Recurve bow archery

This is a discussion on Recurve bow archery within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been focused on guns since August, but started shooting bows in April. I haven't shot my bow since August, but I went to the ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Pythius
  • 1 Post By mprp
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Recurve bow archery

Recurve bow archery

I've been focused on guns since August, but started shooting bows in April.

I haven't shot my bow since August, but I went to the range today with my 30 lb. recurve, and this is how I did at 20 yards.

QKShooter and wmhawth like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I see the Hunger Games in store for you!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Good start. The flyers are probably a result of flinging the fingers open rather than letting the string slip out. What anchor point are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Good start. The flyers are probably a result of flinging the fingers open rather than letting the string slip out. What anchor point are you using?
    first of all, I'm using the three rubber tab thing on the string.

secondly, my anchor point is the tip of my right index finger at the corner of my mouth. It seems to work well for me, even though the guy at the range told me it was wrong (the younger guy at the range told me it was right, 7 months ago).

yes, my release is bad. I've been counting to 5 in my head, and releasing the string at 4..trying to hold the bow steady till 5...but i still start to let the bow drop before 5. I don't know why this is soo damn hard for me.

as to the position of my hand when I release, that too sucks. i need LOTS of practise, simply releasing.

VIP Member
    Either anchor point is correct. I know lots of folks shooting traditional that use one or the other. Just pick the one that feels best and stick with it.

Make sure your elbow is pointed high and back when you anchor. Since you are actually anchoring aka aiming rather than instinctive the point I'd the arrow can be used to aim. Concentrate more on consistent form at this stage. Once you have that down the rest will come.

I hope you stick with it, recurve shooting is so much fun. Btw, good on not choosing a draw weight of 50 pounds or more.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    I've been focused on guns since August, but started shooting bows in April.

I haven't shot my bow since August, but I went to the range today with my 30 lb. recurve, and this is how I did at 20 yards.

Wow, 30#? I have small arms, and I have shot a 40-45# since I was about 15 (and that was a LONG time ago) I'm not sure what weight my sister shot, but she was on the Sydney '00 US Olympic team in recurve. <3 Archery. I could never get into compounds, though. I wish more people were into archery with recurves honestly. I'm trying to sell my two '54 Bear Kodiak Specials down here where I am on CL and nobody has shown any interest at all.

Re: Recurve bow archery

Traditional archery is one of my passions (along with the volunteer fire company and shooting.)

That looks like very good shooting to me! I'd say the flyers are from being a little out of practice.

Welcome back.:D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ok, big question:

why is it dangerous or bad for the bow, to dry-fire it?

i mean, the mass of the arrow isn't much, so why is it a problem?

i dont get it.

Not to be too technical, the resistance from being released with an arrow is needed so that energy is transferred to the arrow and not all to the limbs.
    oneshot likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Not to be too technical, the resistance from being released with an arrow is needed so that energy is transferred to the arrow and not all to the limbs.
    Bingo, and can lead to total limb failure.

VIP Member
    Quit making me look lazy with my compound AND crossbow, eh.

I would probably have a hard time hitting the broadside of a barn from the inside with a recurve, good for you!!!!!!!!!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Quit making me look lazy with my compound AND crossbow, eh.

I would probably have a hard time hitting the broadside of a barn from the inside with a recurve, good for you!!!!!!!!!!
    when i can hit the bullseye three times from 30 yards, THAT'S when I am impressed with myself.

You are doing very well. FWIW, the exercise of counting before releasing is good to reinforce proper form and strength. But it fatigues you, and fatigue causes misses.
    Do your hold exercise at the end of your practice.
    Pythius likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Links