Another dog shot by homeowner/LEO-You decide

This is a discussion on Another dog shot by homeowner/LEO-You decide within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; An off duty LEO says he was defending his property and shot a veterans dog. You all decide. Man's best friend fatally shot by neighbor ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Another dog shot by homeowner/LEO-You decide

Another dog shot by homeowner/LEO-You decide

An off duty LEO says he was defending his property and shot a veterans dog. You all decide.

Man's best friend fatally shot by neighbor - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

Wilson claims that the neighbor's dog, Zeus, trapped his wife and children in the car by standing outside the vehicle.
    About the most that can be said is: they felt fearful of exiting their car.

Although, according to the report, Wilson was able to get out of the car and into his home without being approached by Coty Calviera's dog.
    And the mere fact he was able to exit the car without aggressive interference shows that's not far off the mark (that they were fearful, not that they were trapped).

Wilson says he then went in the backyard to unchain his own dog when Calviera's dog "returned and was aggressive towards him."
    It all comes down that what the nature/level/duration of the "aggression" was. Growling? IMO, not sufficient for death. Barking, pacing, looking furtive, but keeping some distance? IMO, not sufficient for death. Though, I would think it all depends on the severity of the actual threat, not merely feelings of fear over a dog's mere proximity.

That's just me. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I wonder if there was bad blood between neighbors in the past.
    darbo likes this.

Keep your dogs fenced or on a leash,HIS DOG WAS IN THE NEIGHBORS YARD
    mrm likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Most sane people won't pop-a-dog because the owner will freak out. I was bit by a dog 2 months ago, and I can appreciate a fear-of-dogs. People having aggresive dogs are just asking for trouble, especially if there are small neighborhood children around. If a dog is aggresive, and not on a leash, and comes charging, then you have the right to defend yourself.

The owners need to be respondsible. A small kid can be tore up by a dog.
    MrsHB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ......HIS DOG WAS IN THE NEIGHBORS YARD
    Sorry, but this is not sufficient reason to kill dog and/or discharge firearms in neighborhood IMHO.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Life's short.

It's shorter when you're a dog with an irresponsible owner.

A roaming dog is a nuisance at best, and a menace at worst. This dog owner has no one to blame but himself. Loose dogs usually end up getting run over by a car, or consuming rat poison somewhere, or getting in a fight with a bigger dog... you name it. If you care a lick about your dog, keep him contained.

Having been in a very similar situation as this LEO (and hearing the same old line - wait for it - "Oh but my dog is NEVER aggressive!"), I'm not inclined to be sympathetic to the owner. Dog was a mastiff cross I encountered unexpectedly after rounding the corner of my house. It hackled up, became rigid, and stared long and hard into my eyes while leaning forward and growling softly. Back then, I didn't carry. I was able to slowly back away and get back into the house without being attacked. Not long after that, said dog (which was often running loose despite repeated requests to contain it) sadly disappeared. I can only imagine what happened to him. <sniff>

I don't know if there's more to this LEO's story than what he told or not, but I can't imagine that he would've shot a friendly dog, especially with his wife and kid there. Either the dog was menacing, or was honestly perceived as such (perhaps erroneously). Just my opinion.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Keep your dogs fenced or on a leash,HIS DOG WAS IN THE NEIGHBORS YARD
    So what? Should your neighbor shoot your kids when they stray onto your property, NO.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Sorry, but this is not sufficient reason to kill dog and/or discharge firearms in neighborhood IMHO.
    This is undoubtedly true. There is no need to kill friendly neighborhood pets. Sometimes dogs get loose.

From reading the articles, it seems like Zeus is left to roam a fair amount, judging by the quotes from neighbors. This could be completely wrong, but I get a sense that the cop was essentially fed up with the dog bothering him, and felt he could get away with shooting it because he's a cop and his word holds more weight in a court. That's just how I perceived the situation by the tone of the article, which could be biased because everybody loves dogs.

Not that anybody cares, but I argued in another recent thread that the guy who shot the dog shouldn't have had all his guns taken away. It should be noted that I don't think it's appropriate to shoot loose dogs on sight or anything like that. I just believed that taking someone's guns away is an extremely big deal, and he had over 100 guns in that case, which could have been $40-75k. I would imagine it's hard to get an criminal charges filed against someone who said he shot a dog in self defense, and as angry as I would be if somebody shot my dog, I think taking the shooter to small claims court would be the high end of all feasible legal action.

It doesn't mean the shooter is a good guy.

Look, it's like this. No matter how much we do our best and try to be safe, things go wrong, we are human. The "safest" guy in the world could have a ND. Of course, dogs from time to time may get out of the yard, etc.

Although, according to the report, Wilson was able to get out of the car and into his home without being approached by Coty Calviera's dog.
    So...

Although when he returned out, I wasn't there to fully witness the event and I understand people have different views and what I may view as aggressive and threatening behavior from an animal (four legged) may not be what somebody views. Then again, I've spent many years training dogs and know them quite well, so I can't really comment too much.

At face value, I say wrong.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I dealt with a situation nearly identical to this one 2 years ago. In my case the dog in my yard really was menacing. I was able to reach a very apologetic neighbor on the first ring who came immediately, leashed up his dog and went to repair the fence. No shots fired, no dead dog, no hard feelings, problem solved. Had I failed to raise the neighbor my next call would have been to animal control. Although the dog was in my yard, shooting him was neither necessary nor would it be wise nor would it be a neighborly thing to do.

There will be those who will be OK with the trigger happy kid's actions and he will be Ok legally as well but I would be willing to bet much of next month's retirement check that blowing away that dog was totally unnecessary.

What the heck is wrong with people these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    We weren't there,if the homeowner felt threatened then he is justified,if the Dog was on his own property he would be alive today,TOTALLY THE DOG OWNERS FAULT
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Stepped out the front door of our condo. Pit bull on the porch/walkway. That was the only way out of the condo. The pit was growling.

Sorry, but if I had been carrying, the pit would be D.E.D Dead.

Don't like it? Don't let your dog run loose.
    mrm likes this.

VIP Member
    We weren't there,if the homeowner felt threatened then he is justified,if the Dog was on his own property he would be alive today,TOTALLY THE DOG OWNERS FAULT
    I don't see it that way. There is fear and then there is reasonable fear. There is a difference.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

VIP Member
    After reading that article I'm truly sick over the killing of that poor dog. The dog was "standing" outside the car. How is that being aggressive? The cop knew it belonged to his neighbor, a vet with PTSD and had raised him from a puppy.
    This really disgusts me. How clueless do you have to be? Even another neighbor said the dog had never been aggressive.

I don't know what that cops problem was but there are some people who should never be cops. Hopefully someone won't make him feel "threatened" and shoot them.

Yes, there are some very aggressive dogs out there but this was his neighbor and you would think he could have handled it with more compassion.
    Last edited by Jeanlouise; November 24th, 2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typo
    oldnfat likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links