Oops! - Flying Camera From Animal Rights Group Shot Down at Pigeon Shoot

This is a discussion on Oops! - Flying Camera From Animal Rights Group Shot Down at Pigeon Shoot within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by bigmacque If I were in an area that has been cleared for shooting, and the area is known to me well and ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Oops! - Flying Camera From Animal Rights Group Shot Down at Pigeon Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    If I were in an area that has been cleared for shooting, and the area is known to me well and known to be an area in which there is shooting going on, and that drone is flying in the same space into which I am shooting pigeons/clays/whatever, then yes, I would shoot it. And I'm not calling you a wuss, I think your points are thoughtful and well made, but different than mine. I'll not make this about the SHARK folks if you don't make it about you and me, personally.

And if the SHARK folks get hit because they put themselves into the line of fire when they know shooting is going on, then they have some responsibility regarding the situation, smart or not.

I'll answer your question yes or no: given the details of my statement above, yes.
    Well said.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

Hrm... I seem to remember a definition of stupid that read to the effect of: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

What's the limit and do tell which ones are hens.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The pigeon was only colateral damage.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ex Member
    BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fly drones and with all the Wiz Bang functions, in flight failures can happen.

The largest weighs nearly 14 lbs and if something happens, it's coming down hard and fast.

The reason I never fly over or near people

I don't hunt anymore but if someone decided to fly over my property to get the goods on me, I could take it up again.

We're getting into a whole 'nother area of expectation of privacy with technology that was only available to the military a few years ago

Return to home and land itself, carry out waypoints on google earth, hold position take photos etc has also got Homeland Security coming down.

I'll put it this way, I'd be so steamed at the thought of the SHARKies interrupting my Pigeon Shoot on behalf of the damned pigeons that they should be happy I shot the drone and didn't pepper...the pilot.

You don't see me paragliding slabs of barbecued pork ribs into their picnic, now do ya'?
    bigmacque and msgt/ret like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I'll put it this way, I'd be so steamed at the thought of the SHARKies interrupting my Pigeon Shoot on behalf of the damned pigeons that they should be happy I shot the drone and didn't pepper...the pilot.

You don't see me paragliding slabs of barbecued pork ribs into their picnic, now do ya'?
    No but I like the way you think.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Oops! - Flying Camera From Animal Rights Group Shot Down at Pigeon Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    How far up (in altitude) do an owner's property rights go? What's the elevation limit of trespassing?
    I have no idea. However as a pilot we are required to remain 500 feet above persons and property in a sparsely populated area and above 1000 feet in a densely populated area. Unless of course we are taking off or landing. I do know that the FAA can forbid you from building an "obstruction" if it were to interfere with the landing or takeoff path.
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    -Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    So I think one aspect is missing from the discusion on how safe it was to shoot the drone. This is still an assumption, but I am going to assume that the drone had at least a decent elevation, causing a trajectory for the shot to be at a decent angle. They are probably shooting birdshot, right? So by the time you get the trajectory of the shot, and how far away the people had to be to not be seen in the line of fire, even if the pellets were to come down on them, they would be in no danger.

Unless of course it was a rifle like the article said. That would be a different story.
    Walk softly ...

Well, again, if I was a Pigeon Shoot organizer and suspected their MIGHT be an uninvited drone-guest visit. I just MIGHT clue-up at least one well-experienced, long-distance goose hunter to bring "drone appropriate" equipment.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member
    OK, here the deal. This was in a very remote area. The land belonged to a shooting club. The drone and the pilots were trespassing on private property. This is no different than your wife sunbathing in her fenced back yard and the drone flying over and videoing her while piloting the drone from your driveway. The pilots knew they were in an area where shooting was taking place, a remote area they had no reason to be in. I see no danger to anyone being shot by anyone firing at the drone, high in the air, from a rifle. Remote area, remember? Maybe a drone shoot would be more fun than live pigeons, perhaps a deal could be struck between the parties. $4000 cameras wouldn't be required.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Where are the animal rights people when they kill chickens to eat? Beef, pigs, sheep (baaa) these are raised for food and are killed. Are they concerned about the ones that are not killed cleanly? Pigeons are considered on an even footing with rats in most places. Overpopulated and causing damage and disease. Like feral hogs I don't want to see any more domestic pigeons raised and released.

Squab is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In NH a local chain restaurant was not able to sell a lobster dinner even though the parent company had widely advertised the meal. Had to do with mutilation laws.

Not gonna lie... probably would have shot the thing.
    bigmacque likes this.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links