Secession?

This is a discussion on Secession? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just wondering what you guys think of this new "Secession" craze. if you base its popularity on the White House petition website, there are only ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Secession?

Secession?

Just wondering what you guys think of this new "Secession" craze.

if you base its popularity on the White House petition website, there are only around 300,000 Americans who want any part of the USA to secede, which is 1/10th of 1% of our population.

Not a very large number.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    These people can't think. I think Washington should accept their petitions and approve them. There is currently not a single state government that can support itself without Federal funds returned to the states for all kinds of services. Each state would become it's own country therefore would need their own Military, all goods and services produced in those states would need to be Exported to the US and import needed goods, and the companies would have to pay the import/export taxes. Citizens of these states should be required to have passports to travel within the US.

So after they secede, and the businesses in those states go out of business, the taxes they would have to pay to support their independent government, and the other expenses they would face they would all be moving back into the US. You gotta wonder what flavor of Kool-Aid they are drinking.

This is a political thread...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Secession? Ummmm....No
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    This is a political thread...
    If its not allowed, I do apologize. I thought all topics were allowed in the Off-Topic section.

Anyone who thinks that someone is truly trying to seceed, are so very wrong and so missing the point. The point isn't to secede. The point it that they're using Obamas website against him to air their grievences and mistrust, while getting a promised official Obama response.

No one wants to stop being part of America. It's proving a point, it's going "Hey, we don't like you, now you have to give us an official response like your website says you will"
    Hopyard, thephanatik, mrm and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "There is currently not a single state government that can support itself without Federal funds returned to the states for all kinds of services."

I don't know about that. Imagine if all the tax money that each resident and business sends to the Feds instead went to the state coffers, The state's checking account would look very nice indeed. I know I pay far more to the Feds than I do to the state. I'm sure the state would appreciate that amount.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    Anyone who thinks that someone is truly trying to seceed, are so very wrong and so missing the point. The point isn't to secede. The point it that they're using Obamas website against him to air their grievences and mistrust, while getting a promised official Obama response.

No one wants to stop being part of America. It's proving a point, it's going "Hey, we don't like you, now you have to give us an official response like your website says you will"
    we all know what the official response will be:

"while we have strong differences in our views & beliefs, we are all one nation and should strive to work together to tackle our common problems. we can't expect us all to follow the exact same path and agenda, except the agenda of making America a better place for our children & grandchildren".

:)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "There is currently not a single state government that can support itself without Federal funds returned to the states for all kinds of services."

I don't know about that. Imagine if all the tax money that each resident and business sends to the Feds instead went to the state coffers, The state's checking account would look very nice indeed. I know I pay far more to the Feds than I do to the state. I'm sure the state would appreciate that amount.
    well, Texas for example, the state that has the most petitioners on the website, gets billions of dollars in Federal money for jobs, due to NASA and the military. Remove that money, and Texas is in bad shape.

It is treason and they are traitors.
    Hopyard and Ishmael like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

He lost the election. It was rigged I believe and if it wasnt rigged, there was fraud in every city in America, Just like where Im near. PHILLY. There was a ton of fraud there, Listeners to the radio station were in tears where it was said in the district where they lived that Romney got No votes. B.S. the lines were flooded with people black and white who voted against obama in certain districts and their votes didnt count, not to mention the 3hours where the republican oversears where kicked out of the polls. X's that by every city.. But I think Its higher thann that, I believe Obama was already appointed to be president by the Kenites or the UN.. I hate corruption. It is off topic humer now because its gonna backfire on all the ones who wanted FREE s&^t
    DC, mrm and msgt/ret like this.

I have a good Idea, Turn of the MEDIA and become the united states again because the goal of the media is to make us the divided states.. I wont watch the media no more and there are people all over going to boycot watching all major networks. If they stick to that and the media has no audience they lose

It's an interesting, conjectural discussion, although few states could actually manage without Federal intervention. A small number of states that could actually be self-sufficient without Federal taxation or Federal benefits, Texas and Alaska being two that come to mind.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I don't think secession is the answer to the current problems. Participating in the elective process and voting out office holders would go along way. So too if the majority of Americans would simply just participate in the process the current mess could not exist.

Many states would actually fare better without Federal dollars. It was not that long ago that states did not receive federal dollars. So much of state spending goes to meeting ridiculous federal mandates it is no wonder states need federal funds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    well, Texas for example, the state that has the most petitioners on the website, gets billions of dollars in Federal money for jobs, due to NASA and the military. Remove that money, and Texas is in bad shape.
    Possibly true, but then the Feds would be deprived of all the taxation and Social Security contributions (the latter would legitimately have to be returned to its original contributors). Also, since Texas has roughly half the oil refining capacity of the entire US, I think the export tariffs on Texas-refined petroleum products would easily make up the difference in revenue.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links