Crossbow vs Compound

This is a discussion on Crossbow vs Compound within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm Once again, you are projecting. Sure, I make it as challenging as possible. I do it for the enjoyment and the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Crossbow vs Compound

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Once again, you are projecting. Sure, I make it as challenging as possible. I do it for the enjoyment and the meat. I don't harvest deer, that's what you do with crops. I kill them. Whether it be a recurve, compound or handgun.

I am not confused about issues like life and death of animals and how they live or die. Do I want to see an animal suffer? No, I don't. But, I have no problem with killing them for food, and if it gives me good challenge in the process, so much the better.

But heres the answer to your question; with my compound bow, at a clear high percentage unobstructed shot, my max is 50 yards, however my self limited shot on a live animal is 30 yards.

With a recurve, I am good at 25 yards on targets, but limit myself to high percentage shots on live game at 10 - 15 max.

My longest handgun kill was at a Blue Wilderbeast in SA at somewhere between 110 and 125 yards, open sights, 4 and 3/4 inch barrel, 41 magnum with my handloads.

With a six inch barrel s&w 44 mag and six inch barrel and my handloads, I would not hesitate to drop the hammer on live game out to 150 yards with open sights, and a good rest.

And, I'll bet my freezer is fuller than yours with game:)
    How do you determine these distances in the field?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    How do you determine these distances in the field?
    I had a guide with a laser rangefinder in SA.

But when hunting on my own, I estimate it. I am very good at range estimation. I use what is called the " bracketing method", as taught to me in the Marines. One of the most useful field skills I have learned. You can break down a kilometer by counting football fields, or, a football field by counting 10 yards.
    Not precise, but very very close when you get the hang of it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Another thing I do, is if stand hunting, I will find a leaf that stands out, or object, and fling a spare arrow with a field tip on it occasionally just to check my estimation perception.
    These arrows in the ground can later be markers for my shots.

With a handgun, range precision is not as critical. An error in 15-20 yards still puts me in the kill zone.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If hunting were only about meat in the freezer, the grocery store is a lot closer and cheaper than hunting. If you don't know what it's really about, explaining it probably wouldn't help. You either get it, or you don't.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That's what most archery hunters do. They estimate it. I take you on your word that you are very good at it.

However, most hunters are TERRIBLE at estimating. It is very critical to know distance, as I'm sure you'd agree that 'arrow drop' must be factored in especially at a shot of 50 yards. (that's a long shot)
    Distance becomes an important part of the equation. My experience has shown me that most archery hunters have no idea about distance or calculating arrow drop.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If hunting were only about meat in the freezer, the grocery store is a lot closer and cheaper than hunting. If you don't know what it's really about, explaining it probably wouldn't help. You either get it, or you don't.
    Maybe I have issues:) I can't keep myself out of the woods. Attempting to hunt things down in the woods is my cocaine:) I'm addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Another thing I do, is if stand hunting, I will find a leaf that stands out, or object, and fling a spare arrow with a field tip on it occasionally just to check my estimation perception.
    These arrows in the ground can later be markers for my shots.

With a handgun, range precision is not as critical. An error in 15-20 yards still puts me in the kill zone.
    Exactly what I do.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Remember that excitement the first time you had sex, that "Oh Boy!" feeling that only comes once? Deer give me that same excitement every time! I'm a chronic sufferer of buck fever. Only old age and ailments took away that joy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    That's what most archery hunters do. They estimate it. I take you on your word that you are very good at it.

However, most hunters are TERRIBLE at estimating. It is very critical to know distance, as I'm sure you'd agree that 'arrow drop' must be factored in especially at a shot of 50 yards. (that's a long shot)
    Distance becomes an important part of the equation. My experience has shown me that most archery hunters have no idea about distance or calculating arrow drop.
    I do agree with that, but I would not day bowhunters are yahoos because of it. There are nuances to it like any other discipline. Know your equipment and your own limitations.
    But those things don't come with reading magazines and inet chatter. People have to get out there and practically try. Now, unfortunately this results in some bad judgement and just downright poor skill, and some animals are hurt or mamed in the process. We make mistakes too.

However, I am glad to know that there are still people interested in hunting and participate in it.
    The damage overall to wildlife would be far greater without the support of hunters and the benefit of the fees and taxes they pay to maintain their habitat.

I have probably killed 40 deer with a bow, and lost 3. It was a gut wrenching experience, but it's part of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Remember that excitement the first time you had sex, that "Oh Boy!" feeling that only comes once? Deer give me that same excitement every time! I'm a chronic sufferer of buck fever. Only old age and ailments took away that joy.
    Fortunately, I still get that. But I know the day will come when I will no longer be able or feel like doing it. But so far, I am keeping the Grimm reaper gasping to catch his breath keeping up with me, lol.

But, that's what it's about. Building memories to look back on, share with younger people and enjoy for life.

OP, pick which ever. To me, the crossbow is much like a rifle with archery limitations. I prefer the bow, but everyone is different.

images.jpg

Can we get back on topic? I actually want to learn about the pros and cons of crossbows.
    Molon Labe

Re: Crossbow vs Compound

I am addicted to bow hunting. I've been a loyal Hoyt compound man for years. This year I decided to give the crossbow a try and picked up a Barnette Buck Commander. I really like this crossbow. I'm still a compound guy tho. But it is nice to have options to hunt a couple of my rifle blinds with a crossbow since you can't draw a compound inside them.

Wow.
    So, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Thanks for the few suggestions. If est distance is the true perishable skill, I might be okay. Did it for years when calling for fire.
    Truthfully, size and noise are a big concern or me on the Xbow. But, darned if I don't like their mechanics. Gonna visit a local archery shop to see if they'll let me try em both.

Caliber wars with sticks and strings...

It was fun to watch...

I think it comes down to this:

"A man's got to know his limitations."
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links