Secession? - Page 3

Secession?

This is a discussion on Secession? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Secession? Go for it! Saturday Night Live is always looking for new fodder. :D ... The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Secession?

Re: Secession?

Secession?

Go for it! Saturday Night Live is always looking for new fodder. :D
    The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    oakchas likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Really? I would welcome that. Sadly, Madonna and Cher never left.
    My point was about the whole "love it or leave it" attitude. And I actually agree that it is more of a statement of frustration than a real "threat". If it was a real thing I wouldn't really be so amused by the whole idea.

The last time secession was attempted it ended badly for "those" states. Why would you expect differently now? We are united, and that is where we have obtained our economic power, our political power, our geographic power, and our station in the world. Would you trade that? Insanity, I say.

I understand there are those that might label that little skirmish the "War of Northern Aggression", and I do not mean to disparage those at all. I am just stating the facts.
    wmhawth likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    People would say you are crazy, but I been saying the same thing for years. Our votes don't count. The election is 'settled', and 'arranged' months BEFORE you go to the polls. Yes I still vote but I realize it does NO good.
    Yep, It does sound crazy, but to me it seems/feels like we are headed towards a one world government more and more.
    HotGuns likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The last time secession was attempted it ended badly for "those" states. Why would you expect differently now? We are united, and that is where we have obtained our economic power, our political power, our geographic power, and our station in the world. Would you trade that? Insanity, I say.

I understand there are those that might label that little skirmish the "War of Northern Aggression", and I do not mean to disparage those at all. I am just stating the facts.
    Adding, if I may, that it ended badly for all involved. The most American casualties of any war, actually all combined since, not to mention the nearly 50 or so years it took post war for things to finally reconcile. Something to hopefully never be repeated.
    Rock and Glock and wmhawth like this.

VIP Member
    It did not end badly for all. 1) Many gained freedom of a sort 2) The European Powers, England, France, Spain, maybe
    The Netherlands, Germany, and Russia as well, would have carved us like last Thursday's Turkey had the result been different.

Moreover, there would have inevitably been further divisions. Neither the states of The South or of The North would
    have been able to hold together in a lasting new Union. It would not have been long before the member states on both
    sides would have agitated against their new central government for one reason or another. Our continent would have become
    politically fragmented into tiny pieces available for the grabbing by others.

IF you want to see where talk of secession gets you, using a non-US example, think of the Basq Separatists in Spain and how
    badly that has gone for them, and for Spain.
    wmhawth likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

People would say you are crazy, but I been saying the same thing for years. Our votes don't count. The election is 'settled', and 'arranged' months BEFORE you go to the polls. Yes I still vote but I realize it does NO good.
    No, you are not crazy, but this is a ridiculous claim. Please show us one iota of evidence that supports this proposition.
    Hopyard likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Adding, if I may, that it ended badly for all involved. The most American casualties of any war, actually all combined since, not to mention the nearly 50 or so years it took post war for things to finally reconcile. Something to hopefully never be repeated.
    I think ctr is noting the "Human Cost" of the war was bad, all of the way around.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Dr. Paul on Secession - YouTube

Ron Paul had a couple interesting things to say about it.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Well, as I said earlier, looks like this most recent experiment with secession has failed, as only 1/10th of 1% of the American people have voted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post

well, I do believe the CSA fired the first shot at Fort Sumter.

which was, after all....Federal property.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    Well, as I said earlier, looks like this most recent experiment with secession has failed, as only 1/10th of 1% of the American people have voted for it.
    I viewed it as symbolic and a reminder that that Administration did not have a "mandate." I suspect that the vast majority of those that signed the petitions did not really want to succeed; rather, they wanted the White House to respond. I didn't read much into it, other than they were using a petition process to make a point.

Perhaps one could interpret the petitions as a expression of the petitioner's desire to return to a country where American Exceptionalism is not dead (or moribund)....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Texas has no state tax as of now.
    Have you looked at your property tax bill lately? Have you looked at all the fees spiked onto your utility bills?
    How about the 8 1/4% sales tax even collected now on on-line purchases. We have plenty of state taxes on business;
    inventory tax for example. Now back to the thread topic.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Texas also has a Corporate Franchise tax which is very similar to an income tax.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    The talk of "secession" is not about leaving the Union and making it weak.

This new type of "secession" is about strengthening the Union by removing all those who refuse to support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America.

It is about separating ourselves from those who wish to change, alter, abolish and destroy the Constitution that was left to us by the Founding Fathers.

It is about protecting the original Constitution of the United States of America.

It is about restoring a government with limited powers.

It is about healing our country by removing the "infection" that is poisoning the greatest nation on the planet.

It is about securing our freedom for eternity.

It is about protecting our Republic.

It is about rebuilding America as "one Nation under God".

It is about restoring Honor.

It is about restoring Truth.

It is about restoring Faith.

It is about restoring Love.

It is about restoring America to "a government of LAWS and NOT MEN".

It is about doing these things peacefully.

It is about SO MUCH MORE!
    Badey, HotGuns and msgt/ret like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links