Off-Topic but 'In The News'...... what would YOU do for the family dog?

This is a discussion on Off-Topic but 'In The News'...... what would YOU do for the family dog? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Parents drown trying to rescue family dog; teenage son missing - U.S. News Very, very sad situation...... Mom, Dad, and son appear to have drowned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Off-Topic but 'In The News'...... what would YOU do for the family dog?

Parents drown trying to rescue family dog; teenage son missing - U.S. News

Very, very sad situation...... Mom, Dad, and son appear to have drowned trying to save Fido for the angry winter waves of the northern Cali shore.

I LOVE my dogs and I would attempt, within reason, to save them...... BUT, I wouldn't sacrifice myself or allow to a member of my family to endanger themselves to save the dog.

What say you?

This is SUCH a sad and tragic event. Prayers to the surviving daughter............
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I love my dogs - all five of 'em - but at the end of the day, they are still dogs and I will not put my life in jeopardy to save theirs. God help me, I hope I'm never confronted with having to make that choice.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    That's so tragic. Things happen so fast. No, I wouldn't sacrifice myself for my dog but who goes into these situations thinking they aren't going to survive.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

That stretch of coast can be very difficult to survive, under certain conditions. Terrible "rip" currents, undertow that won't let you reach the surface, submerged rocky outcrops that'll tear you up. Depends very much on the particular spot, and they're all different, biting back differently. Bad juju, to head into the water in 10ft surf, in many spots there.

Would I head into such surf to help a family dog? Likely not. Almost certainly not if it was a spot I didn't know well (from the perspective of being in the water in various conditions). Though, if it had been at a spot that I knew exceptionally well and believed I could both survive and make a difference? Absolutely.

As for this story, my only question is this: assuming the brief report is true, that they all jumped in in an attempt to retrieve the dog, what possessed them to ALL do it, risking loss of everyone?

As brief as the story is, I'm wondering whether the reporting got it wrong: that they didn't all willingly jump in to get Fido, but rather the waves conspired with their being too close to pull the unwilling into the sea. Might not ever know, if there weren't onlookers who were close enough to distinguish clearly what happened.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It could very well be one family member jumped in to save the dog,but became distressed and the other family members jumped in to save the one in trouble with all perishing.Sometimes people will put themselves at risk to save somebody knowing that it's hard to look in the mirror knowing that what if you tried maybe they would be alive today.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would always attempt, within reason, to save my fur kids. Here we swim in the river and I would probably go in after them here because I KNOW that it spreads out and gets shallower on down the line. Thought I might have to get my Lab once when he got caught up against a pier, but he got off it on his own. Had to drag my Chow mix out once because with her coat waterlogged she couldn't swim against the current - but that's because I wanted her to come upstream to the boat ramp - she would have been perfectly safe to float down stream and get out on somebody else's property. When swollen by floods though, instead of just regular rain high current, eh, might be trees and such in the water to snag us up. I think I would have to hope that they found their own way out further down the line and I would be searching the surrounding properties for them.

The best thing I know to do is simply preventative - leashes save dog's lives. We either don't go near the river when it's flooded, or don't let the dogs off leash. Had the dog been on leash, would it have gotten swept up in the water?
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Not a situation I can easily imagine or one I would want to imagine. My dog is my best friend and I'm not just saying that and it would be a near impossible choice to make in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    The best thing I know to do is simply preventative - leashes save dog's lives. We either don't go near the river when it's flooded, or don't let the dogs off leash. Had the dog been on leash, would it have gotten swept up in the water?
    Works very well, to prevent this sort of thing. After all, it's not as though 10ft surf wasn't obvious, and obviously dangerous.

Sticking your hand in fire sometimes results in getting burned.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    My Dad grew up there. He says the lagoon is not connected to the ocean, the water perks out through the sand to drain. They must have been on the beach which is know for strong rip currents and a very steep drop-off. They always knew not to go in beyond 2-3 feet deep there.
    I have had many Labradors over the years. They tend to enjoy swimming even if they have to break ice to do it. Once one broke ice in a local small lake and could not break it coming to shore or climb on top. I watched him for a while afraid he wasn't going to make it. Just as I started moving to go in, he managed to get up and out, very tired. Glad he did, even thought I knew the lake was only 4 feet deep I didn't want to go in.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

mkh
    I don't think anyone of them expected this outcome when they went in after the dog. Would I do it? I won't know until it actually happens.

Remember if the first one in had succeeded this would be a non issue. Only in hindsight does it look bad.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    My Dad grew up there. He says the lagoon is not connected to the ocean, the water perks out through the sand to drain. They must have been on the beach which is know for strong rip currents and a very steep drop-off. They always knew not to go in beyond 2-3 feet deep there.
    Well, that particular lagoon is most definitely right up against the ocean. Yes, during lower surf and tide conditions, the sand spit does separate the two. But in anything 12-15ft or larger, it's entirely possible for the embankment to be breached. The reports aren't indicating exactly where along the spit they were, if on it at all. But with 10ft surf, you'd never catch me out on that thing. One bad wave, and it could easily become a death trap.

Bummer for the family ... if any are still left.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Well, that particular lagoon is most definitely right up against the ocean. Yes, during lower surf and tide conditions, the sand spit does separate the two. But in anything 12-15ft or larger, it's entirely possible for the embankment to be breached. The reports aren't indicating exactly where along the spit they were, if on it at all. But with 10ft surf, you'd never catch me out on that thing. One bad wave, and it could easily become a death trap.

Bummer for the family ... if any are still left.
    Yeah, they reported on the news last night that the dog survived.

I've been scuba diving up here on the north coast of Ca. in conditions that turned from fair to bad just in the time it took to burn a tank. (30-40 minutes) It's fine on the bottom but when you surface it can be very rough and it's like a relentless washing machine. Even with scuba gear and a 1/4" wetsuit it can get pretty dicey trying to make it back up on the rocks to exit. The water, waves and rocks makes for a nice view but it can be very deceiving and kills people.

It's a very sad situation for sure but on a day that there is a 10 ft. surf, it's best to keep some distance.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Ex Member
    I am old school. My dogs wouldn't hesitate to lay their lives down for me, I would be honored to do he same.
    Ksgunner likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I am old school. My dogs wouldn't hesitate to lay their lives down for me, I would be honored to do he same.
    I think that's a very admirable sentiment and I would do everything possible to save my dog because I love him. But I also love my husband, children, grandchildren, sisters etc. They have to come first even though it would tear my heart out to see my dog die.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I've been scuba diving up here on the north coast of Ca. in conditions that turned from fair to bad just in the time it took to burn a tank. (30-40 minutes) It's fine on the bottom but when you surface it can be very rough and it's like a relentless washing machine.
    Are you talking about the Shelter Cove area, or somewhere further north? There aren't too many spots safe for all-weather entry or exit, depending on the seasons.

If at SC, then I'm assuming you went for the abalone.

Yeah, getting "trashed" when attempting to exit isn't any fun. BTDT, back in the day, when bodysurfing at some wicked breaks that took no prisoners. Had to be amazingly fit, strong and daft, as well as having full use of the fins (as opposed to having just had them get ripped off the feet) in order to have a prayer of getting out in one piece. Fun on the waves, but getting back to the beach could be brutal. I'm sure I still have some scarring from some of the worst days, from the sand enemas to the Brillo-bottom-bounce action. I still shiver a bit thinking of some of those days ...
    mprp likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links