Thanksgiving cooking - Page 2

Thanksgiving cooking

This is a discussion on Thanksgiving cooking within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I always brine my bird, once you do that you will not do without....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Thanksgiving cooking

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I always brine my bird, once you do that you will not do without.
    accessbob likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    I do 100% of the cooking here. My husband doesn't even know how to turn the oven on. Although, in his defense, he leaves for work at 7 am and gets home around 7 pm so it's not as if he just sits around doing nothing watching me cook.

I've never brined a turkey, I wouldn't even know how. Does it make it tender or what?

I always make a very traditional Thanksgiving dinner...trukey, stuffing, mashed potatos with gravy, rolls, sweet potato casserole and of course green bean casserole with crunchy onions! Pumpkin pie and Apple pie for dessert although this year I'm going to make "Nantucket Cranberry Pie" again because they all loved it last year.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I was the cook in the family when we got married, but I was gradually eased out of the kitchen. Now, after 38 years, I'm simply the turkey carver...works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I've never brined a turkey, I wouldn't even know how. Does it make it tender or what?
    Brining a turkey: AllRecipes.com. Some folks swear by it for helping to keep the bird juicy, as well as to provide a great gravy base.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Brining a turkey: AllRecipes.com. Some folks swear by it for helping to keep the bird juicy, as well as to provide a great gravy base.
    Hummmm...interesting, I may try that next year, it doesn't look too hard or time consuming.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I do 100% of the cooking here. My husband doesn't even know how to turn the oven on. Although, in his defense, he leaves for work at 7 am and gets home around 7 pm so it's not as if he just sits around doing nothing watching me cook.

I always make a very traditional Thanksgiving dinner...trukey, stuffing, mashed potatos with gravy, rolls, sweet potato casserole and of course green bean casserole with crunchy onions! Pumpkin pie and Apple pie for dessert although this year I'm going to make "Nantucket Cranberry Pie" again because they all loved it last year.
    You're making me hungry! What time is it going to be ready, so I know what time to head that way?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You're making me hungry! What time is it going to be ready, so I know what time to head that way?
    4:00...come on over!

Thanksgiving cooking

I got finished brining my bird this morning. It's currently in the refrigerator and will be there until tomorrow to let the brine work its magic. Then it's onto the smoker with some apple wood for 8-9hrs. Here's how it turned out last year. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353512876.267317.jpg
    Attached Images
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    -Leonardo da Vinci

Jean, after brining turkey, I won't do make a turkey again without brining it.Ok, beautiful bird. And now time to start the day before cooking.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

We dont usually do the traditional turkey and mershed perterders. My wife says it reminds her of all her family drama on turkey day. Shrimp tacos, pot roast, even burgers.

We are thankful for what we have, not just turkey.
    PROTECT THE FLOCK, CONFRONT THE WOLF.....

Senior Moderator
    I cook breakfast, my wife cooks everything else. I use to think that I was a decent cook until I married her.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I do a lot of the cooking normally, but I am happy to say that the relatives will be doing all of it for tomorrow's dinner. Never brined a turkey, but they do get nice and moist when you do it that way.
    Walk softly ...

Mine's going into the brine in a few minutes and will spend the next 20 or so hours chillin out before it goes in the oven..

Simple mix:
    1 cup of salt
    some peppercorns
    some allspice berries
    1/2 cup of brown sugar
    A gallon of good chicken or veggie stock
    Boil it up and when it's cold plunk the bird in the pot and add enough water to cover.
    Keep in the fridge (or for me the garage at this time of year) overnight and you're good to go.

bosco

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I will be injecting mine with two different marinades: a rasberry chipolte and a garlic herb with butter. I am also doing a dry rub of creole, blk pepper, thyme, oregano, and garlic powder. Then dropping her in the turkey fryer outside and safely of course.

Just my husband and me this year, so no turkey. Going with an apple and rosemary stuffed pork tenderloin. Faster to prepare and we won't be eating turkey until Christmas. Accompanied by Cheddar-garlic mashers, green bean feta salad, and pepper Parmesan rolls. Did I mention we really like cheese?

Wow, just made myself really hungry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links