Another dog shot by homeowner/LEO-You decide - Page 3

Another dog shot by homeowner/LEO-You decide

This is a discussion on Another dog shot by homeowner/LEO-You decide within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ctr So what? Should your neighbor shoot your kids when they stray onto your property, NO. How is this even a comparison? ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Another dog shot by homeowner/LEO-You decide

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    So what? Should your neighbor shoot your kids when they stray onto your property, NO.
    How is this even a comparison? A little kid might bounce a basketball off your car door, but probably wont kill you.

I've seen the result of a neighbors dog gettin hold of a 6 year old girl. It ripped her arm and leg apart, and she lost fingers permanently. I dont see the neighbors kid doing that to anyone.

I love dogs (animals in general) often more than their human counterparts. It upsets me to hear when animals are hurt or killed. It disgusts me when an animal is hurt without cause. However, in some cases, it is the only option. We dont know the exact circumstances of this incident. I just hope that the dog was not killed unless it was the only available option. Even so, its probably the owners fault more than the dogs fault. Irresponsible dog owners suck.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    So what? Should your neighbor shoot your kids when they stray onto your property, NO.
    Not even close to a valid comparison.
    The comparison is: in both situations (kids, dog) there either is or isn't a legitimate active threat beyond mere presence. If there isn't, then there's about as little justification to "come out swinging" as in the other (kids) situation.
    ctr likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    I agree with Cold Shot and Jeanlouise. But I also think the dog should not have been running loose. This was normal from the way the article read. Some of the blame is on the dog's owner.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Keep your dogs fenced or on a leash,HIS DOG WAS IN THE NEIGHBORS YARD
    So what ? That's got to be the worse argument / statement I've heard.

There are a lot of dogs that love kids, and will go immediately toward them .... 'to play' and get attention.... and in no ways means they are a threat to anyone. People's unrationale fear of dogs is not a justification to shoot them... just because they were out without a leash. It's not open season on dogs.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    People's unrationale fear of dogs is not a justification to shoot them... just because they were out without a leash. It's not open season on dogs.
    ^^ This. There isn't really more to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    The LEO left the safety of his vehicle and safely entered his house, were he was also safe from being harmed by the dog.

LEO retrieves a lethal weapon (gun) from house and exits the safety of his home.

According to the LEO the threat (dog) had left the vicinity.

LEO's wife and children exit the safety of the vehicle and enter the safety of their home.

LEO chooses not to enter the safety of his home.

LEO instead leaves a safe location.

LEO encounters the dog while brandishing a weapon.

LEO describes the dog's behavior as "aggressive".

LEO shoots gun near dog.

Dog is not deterred by the sound of the gun shot (some dogs bark at loud sounds).

LEO shoots dog.

LEO shoots dog again.

LEO shoots dog a third time.

LEO claims he shot dog in "self-defense" and to "protect property".

Other neighbors describe the dog's behavior as "friendly" and they never witnessed the dog being aggressive and they never felt threatened by the dog and the dog has never hurt anyone or come close to hurting anyone and 20 minutes before the dog was killed by the LEO, the dog was playing with a neighbor and her two little dogs.

Seems like the LEO went out of his way to leave safety and put himself in a situation where he could claim "self-defense" and a need to "protect property" by use of deadly force.
    Still probably legal in the eyes of the law but outside the bounds of decency for a human being and a neighbor in my opinion.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

VIP Member
    Just because a property owner does not care for his neighbor's animal on his property is not justification for shooting the animal. What proponents are suggesting is the mere presence of the animal is a threat. That is pure and utter BS and you all know it. The same argument is used against concealed carrier - the mere presence of a weapon will cause violence. Hypocrites one and all.
    wmhawth, Jeanlouise and ccw9mm like this.

VIP Member
    I think what jumped out at me from the article and made me so mad is that the LEO, instead of calling animal control, left his house, went looking for the dog and basically executed it. That is just wrong and morally reprehensible IMO.
    How could he do that to someones pet that was not an imminent threat? I wonder if he feels like a big man now? Was that the point all along?
    Yes, I supposed he had the "right" to do it, that's not the issue. Common decency is the issue.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I think what jumped out at me from the article and made me so mad is that the LEO, instead of calling animal control, left his house, went looking for the dog and basically executed it. That is just wrong and morally reprehensible IMO.
    How could he do that to someones pet that was not an imminent threat? I wonder if he feels like a big man now? Was that the point all along?
    Yes, I supposed he had the "right" to do it, that's not the issue. Common decency is the issue.
    I have a dog. She's a very sweet boxer and jack russell terrier mix. She's not vicious, in fact she's afraid of her own shadow. We were out for a walk once and startled a deer and she almost knocked me down trying to get away. She can react defensively and growl around strangers, like most dogs. She would never bite them.

Now, here's the thing: if she winds up in someone else's yard, I don't expect them to know this. I look at it from their point of view. They can assume the growling is just bluster. If they're wrong, maybe they get a minor bite on the forearm. Maybe it causes nerve damage. Maybe you need both hands to work as a cop, or whatever else. Maybe you're not a fan of your own dog getting chewed up while you call animal control and hide in your house. It's a dog, that is, for all you know, stray and/or rabid.

