Another dog shot by homeowner/LEO-You decide

This is a discussion on Another dog shot by homeowner/LEO-You decide within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Jeanlouise This is a totally different scenerio than the one in the article. If a dog like that is running the neighborhood ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 70 of 70
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Another dog shot by homeowner/LEO-You decide

  1. #61
    Member Array Dcasandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    This is a totally different scenerio than the one in the article. If a dog like that is running the neighborhood and onto your property you woud be justified in shooting it. Actually, that owner makes me angry. Dogs by nature aren't vicious, you have to teach them that...usually by being cruel and vicious to them.
    This is so untrue. Any dog at anytime can bite anyone. If you only knew the number of times I've heard this while someone else is being sown up it would change your mind.
    Daniel Defense V2 AR15
    Sig P226 TACOPS
    Glock 26
    Diamond Back DB9
    M&P Shield

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #62
    Senior Member Array theskunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    806
    Typical of many dog owners, "It's not my dog that's the problem. It is the person walking past my house"!
    Dog Owners keep your dogs leashed, behind a fence or in a kennel PERIOD! It only takes one time an tragedy can happen.
    I can imagine the damage that a dog can do to a 5 yr old kid.

  4. #63
    VIP Member
    Array Jeanlouise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    2,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcasandman View Post
    This is so untrue. Any dog at anytime can bite anyone. If you only knew the number of times I've heard this while someone else is being sown up it would change your mind.
    It's not untrue at all. Most dogs that are mean have been taught to be mean. Of course any dog can bite if given the right circumstances but the average run of the mill dog is mean because he's been taught.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

  5. #64
    Member Array Dcasandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    It's not untrue at all. Most dogs that are mean have been taught to be mean. Of course any dog can bite if given the right circumstances but the average run of the mill dog is mean because he's been taught.
    I completely disagree with this. I'm not trying to be mean, but dogs by their nature are born hunters. They do not have to be taught in anyway to be mean. Come spend sometime in my house with my Yorkie. She cant hurt you and has lived a more than charmed life, but will nip a stranger in a second. I've had in door German Shorthairs that would tear a strangers head off if they entered my house growing up without one of us. We never once hit, shocked, or trained the dog with negative punishment. Some dogs are plain aggressive. They do not have to be taught I promise you.
    Daniel Defense V2 AR15
    Sig P226 TACOPS
    Glock 26
    Diamond Back DB9
    M&P Shield

  6. #65
    VIP Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    2,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcasandman View Post
    I completely disagree with this. I'm not trying to be mean, but dogs by their nature are born hunters. They do not have to be taught in anyway to be mean. Come spend sometime in my house with my Yorkie. She cant hurt you and has lived a more than charmed life, but will nip a stranger in a second. I've had in door German Shorthairs that would tear a strangers head off if they entered my house growing up without one of us. We never once hit, shocked, or trained the dog with negative punishment. Some dogs are plain aggressive. They do not have to be taught I promise you.
    You give permission for your dog to nip at - to behave aggressively toward strangers? Why that is downright anti-social in my book, Mr. Dcasandman. More than charmed life you say - translation: spoiled brat without rules boundaries or limitations.

    Dogs, my friend, learn everything through socialization just like we do. I read somewhere that dogs have an IQ comparable to a 2 yr. old human. Just because a two year old can not hurt you is not a reason to tolerate insolent behavior. This, of course, does not count the immeasurable level of "olfactory intelligence" that every dog is born with. This is why we created them in the first place, to increase our chance of a successful hunt.

    I could spend 500 words on why allowing bird dogs to behave aggressively toward strangers, both dogs and humans, is a bad idea but I'll keep it short. It's a good way to ruin a hunt.

  7. #66
    Member Array Dcasandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    27
    The point is that they do it. Do I allow it no. Dogs are unreliable and unpredictable. Their behavior can not be controlled 100% of the time. I do not spoil the dog, nor do I allow to get away with murder, but it happens at times. It happens even with some of the most well trained dogs I have ever seen. I saw one of the most well mannered Golden Retriever put a laceration on a neighbors kid that took over a 100 stitches to put back together. The dog was one of the most obedient dogs I have ever seen and had to pleasure to hunt with. Just as you use a 2 year old as an example their behavior is not 100 percent predictable no mater what super parent you profess to be at times. I also highly doubt a dog has the problem solving skills or the IQ of a 2 year old human. May be 1.

    I never encouraged the bird dogs to be aggressive and they were instantly kenneled following poor behavior. We tried several different dog whisper and training books to break the habit, but non were 100 percent successful.

    Dogs at times are unpredictable and most owners do not care for their dogs as they should. If a dog was in my yard growling at me or harming my dog I probably would not kill it, but the nearest garden tool or bb gun would be pointed its way.
    Daniel Defense V2 AR15
    Sig P226 TACOPS
    Glock 26
    Diamond Back DB9
    M&P Shield

  8. #67
    VIP Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    2,002
    It's two for the IQ. I can hardly get a 1 year old human to follow me anywhere but I can get a two year old human to follow everywhere.

    It is true that in the end a dog is just a dog. We make them. It's what we make of them that counts and prevents the unwarranted slaughter.
    ctr likes this.

  9. #68
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,708
    Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post


    Stats for fatal dog attacks in 2011


    Dog lovers see their mutts as their children. I doubt anyone would shoot a dog because you will soon be dealing with a crazed owner. But, owners with vicious dogs, who let them run loose, are asking for a dead dog. People buy these explosive creatures as protection, and the rest of the neighbors pay the price.

    Dog bite statistics

    An estimated 4.7 million dog bites occur in the U.S. each year

    Nearly 800,000 dog bites require medical care - 5% of ER visits are dog bites

    The insurance industry pays more than $1 billion in dog-bite claims each year
    I think these are soooo dumb. First, the dog WAS NOT a Pit Bull . Again.... I've seen "THIS SAME ARGUMENT" used in my life .... against so many breeds thru my life it's ridiculous..... German Shephards, Chows, Siberians, Boxers, and on and on and on and on. Typically occurring when the breed became "popular" to own..... and there were irresponsible owners .... blah blah blah blah blah. Your argument is absolutely NO different at all.

    This was not a dog out due to an irresponsible owner, it wasn't attacking anyone, it didn't attack him at all when he got out of the car, ..... no justification for it AT ALL. Here, the guy would be in jail.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  10. #69
    VIP Member
    Array ctr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley in Virginia
    Posts
    2,331
    I would have to say the 5 percent of ER visits are dog bites does not hold true at my hospital. The total stats for open wound treatments is less than 2 percent of the census, and very few of those are bites.

  11. #70
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,400
    Dogs at times are unpredictable and most owners do not care for their dogs as they should.
    Besides being questionable as truth that just misses the point.

    It just isn't going to be possible to portray the shooter presented in the OP as a frightened home owner standing his ground and defending his family and himself from a vicious dog attack. The facts, as least as shown here just don't support it. More likely he was an irate homeowner who decided he had enough of that nuisance dog coming around and decided to waste him. Repeating the mantra that the dog owner should have contained his dog just states the obvious again and again but it doesn't work to change the fact that the 25 year old cop (neighbor??) didn't need to shoot the dog when he could have just called Animal Control. I'm glad he's not living and carrying a badge in my neighborhood.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

aggressive dog shot in wv

,

best dog for a home owner

,

coty calviera

,

dog owners suck

,

homeowner shooting own dog

,

zeus the dog shot in sc

Click on a term to search for related topics.