Molon Labe the movie.

Molon Labe the movie.

This is a discussion on Molon Labe the movie. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well not exactly... For those of you not familiar with the Term "Molon Labe" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molon_labe The term comes from the battle of Thermopylae. The Persians ...

Thread: Molon Labe the movie.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar

Molon Labe the movie.

Well not exactly...

For those of you not familiar with the Term "Molon Labe"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molon_labe

The term comes from the battle of Thermopylae. The Persians were about to invade the country, and a few hundred men fought a delaying action at a pass in the mountains where he Persian army could not use their vastly superior numbers (roughly 300 Spartans to 500,000 Persians)to advantage. It was tantamount to suicide, but it gave the rest of the country time to mobilize for war.
    Xerxes, the King of Persia, promised to spare the life of Leonidas (King of Sparta) and his men, if they would throw down their weapons. To which Leonidas replied "Molon Labe", which means, "Come and get them".

Now for the movie. I know little about it other than the setting is the battle of Thermopylae, but at least one other famous quote from that battle is included.

It has the potential to be a good movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416449/

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    honestly cant comment ... anything i would do would violate tos .. suffice it to say that the sentiment is valid , and i pity anyone with a tattoo lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Update, I just noticed the link to the trailer and watched it.

I too will reserve comment, but I am nowhere near as hopeful for the production as I was originally.

Yup, saw the trailer. Not impressed. You take a historical fact involving many brave men and turn it into something that looks like a fantasy video game with superhuman actors and an obligatory load of sex. And hollywood wonders why theatre attendance just keeps dropping.......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I wasn't able to veiw the trailer, but I did notice that this movie is not based on the historical battle, but on the graphic novel (comic book) that used that battle as it's theme. So it's no surprise that there will be the usual comic superhero stuff in it.

On an upnote for those disappointed by the lack of historical fact. This film should provide ample opportunities for those of us who know the true story, to relate how profound the original story is. Hook'em with the flash, then hit them with the facts.

If the movie looks like it's going to do well, I'm sure the History or Discovery channel will devote some hours of documentary to it also.

Don't despair, there is hope.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

The arrows of our archers will blot out the sun!

There is in fact a very well made film (for its time) about this battle. It is in color and was made in 1962. It is pretty historially accurate and like the new movie includes the famous line, "Then we shall fight in the shade". Here is a link to it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055719/

Like some of you, I have read the directly translated history of this battle as was first accounted by the Greek historian Herodotus. It is a fascinating period of history to study.
    Last edited by sgtD; October 7th, 2006 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Additional info.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    It's important to keep in mind that the movie is based on Frank Miller/Lynn Varley's graphic novel 300, so expect it to be more "Sin City" than something you'd see on the History Channel. I fact, I think the entire movie was shot on a blue screen with the background added in later. I have the graphic novel and the movie (judging from the trailer) appears to be spot on. The graphic novel is based on the actual historical events, but being a comic, there's still a lot of creative liberty, like lots of weird body piercings and a rather icky, hunchback-like villain.

If they wanted to make a historical movie, I suppose they'd base it off a book like Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire (a very good book I highly recommend).

Leonidas never says "Molon Labe!" in the graphic novel (the scene was reduced to "come and get it" while they formed a shield wall).

I'm looking forward to the movie and will enjoy it for what it is - a movie strongly based on a comic generally based on a historical event.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Sponsored Links