That's why I make sure the gates are closed when our dog goes out to drop the deuce. That's why she wears a leash when we go for a run. Anything less, she could be hit by a car, or dispatched by a neighbor who isn't willing to try to support his family on a $900/month disability pension as a consequence of trying to be humane and rescue my pet.

That's life. If you value your pet, keep it safe. If you don't, put the blame where it belongs.

Stats for fatal dog attacks in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post

I've seen the result of a neighbors dog gettin hold of a 6 year old girl. It ripped her arm and leg apart, and she lost fingers permanently. Even so, its probably the owners fault more than the dogs fault. Irresponsible dog owners suck.

Dog lovers see their mutts as their children. I doubt anyone would shoot a dog because you will soon be dealing with a crazed owner. But, owners with vicious dogs, who let them run loose, are asking for a dead dog. People buy these explosive creatures as protection, and the rest of the neighbors pay the price.

Dog bite statistics

An estimated 4.7 million dog bites occur in the U.S. each year

Nearly 800,000 dog bites require medical care - 5% of ER visits are dog bites

The insurance industry pays more than $1 billion in dog-bite claims each year

Quote Originally Posted by nmbr5ml View Post

What really gets me is the same people who would applaud this guy with the same number of facts if he'd gunned down an alleged gang member, are ready to crucify him because it was a dog. It's a symptom of the disturbing direction in which our society is heading. People are so insular and angry. So antisocial. 20 years ago we would label people sociopaths for conduct that is so common today. Many Americans literally value the life of their pet over that of their fellow man. I think this is sick.

One last annoying thing about the article is the mention of the owner being a veteran. I am a combat veteran. It doesn't make me any less responsible for my dog's safety. It really doesnt get me anything at all except a modest pension, reasonable medical insurance, a bullet frag in my leg, etc. People using it to gain sympathy when they do dumb things is disgusting.

The dog can't take care of itself. It relies on the owner for that. Keep your dogs safe.
    I'm surprised (but maybe not much) that this hasn't been commented on more. So now if we have a fear of what a neighborhood dog might do to one of our children or grand children, we have to keep them inside? Not me.
    Very well said, and I couldn't agree more.

Possibly the worst post I've ever read. HAHAHA! Thats right....kids and dogs are the same Didn't we just have this discussion recently? Was the guy wrong for shooting the dog? Maybe. Was the dog owner negligent? ABSOLUTELY. Dog ownership is a responsibility. If you cannot control your dog, stop owning dogs. You cannot require that your neighbors interpret the intentions of your dog. You cannot expect HUMANS to alter their behavior for YOUR LACK OF RESPONSIBILITY. As for the comparison between the presence of a dog, and the presence of a concealed weapon? STOP. It's not the same. An animal is unpredictable. A firearm is an inanimate object. Everyone is so emotional about these dog shootings. So much love being expressed for the poor dogs. I submit that if these people loved their animals they wouldn't allow them to run at neighbors. They wouldn't let them stand outside a neighbors car intimidating people. They wouldn't let their dogs run onto other people's property.

VIP Member
    Here's what we don't know. Did the owner make a habit of letting his dog run loose? Did the neighbor just move in and the LEO had no idea of it's temperment? Had the dog been aggressive previously?

I have a Boston Terrier that's weighs about 27 pounds. He stays in our yard. He's never bitten anyone or even acted like he wanted to bite. Twice, when we first moved in 3 years ago, he ran into the neighbors yard (before he knew where his boundries were). If my neighbor had come out with a 22 and shot my dog 3 times I would be devastated, worse than devastated. Could you not wait half an hour for me to find him? Could you not have called animal control? Could you not have come over to my house, banged on the door and told me to get my dog off your property before you shoot it? (Thankfully I live in a neighborhood where people treat each other with respect and concern, so that woould never happen).

I just think the LEO acted in haste and now a man has lost his dog. The picture of the Pit is a very different picture than the dog in question. It's like saying you have a "quirky" neighbor and then holding up a picture of Charles Manson.
    wmhawth and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    Depends on the dog. Depends on the situation.

Doesn't depend on mere presence.
    wmhawth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I have a Boston Terrier that's weighs about 27 pounds. He stays in our yard. He's never bitten anyone or even acted like he wanted to bite. Twice, when we first moved in 3 years ago ...
    One of the things I've always enjoyed about smaller towns is the general neighborliness, as compared to larger cities. It's always impressed me when newly-arrived neighbors that had dogs would come around to introduce themselves and ensure their dogs were known. In the few instances I can recall, many were also families with kids, and local kids were invited to come over to play with the kids, dogs. Everyone got to know the animals on the block, and blowback such as described in this article was almost unheard of. Nowadays, particularly in larger cities, lots of folks don't take any time to get to know other folks/pets in neighborhoods. Hence, ugly, zero-tolerance situations like this.
    d2jlking, wmhawth and Jeanlouise like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links