thier workers....lieing ,cheating and stealing thier retirement AND convincing thier neighbors that it was the victim union members fault, after all, if you are going to leave large sums of money in accounts, in companys and government orginizations being outright looted by cleaver bankers why would it NOT be "re-directed" to a more "appropiate", and usefull use's...from where a union hand stands its easy to see who is sc....g who, and who is bent over...and who is a fool...and who keeps thier promises
    Doghandler and Hopyard like this.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    a slow death it is
    hanging with fascists

mrm
    Wanna get a little laugh look on ebay to see what twinkies are selling for at this moment.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Well, Hostess certainly had a bunch of viable products, many of which I considered
    essential nutrients.
    Quite so. I was never much of a Twinkies fan, but Hostess Snowballs(TM) were a staple comfort food for me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    But, in our free market system, businesses are to make money for the stockholders/owners, while trying to meet the needs of stakeholders. Union contracts can be bargained, especially when the company is not meeting their goals, which is what the union bosses in this case seemed to not want to do. Welcome to private enterprise 101.
    re: Part in bold--- Which does not happen when a business is repeatedly sold in a series of
    leveraged buyouts. The stockholder loses when the musical chairs stop and the company ends up in
    bankruptcy court. Its a game of musical chairs except its rigged so the winner is known ahead of time.
    The losers too are known ahead of time; the ordinary stockholder and the ordinary worker. These two
    have much more in common than one might think at first blush, victimization by financial scoundrels.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    Wanna get a little laugh look on ebay to see what twinkies are selling for at this moment.
    A thousand years from now we will be accustomed to the mention of Twinkies and the Tomb of Christ in the same sentence, but for now we are stuck with Saturday Night Live.

Re: Twinkies are dead!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Hope all those Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers & Grain Millers Union (BCTGM) members have a great Thanksgiving, knowing that they put 18,000 people out of work.

Unions had a place at one time. So did the horse & buggy.

Just another road sign along the highway of the demise of American Exceptionalism.
    Thanks, PEF,

I'm a member of BCTGM Local 100g. I didn't put anyone out of work.

Buggies that were pulled by horses weren't built by union men.

The wheels that roll this country, literally and figuratively, were built by union men and women. The ships that make us the most formidable navy in the world are built by union men and women. The aircraft that make us the superior air power on this globe, are made by union men and women.

The crap you buy today made in China, is the stuff that the robber barons stole from companies like delta, porter-cable, and perhaps now Hostess brands, shipped the jobs over seas, and put their ill-gotten gains in Cayman banks. Pay no taxes on, and leave you and I with the tax bill for failing infrastructure.

But go ahead and delude yourself about how evil the unions are...

There is plenty of blame... On BOTH sides.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

They showed the greedy Capitalist owner they shut that place down that will show them who is boss.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Links