Oops! - Flying Camera From Animal Rights Group Shot Down at Pigeon Shoot - Page 4

Oops! - Flying Camera From Animal Rights Group Shot Down at Pigeon Shoot

This is a discussion on Oops! - Flying Camera From Animal Rights Group Shot Down at Pigeon Shoot within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hmmm, pigeons flying in the air and people shooting at them. A drone flying in the air with the pigeons that are being shot at. ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Oops! - Flying Camera From Animal Rights Group Shot Down at Pigeon Shoot

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, pigeons flying in the air and people shooting at them. A drone flying in the air with the pigeons that are being shot at. The drone gets shot, along with the pigeons
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I don't understand the logic behind a live pigeon shoot. Doesn't really sound like something I would be interested in.

But shooting down the drone is kind of funny.
    There isn't as much challenge after they are dead.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Please cite where you need a special permit? It was an RC plane......and yes I know you can do a lot with them. I have a camera and gps on mine.
    I think he was referring to a permit to hunt drones.

That said, we RC hobbyists are only permitted to fly as a hobby. When there becomes any some of commercial or corporate interest in the operation of an RC aircraft, it becomes a UAS, and there are a slew of regulations that must be followed. Beyond that, flying a quadcopter near or over people is reckless and stupid in the extreme.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    I think he was referring to a permit to hunt drones.

That said, we RC hobbyists are only permitted to fly as a hobby. When there becomes any some of commercial or corporate interest in the operation of an RC aircraft, it becomes a UAS, and there are a slew of regulations that must be followed. Beyond that, flying a quadcopter near or over people is reckless and stupid in the extreme.

Matt
    And shooting at it knowing that people are nearby controlling it is equally or more stupid.

EDIT: As far as UAS that can be a stretch. They are doing it on a small scale and not for profit. That is like saying a local hobby club falls under a certain ccategory if it sponsors a fly off at park to get more people interested in RC modeling.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    And shooting at it knowing that people are nearby controlling it is equally or more stupid.

EDIT: As far as UAS that can be a stretch. They are doing it on a small scale and not for profit. That is like saying a local hobby club falls under a certain ccategory if it sponsors a fly off at park to get more people interested in RC modeling.
    Gotta disagree with you on this Suntzu ... obviously the shooter was pretty accurate, and obviously they were in an area where shooting was safe or it would have been otherwise shut down.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Senior Moderator

Not at all. One is RC related, and operating an RC aircraft as part of the hobby. The other is not RC related, and operating an RC aircraft as part of another activity.

It's certainly operating outside the AMA safety code. I'm not condoning shooting the multicopter, but the manner in which it was being operated may well have been a violation of the law.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Gotta disagree with you on this Suntzu ... obviously the shooter was pretty accurate, and obviously they were in an area where shooting was safe or it would have been otherwise shut down.
    I will disagree with you LOL. Look at it this way. You are out actually hunting pheasant. You here voices or other indications of people in the area. Do you continue to hunt or stop hunting?

Same thing here. They are in a place that they felt there were no people. Now, a RC plane (octocopter, pretty cool ) flys your way. You KNOW, I repeat, you KNOW that there are people close by or should at least assume that.

Knowing this do you shoot the plane? If you do it is plain reckless.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Not at all. One is RC related, and operating an RC aircraft as part of the hobby. The other is not RC related, and operating an RC aircraft as part of another activity.

It's certainly operating outside the AMA safety code. I'm not condoning shooting the multicopter, but the manner in which it was being operated may well have been a violation of the law.

Matt
    Guess we need to sit down oover a cup of coffee and discuss it LOL. We are just disagreeing on an interpretation which has nothing to do with the act of shooting at the octocopter. But shooting at it was dumb regardless of its flight status.

VIP Member
    Spying on your fellow countrymen and reporting on their activities reminds me of a tactic used by the Nazis.
    accessbob and msgt/ret like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Given the obvious history, I have a hard time saying that shooting that octocopter is reckless. And the situation is not at all the same as hearing voices when you're out shooting pheasant, this has been an ongoing situation and they all know what's going on. If it's reckless to shoot that thing, then it's just as reckless for the RC flyers to be in the area.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

Given the obvious history, I have a hard time saying that shooting that octocopter is reckless. And the situation is not at all the same as hearing voices when you're out shooting pheasant, this has been an ongoing situation and they all know what's going on. If it's reckless to shoot that thing, then it's just as reckless for the RC flyers to be in the area.
    OK, we will just disagree. But, the difference with the voices is that you have an idea where they are. In this situation you have a RC plane that is being controlled from somewhere and you decide to shoot. You have no idea where they are. The actions of the SHARK folks are totally irrelevant to this. If they were hiding in the woods taking pictures and they got shot that is one thing. The hunters would not be aware of it. But in this situation they are aware of the possibility that folks are near by and he decides to shoot. Tell me how that is safe thing to do?

And the SHARK folks are aware that there are shooters nearby. Would you knowingly walk into the path of a bunch of shooters?

And the SHARK folks are aware that there are shooters nearby. Would you knowingly walk into the path of a bunch of shooters?
    That is not the issue if someone gets shot. Of course they would be idiots but the shooter would be culpable. The point is did he use common sense. Don't try shifting the topic to the SHARK folks. Now, for all the world to hear...would YOU shoot at an RC plane/helo KNOWING that people would have to be nearby (in most cases) and you did not know where they are.

It is a yes or no answer. I do not shoot if I have an inkling someone may be nearbyand I have no clue which direction they are. Just call me a wuss. And try to answer it without blaming the SHARK folks. It has no bearing whether they are smart or not.

If I were in an area that has been cleared for shooting, and the area is known to me well and known to be an area in which there is shooting going on, and that drone is flying in the same space into which I am shooting pigeons/clays/whatever, then yes, I would shoot it. And I'm not calling you a wuss, I think your points are thoughtful and well made, but different than mine. I'll not make this about the SHARK folks if you don't make it about you and me, personally.

And if the SHARK folks get hit because they put themselves into the line of fire when they know shooting is going on, then they have some responsibility regarding the situation, smart or not.

I'll answer your question yes or no: given the details of my statement above, yes.
    1MoreGoodGuy and accessbob like this.

If I were in an area that has been cleared for shooting, and the area is known to me well and known to be an area in which there is shooting going on, and that drone is flying in the same space into which I am shooting pigeons/clays/whatever, then yes, I would shoot it. And I'm not calling you a wuss, I think your points are thoughtful and well made, but different than mine. I'll not make this about the SHARK folks if you don't make it about you and me, personally.

And if the SHARK folks get hit because they put themselves into the line of fire when they know shooting is going on, then they have some responsibility regarding the situation, smart or not.

I'll answer your question yes or no: given the details of my statement above, yes.
    Fair enough...I will just disagree.
    bigmacque likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links