Another handgun harvest before and after pics

This is a discussion on Another handgun harvest before and after pics within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I thought this little guy was a doe . That is one place that a scoped rifle really helps. He busted me and ran out ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Another handgun harvest before and after pics

Another handgun harvest before and after pics

I thought this little guy was a doe. That is one place that a scoped rifle really helps. He busted me and ran out of my comfort zone for shooting, made the mistake of stopping about 40 yards ( not feet) from my stand. The nice orange sight blade of the 629 came to rest steadily at the only place I could make the shot. Because it was sharply quartering away, the only thing I had was the turn of the neck as it turned its head to see the dummy who spooked it. I launched the 240 weight XTP HP, and it collapsed on the spot.
    Unfortunately, it did not die right away, and I put one in the body from the stand before getting down.

My initial shot hit it in the mouth, breaking the jaw, and exiting uneventfully in the back of the neck. It completely shattered the lower jaw, and broke the neck, but did not kill it. I hate it when that happens.

Here is a pic I took of it before I committed to the shot, just before it turned around. This photo is not the best, and you may need to look closely in the center to pick up the image of the deer. But it shows the distance, and the difficulty in the shot.

Heres a pic of it on the ground. Notice the lower jaw.

Hunting with a handgun is very challenging and rewarding. The dynamics are ever changing, and it gets your blood pumping like no paper target at any school or course of fire can do. It will challenge you in every way. It teaches you your limits, and test your ability to pull off the shot, even when conditions arent perfect. You have to fight adrenaline and the cold weather, both gives you the shakes, lol.

Its also nice to pass up the meat aisle at the store.

Happy Thanksgiving all! In the morning Mrs Gman goes for her deer, and Im just watching.
    Chesafreak and msgt/ret like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Good stuff. Impressive shooting Gman! Happy Thanksgiving to you too and best of luck to the Mrs. tomorrow! There's no rush like the one in an up-close hunt!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Moderator
    Nice Gman, I'm only using my M1 carbine to hunt deer with this year, next year I might only use my S&W 65
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Nice shooting.. And great meals!!

VIP Member
    So.... when do we come over and eat?

Links