Getting older - Page 2

Getting older

This is a discussion on Getting older within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The neat thing is, you're now wise enough to take the 800 mg Motrin beforehand .......... and one later if needed...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Getting older

The neat thing is, you're now wise enough to take the 800 mg Motrin beforehand..........and one later if needed

I didn't expect to be able to empathize with this sentiment until much later in life (currently 40-something), but this week I happened to notice how much farther away I was having to hold my books to read them lately....
    goldshellback likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Ya know you are getting old when you sit on your testicals,trying to take a BM.
    hehe. That's what I used to tell my students when they were sleepy. Sit on your balls, it will keep you awake. Very awake.

This summer i did a 30 mile 'hump' with a bunch of young'uns..... and I'm retired ...... I felt good after the march until the next day. Those young punks are complaining about being sore and I could hardly move. I out paced 'em during the march, but thier lack of 'recovery time' still bugs me........ When did I get OLD.....?!?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sometime the Motrin 800's work and sometime two Arthritis Pain Reliefs do it. Give'm a try. One of my problems is, the floor is getting too far away!
    darbo likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The neat thing is, you're now wise enough to take the 800 mg Motrin beforehand..........and one later if needed
    I have an Rx for Naprosyn (higher strength Aleve). If I know I'm going to do some work tomorrow that will stress my joints, I'll take a Naprosyn tonight when I go to bed, then take them BID for a few days, but not longer than two weeks.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

It has been said that "age is a number and mine is unlisted."

However I will admit to being 56 years young and in as good of health as can possibly be for someone that age. I do sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies sometimes with the "snap, crackle and pop" eminating from the body, but I go on.

I go twice a week with friends my age to the YMCA. Recently have played "old guys" basketball with a group of young Middle School aged kids. We play old school ball, running, pass the ball and work it in and yes, beat them. It takes age and treachery to overcome youth and skill and we have mastered the art. When asked why we do this, I say that no matter what I can't lose. If the kids get beat by old guys, well they got beat by old guys, and if they beat us, then they have just beat some old guys. No glory in that, and I can't lose!

I am also an active Drummer in a group of other "elder" musicians and also have taken up playing some Bass Guitar, sing and just have a blast. We get together each Tuesday night at a local Pizza/Pub place and wail. Mostly it is a Harmonica group, but we have other musicians too. That keeps me active but it can be tiring.

So, despite the aches and pains of growing older, (yes, I do take the occasional Ibuprophen for them), I consider what I am able to do more than what I am not.

Keeping that positive mental attitude is essential for growing old, and I highly recommend it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

PB2
    Getting old ain't for sissies.
    darbo and minimalbrat like this.

I recently took a fun part time job, and it is fun but all my coworkers are half my age or more, and it's a more physical job I've had in recent years - on a ropes course and zip line. So of course, I feel like I have to keep up with the "kids". For the most part I think I do pretty well. But there are days Advil is my very best friend...

Don't forget the Jack

The best Rx combination(s) I have found for my 62½ year old body's aches, pain, and arthritis is...........
    • Celebrex® (Celecoxib)
    • Flexeril® (Cyclobenzaprine)
    • CHIROPRACTOR
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

VIP Member
    As I sit here typing this I have taken my old man pills. Multivitamin, Glucosamine, and others along with my sugar free Monster. My shoulder hurts, my back aches and I now have to use reading glasses but I still go to the gym and get in a run on the machines giving the youngun's a run for their money. They have their 1000 lb club and I have my run so it all works out.

My joints used to be horrible, knees especially, but I have taken the Glucosamine for 4 months now and the difference is amazing. Thankfully they have fixed the hot water heater and we now have hot showers again. Of course now I have realized I am out of Motrin and Tylenol so I will have to find some before the day is out.

Can't wait to get home and get a massage, soak in a hot tub for days and sip on a bottle of single barrel. 60 days and counting hopefully.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I look at this way, if I didn't have any pain, I would be dead. So, I can handle it.... Advil if it's really bad does great for me. Neck pain ... can be bad..... hate that the most of all.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    This works really well, for basic muscle aches that are anticipated.

Started doing this years back when I knew a long day of digging, chopping or similar was coming up. Made all the difference.

Humph. Where's the Motrin ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    You realize you could have done it in half the time if you had thrown those pesky instructions away first!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links