Secession? - Page 6

Secession?

This is a discussion on Secession? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Jeanlouise Much of the 1%, like Buffet, Rockefeller, Reid, Pelosi, Kerry live off of estate wealth, not income tax because their vast ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Secession?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Much of the 1%, like Buffet, Rockefeller, Reid, Pelosi, Kerry live off of estate wealth, not income tax because their vast wealth does not come from income per se. That's why they don't care how high the income tax goes on others, it won't effect them. Now, I'd be all for taxing wealth at a higher rate but just try proposing that and watch the Libs who want higher taxes back off faster than a Walker with a head shot.
    Uh, estate wealth is taxed heavily, at 50% for everything above a 5 million threshold, I think. Some call that a death tax
    and try to scare the rest of us into thinking it will apply to us too, which of course it doesn't.

Yes, the truly wealthy have their ways around the wealth tax (which is a much better term for the estate tax than "death tax")
    but I doubt Congress would care to touch their goodies. Should they, I can hear the howls from the right about how the poor wealthy are being taxed out of their well inherited wealth that great grandpa worked so hard to earn (steal) whatever.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Where does the Federal Government go? THE UNITED NATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is China calling themselves "THE UNITED NATIONS" now?

Senior Moderator
    The Us pays 22% of the UN's budget and 25% of it's peacekeeping budget, if we go broke so does the UN and the World bank (we supply almost 50% of the funding for the World bank)
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Uh, estate wealth is taxed heavily, at 50% for everything above a 5 million threshold, I think. Some call that a death tax
    and try to scare the rest of us into thinking it will apply to us too, which of course it doesn't.
    I'm not talking about what their estate will pay upon their death. I'm talking about what they live on right now. That money is not taxed.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I'm not talking about what their estate will pay upon their death. I'm talking about what they live on right now. That money is not taxed.
    Maybe we should go off board, because I'm not quite understanding your idea. It sounds like you are saying if I have
    1 million in assets I should pay a "property tax" on that 1 million in wealth? Is that what you mean? I think it has been tried
    by some states without much luck, but I don't know if that is the type of tax you mean. Also, would there be credits
    on this wealth tax for the taxes paid when the wealth was "earned?" I think that could get pretty complicated pretty fast.

I could see some merit in a wealth tax though I am sure it would be extremely controversial and probably along the usual
    partisan lines.

(I thought the thread topic was secession?)
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

We are way off topic here.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    We are way off topic here.
    I thought this was in Off Topic but I agree
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Texas is AWESOME, screw CA, screw NYC and especially screw DC...there now thats back on topic

VIP Member
    Would mess up the electorial college? or balance in the Senate / house ?

Personally, I think it is a really bad idea to go to the government's website and put your name on petition list that basically says that you no longer want be governed by the entity that you are giving your petition list to.

Here is your "idiot sign" make sure you keep that with your "enemy of the state" sign when you are out in public.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Personally, I think it is a really bad idea to go to the government's website and put your name on petition list that basically says that you no longer want be governed by the entity that you are giving your petition list to.

Here is your "idiot sign" make sure you keep that with your "enemy of the state" sign when you are out in public.
    Youv'e got a very valid point there...I did not hear about said petition and probably wouldn't have signed it if I had. The mumerings of Texas seceding are more water cooler talks around here and ALOT of people I know are all for it...but that's not something you sign a petition for.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Youv'e got a very valid point there...I did not hear about said petition and probably wouldn't have signed it if I had. The mumerings of Texas seceding are more water cooler talks around here and ALOT of people I know are all for it...but that's not something you sign a petition for.
    Active petitions:
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions

Texas Secession petition:
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nment/BmdWCP8B
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Talk of secession has followed every election since 1865, or before. It's just talk, though inviting. Most States couldn't exist without the federal dollars. What I'd like to see is that if a State, like TEXAS, is remotely considering such a foolish move, they should first start refusing any/all federal dollars, and likewise stop collecting federal taxes. Money talks, and it the only way to make a politician listen.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Investment income is taxed at a different rate because the money has already been taxed once as corporate income.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Our Governor has already said he does not support the secesion petition nor do I hear of any Texas law makers taking it seriously...now if the federal government tried a serious gun grab or other draconian type move, well, the secesion idea might carry a bit more weight.
    Geezer and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links