Oops! - Flying Camera From Animal Rights Group Shot Down at Pigeon Shoot - Page 3

Oops! - Flying Camera From Animal Rights Group Shot Down at Pigeon Shoot

This is a discussion on Oops! - Flying Camera From Animal Rights Group Shot Down at Pigeon Shoot within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by gasmitty In the spirit of "turnabout is fair play," I wonder how the bunny huggers would react if someone flew a helo ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Oops! - Flying Camera From Animal Rights Group Shot Down at Pigeon Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In the spirit of "turnabout is fair play," I wonder how the bunny huggers would react if someone flew a helo - manned or unmanned - over their private property, took pictures/videos, and then posted those images on YouTube. I bet the screams would be deafening and the ACLU would come running.
    If they lived in a populated are you would be wrong flying it. If you met certain requirements and there was no danger to the folks on the ground the law would most likely be on your side if they did not live in a populated area. So go for it. The hunter (if you want to use that word for this situation) is the one that is wwrong in this situation.

And I highly doubt the ACLU would be the ones protesting. You are not the government. They would object to that.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    The pigeon hunt is obviously legal, or this much notoriety -- several already downed drones -- would have shut it down. So the folks with the drones should maybe put their money where it might do some good, like support a local soup kitchen that feeds the poor.

Then all we need is a good pigeon soup recipe.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

First and foremost, Pidgeons (aka Rock Doves) are not an endangered species. Has anyone not seen a place in the U.S. where they are not living in huge flocks? Now, a baby Seal Clubbing I could understand outrage, but Pidgeons? Please.

I guess SHARK is afraid that the same thing will happen to the now extinct Passenger Pidgeon, but with the survival rate of Rock Doves, I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

The drone in my opinion was a fair target. If they wish to protest the event, fine. But sending a drone over the area does indeed smack of tresspassing and whatever happens, happens.
    bigmacque and msgt/ret like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Trespassing maybe but sheer stupidity does come to mind. The folks are shooting things out of the air .... what would you expect to happen to your drone? Even if it was accidentally shot, there's guys with guns shooting in this area and that thing is in the path of fired projectiles. Of course it stands a chance to be shot down.
    mcp1810 likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

Where are the animal rights people when they kill chickens to eat? Beef, pigs, sheep (baaa) these are raised for food and are killed. Are they concerned about the ones that are not killed cleanly? Pigeons are considered on an even footing with rats in most places. Overpopulated and causing damage and disease. Like feral hogs I don't want to see any more domestic pigeons raised and released.

Squab is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Where are the animal rights people when they kill chickens to eat? Beef, pigs, sheep (baaa) these are raised for food and are killed. Are they concerned about the ones that are not killed cleanly? Pigeons are considered on an even footing with rats in most places. Overpopulated and causing damage and disease. Like feral hogs I don't want to see any more domestic pigeons raised and released.

Squab is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They happen all the time. Silly question. The only reason why heard about this one was because a gun was involved
    Top 10 Animal Rights Protests In 2012 [PHOTOS]

I could provide much much more if you need the proof. (I am mostly vegetarian and wife is so we get see all of the news and protests in Vegan/vegetarian magazines)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    First and foremost, Pidgeons (aka Rock Doves) are not an endangered species. Has anyone not seen a place in the U.S. where they are not living in huge flocks? Now, a baby Seal Clubbing I could understand outrage, but Pidgeons? Please.

I guess SHARK is afraid that the same thing will happen to the now extinct Passenger Pidgeon, but with the survival rate of Rock Doves, I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

The drone in my opinion was a fair target. If they wish to protest the event, fine. But sending a drone over the area does indeed smack of tresspassing and whatever happens, happens.
    JoJo, check your spell checker. It's Pigeon, not 'pidgeon'. :) Anyway, I agree with your post. Their crap will really mess up the paint on a vehicle. Too bad we can't shoot them at the parking garage. They spread disease with their droppings, too.
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    They happen all the time. Silly question. The only reason why heard about this one was because a gun was involved
    Top 10 Animal Rights Protests In 2012 [PHOTOS]

I could provide much much more if you need the proof. (I am mostly vegetarian and wife is so we get see all of the news and protests in Vegan/vegetarian magazines)

If this is their top 10 then they need a better PR firm.

Sounds to me like Hamas needs to have a good Pigeon Shoot. They've had some drone problems lately.
    bigmacque likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    If they lived in a populated are you would be wrong flying it. If you met certain requirements and there was no danger to the folks on the ground the law would most likely be on your side if they did not live in a populated area. So go for it. The hunter (if you want to use that word for this situation) is the one that is wwrong in this situation.
    And I highly doubt the ACLU would be the ones protesting. You are not the government. They would object to that.
    +1 The ShARK group has every right to protest the hunt and is probably in their right to fly their RC but also have to take some responsibility for reasonable risks, such as gunfire over a gun club. This is just another piece of an long-running set of disputes between ShARK and the Philadelphia Gun Club. While I don't like ShARK's anti-hunting propaganda, they have their rights. The PGC has some real winner members. Here are some interesting links if you want to see more of the story. My local gun club would ban people for life for this kind of behavior. You always need to know what's behind your target.

Lady Lawyer Educates Bensalem (PA) Cop - YouTube
    Boat Fired On - Bensalem, PA Police Do Nothing! - YouTube
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

How far up (in altitude) do an owner's property rights go? What's the elevation limit of trespassing?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    How far up (in altitude) do an owner's property rights go? What's the elevation limit of trespassing?
    The gvt supposedly owns above ground level to stratosphere. Class G airspace is I beleive over 1200'...can't remember. RC planes need to stay below 500'. Then their are state laws.

As a general rule you should not be shooting things in the sky unless it is a bird you are hunting legally. For folks that think this is cool or a good thing just remmeber that you do not even know if it was legal. I know of a farmer that got sued for shooting down a RC plane. They settled for the cost of a new plane.

Anyway, point is if you do not know if it is legal, don't do it. If a RC plane is harrassing your property call the police. They can have them stop if they deem it unsafe or a public nuisance.
    Also, not appplicable here, there are noise ordinaces which can force a RC owner to stop if they are buzzing a neighborhood.

I honestly think we're all starting to over-think this. These guys are not shooting pigeons in a populated area, I'm sure, and they probably have enough space around them to be safe -- if not, again due to the notoriety this must by now be receiving in the local news -- they would have been shut down some time ago for a plethora of other reasons unrelated to the thinning of the pigeon population.

So if the property they're doing this on belongs to an individual or a group that is in favor of this activity, and it obviously does, and the drone operators have to be able to set up in some location that allows them to invade that space -- over or under 500 feet of altitude it doesn't really matter -- then candidly it strikes me as at least as much an invasion of privacy as some one coming over or through my bushes to take pictures of me skinny dipping in my own pool.

So my bet would be that the drone operators simply don't really have a lot of legal standing regarding their drones, they're just trying to harrass the shooters and drum up a public outcry, and the shooters have a right to privacy and won't get into a lot of trouble for shooting down a pervasive instrument that violates their right to privacy.

Hahaha@!!! Now I can go on with the rest of the day with a smile!
    It's all part of the big picture.

One more thought: the shooter did a great job of taking out the camera and leaving the drone. So the shooter is either a very good shot or a slightly off shot -- if he first took out the camera then DOWNED the drone, that device would not be available for a shot on the evening news.

I would dare them to come onto my property, where me and my friends are shooting, and retrieve their downed drone.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links