Why Your Walk May Attract Predators

This is a discussion on Why Your Walk May Attract Predators within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; AOL.com Video - Why Your Walk May Attract Predators...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Crowman
  • 1 Post By Brad426

Thread: Why Your Walk May Attract Predators

Why Your Walk May Attract Predators

QKShooter and swiftyjuan like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

This is a partial explanation of what SA is, and why it is important. A demonstration of situational awareness can ward off problems before they become difficult to manage.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I have had the opportunity to teach students in safety classes the following lesson in situational awareness.

Told them to just stand quietly during a passing period between classes in the school, observe their fellow students and see how most of them are so lost in their cellphones or conversations that you could walk a dude in a Zombie costume right past them and they would never even see it happen.

My teaching point is a time when, about a decade ago, I was walking with the family down Austin's Guadalupe Street near U.T. (the drag) and observed a woman I had arrested multiple times (I lovingly call her Frankenstein's Daughter from her Goth style and who I believe to be a true sociopath) walk past me going the opposite way with many Goth friends wearing heavy chains and heavy boots. She looked at me directly, obviously immediately recognized me even though I was in plain clothes, and nudged her goth pack of wolves once they were past me (I did a shoulder check just to be sure). I immediately told my family to turn left at the next corner and had them duck into a store fast. The goth wolf pack walked past the doorway a few moments later, obviously looking for me and mine. Wife freaked. I assured her I was carrying the off duty pistol. Long story short, we were able to walk away without any further incident, but it was an eyeopener and reminder to me that bad things can happen anywhere, any time and we do need to keep up with our surroundings.

To make a short story long..... The students always came back with amazing stories of how correct my assertion was and how they could not believe it how disassociated with their environment most students were at school. I then remind them that prior to my telling them that, they were probably just as absorbed and inattentive to their surroundings at school or at the Mall because they felt "safe in their environment."

It is an amazing awakening for most of them and I hope they learn how to live in condition Yellow when out and about.

(Oh, and I wonder if Dr. Phil wished he had a nice firearm with him just in case when he had his incident?)
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member
    Common sense , but a lot of people think they are immune from being targeted, and get complacent and end up being a victim.

I tell my kids to not be fumbling with their phone while walking to their car, it can wait till you are in the locked vehicle, look at your surroundings, and park where there is good lighting and crowds.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I tell this all the time to my daughter's boyfriend who cannot stop looking at his iPhone. I call him Captain Oblivious. One day he is going to get knocked in the head and his phone will be gone, what will he do then?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Complacency killed the cat, though Curiosity got the rap.

Oh so true, when it comes to "street" SA and the simple (sometimes, not so simple) art of avoiding landmines.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It should have been "This happened to Robin and me", Dr. Phil.

Sorry. You just don't get to be the Grammar Police for talk show folk all the time, so you have to jump on it when the opportunity arises.
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My wife used to ask me why I was always spinning around and walking backwards when talking to her when we walked. Now she knows and has a very good sense of SA. I do glance at my smartphone occasionally, but my head is on a swivel before and after.

VIP Member
    Some good points especially this time of the year, with many people out and about Christmas shopping predators know they are likely to be carrying merchandise and in some cases cash and are more distracted than usual.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

There are probably hundreds of videos you could have used to make this point. Did you have to use Dr. Phil?

Moving on. For most people, walk like you own the place.

For those of you who roam your house naked, please refrain from walking like you own the place.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Safety in life may just be walking in condition yellow or yellowish-orange rather than walking in condition white.OMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links