Off-Topic but 'In The News'...... what would YOU do for the family dog? - Page 2

Off-Topic but 'In The News'...... what would YOU do for the family dog?

This is a discussion on Off-Topic but 'In The News'...... what would YOU do for the family dog? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The boy went in first, after the dog. The parents are committed at that point - no turning back. Parents swept to sea in effort ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Off-Topic but 'In The News'...... what would YOU do for the family dog?

VIP Member
    The boy went in first, after the dog. The parents are committed at that point - no turning back.

Parents swept to sea in effort to save son, dog - Yahoo! News

Absolutely tragic.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

The daughter called for help. Trouble is, cell phone service is spotty there. It's entirely likely she had to exit the sand spit area and get back near "civilization" (if you can call it that) nearer to the roadway. Depends where they were. The parks person indicated it was a 1/2mi jog from the last spot she could park to the scene.

Imagine being the daughter. Imagine having to leave that beach knowing what happened, in order to get any sort of assistance.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Are you talking about the Shelter Cove area, or somewhere further north? There aren't too many spots safe for all-weather entry or exit, depending on the seasons.

If at SC, then I'm assuming you went for the abalone.

Yeah, getting "trashed" when attempting to exit isn't any fun. BTDT, back in the day, when bodysurfing at some wicked breaks that took no prisoners. Had to be amazingly fit, strong and daft, as well as having full use of the fins (as opposed to having just had them get ripped off the feet) in order to have a prayer of getting out in one piece. Fun on the waves, but getting back to the beach could be brutal. I'm sure I still have some scarring from some of the worst days, from the sand enemas to the Brillo-bottom-bounce action. I still shiver a bit thinking of some of those days ...
    Pretty close actually. I've done a lot of diving all around the Fort Bragg, Ca. area which is a little bit south of Point Arena. Rock entry, rock exits. The time in particular that I mentioned, a buddy of mine and I were trying to get back on the rocks, he ended up getting launched over the top of me, (I was already stuck to the rocks trying to exit) and when the swell receded we both ended up tumbling down the very steep rocks about 20' back down into the water. It's amazing how incredibly helpless and insignificant the ocean can make you feel when you're in it.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    chase sb champs hat.jpg
    I would do anything for my guy, plus he likes the Packers!

Administrator
    If at all possible I would try to save my pooch but, common sense would need to rule the day. I sure would make every reasonable attempt.

But, as stated above...once your child jumps in after the dog any parent is very likely going to follow. How do you go on living the rest of your life watching your child drown without getting your feet wet?
    If I had to live with that I would probably drown myself in the bathtub.
    goldshellback and Jeanlouise like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    chase sb champs hat.jpg
    I would do anything for my guy, plus he likes the Packers!
    He looks pensive: "You want me to dive into that uber-cold surf, wearing this silly Packers hat? What are you, nutz??"
    goldshellback likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I could not go too far into it, to save my dog, or any one that I have ever owned, and risk my children growing up fatherless.

Evidently a daughter was there with them.
    So sad.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I would go in after my child...who went after the dog. I'm very fond of my dog, but would go in just after her - not at the risk of my kids being orphaned. But I could never stand there while my child drowned no matter why he went in.

The whole situation is so tragic. My heart breaks for the daughter...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links