Crossbow vs Compound

This is a discussion on Crossbow vs Compound within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm I can't cut and paste on this phone, but what you say about bow hunters applys to gun hunters also. How ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Crossbow vs Compound

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I can't cut and paste on this phone, but what you say about bow hunters applys to gun hunters also. How often I have I seen a greenhorn with a big magnum cartridge and scope that looks like the Hubble Telescopes little sister mounted on it shoot a deer in the gut or arse because he is 1) afraid of the recoil, or 2) cant make out the deer in the scope because of too high magnification, or 3) just can't shoot.

It's not the equipments fault, it's the application of it. I will guarantee my 45 pound recurve, heavier wooden arrows, and cut to the tip 125 grain Zwickey broadheads have more punch than a compound shooting light tackle at high speed for heavy game like bear or elk.

But the light stuff is better suited for deer. It's about application, and expertise with it.
    In bold, that's it right there. ^

I know guys that hunt hogs with dogs and knives for sport / meat on the table and I'm willing to bet that their range isn't all that far. It's not for me but that's what they do. Some hunt with bows, rifles, crossbows etc. by choice of style and how they like to pursue the sport. Some people harvest corn with john deere combines which would arguably be the "best" way but I do it by hand in the garden. (Not that I could afford one of those anyway) Sig, it seems like you're taking the stance of asking why would some people hunt animals unless it's the best way to do it but I see it as there are a lot of effective ways to hunt and no matter which one is chosen, the hunter should be, or at least strive to be good enough to be able to do it as humanely as possible so I do agree with you there.

I've seen where people stuck hogs and deer and they don't get far at all and there has been ONE time that I shot a hog at about 5-7 yards on a run with a .30-06 and never found him. (too danged high and forward on the shoulder ) Very bad application of my equipment. But it bugged me enough to shoot him around noon and track him until almost midnight by the worlds smallest and scattered blood trail. I hate when that happens and am glad that it's only happened to me one time. I hunt for the meat AND the excitement and although I know that a rifle will open up the hunt to longer ranges, there is a certain level of satisfaction for instance, knowing that you did it with a bow vs. rifle, or handload vs. factory. It is a sport; a sport with perks having meat on the table when successful. I guess if it wasn't a sport then they shouldn't have named the entity that regulates it the Dept. of Fish and Game.

As for the OP, I haven't hunted with a crossbow but have shot them so I myself would tend to lean toward a bow. I haven't done it for quite some time but have hunted with bows and love it. I've thought about getting another one too and would most likely go with a compound, probably a PSE derivative. And with my bow skills, I probably wouldn't release at anything much farther than 25 - 30 yards. I'm pretty rusty, it's been a while and I hate tracking game in to the night but will do it if I have to. I do know that shooting a bow is like ham radio, pistol or rifle shooting, reloading etc.. It can be endless as to the number of necessories that can lead to spending big bucks.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I would think that for larger, heavier animals the full sized arrow of the compound bow might be heavier and therefore give better penetration. I prefer my Martin recurve shot instinctively and have no experience with crossbows. How do the bolts compare in weight with a typical full-length arrow? Anyone know?

So, my internal debate is over. I spent some time researching, talking with experienced archers and finally went to my local dealer and shot a bunch of different bows. I decided to go with a compound. The Matthew's Heli-M to be exact. Got a great deal on it and the complete lack of any vibration sold me quickly. Plus, (pure luck on this), but the third arrow I shot hit the first arrow in the target. Never mind I wasn't aiming at it (bow didn't have sights on it yet anyway).
    Unfortunately, I have a 30" draw, so I have to wait for mine to be shipped in. After that- practice, practice and then more meat on the table.
    Thanks!
    mprp and lokin4deer like this.

VIP Member
    I hope you enjoy it. I am going to get a crossbow for next year's hunting. Deer gun season here is only a week long and I frequently have client committments that keep me out of the field for that week. Bow season is from September to February and we can get 5 does and a buck or 6 does, but the does are out of season by gun season. Also, it is warmer at the start of bow season than it is for gun season and the deer have had less pressure.

I am going with the crossbow because my shoulder can pull back the string, but I cannot hold a compound out while pulling back with the other hand due to an injury. For those looking to know more about crossbows, I have found Crossbow Forums | Videos | Blogs | Articles and more! to be useful. It is much like this forum, but with a different subject.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    So, my internal debate is over. I spent some time researching, talking with experienced archers and finally went to my local dealer and shot a bunch of different bows. I decided to go with a compound. The Matthew's Heli-M to be exact. Got a great deal on it and the complete lack of any vibration sold me quickly. Plus, (pure luck on this), but the third arrow I shot hit the first arrow in the target. Never mind I wasn't aiming at it (bow didn't have sights on it yet anyway).
    Unfortunately, I have a 30" draw, so I have to wait for mine to be shipped in. After that- practice, practice and then more meat on the table.
    Thanks!
    Check out the message board on the Mathews site they are a great bunch of very knowledgable guys there and congrats on the new bow. "Catch us if you can"

2xR

Crossbow vs Compound

Great choice to go with a compound over CXBow. Sorry to hear you chose a SOsLOw camed bow but to each his own. Go to a board that welcomes and discusses all brands/models like http://www.archeryaddix.com/forums if you want to really gain knowledge of ALL compound bows!

Sent from my iPhone 5 - using Tapatalk.

[QUOTE=2xR;2471089]Great choice to go with a compound over CXBow. Sorry to hear you chose a SOsLOw camed bow but to each his own. Go to a board that welcomes and discusses all brands/models like Archery Addix Forums if you want to really gain knowledge of ALL compound bows!

Thanks, I'll check out the site.
    Was fully aware of the lower speed on the Heli-m, but considering how forgiving it was and the fact that I'd rather be accurate (hence the forgiving nature of the bow) and slower than faster and inaccurate, I went with this one. I almost went with the PSE, but it just didn't have the same feel for me the Mathews did.
    Course, there's a reason I own multiple 45 ACP's, and only two 9mm...

2xR

Crossbow vs Compound

[QUOTE=pscipio03;2471114]
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xR View Post
    Great choice to go with a compound over CXBow. Sorry to hear you chose a SOsLOw camed bow but to each his own. Go to a board that welcomes and discusses all brands/models like Archery Addix Forums if you want to really gain knowledge of ALL compound bows!

Thanks, I'll check out the site.
    Was fully aware of the lower speed on the Heli-m, but considering how forgiving it was and the fact that I'd rather be accurate (hence the forgiving nature of the bow) and slower than faster and inaccurate, I went with this one. I almost went with the PSE, but it just didn't have the same feel for me the Mathews did.
    Course, there's a reason I own multiple 45 ACP's, and only two 9mm...
    Archery like guns is all about personal feel! Though the Prophecy from PSE would have been my choice! LOL

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    How do you determine these distances in the field?
    When hunting from a tree stand I measure prominent objects with a laser. I measure 20, 30,40 and 50 yard discernible land marks. Then after knowing my area I feel confident in a shot on game out to 40 yards. I sometimes feel that it's easier to set up a little farther from a trail (30 to 35 yds) and take a longer shot than it is to be right on top of the deer. They are usually more calm, it seems.

If its sport you're looking for buy a recurve bow! When I was 13 I found a recurve bow and it was left handed! So it fit me perfectly. I practiced almost every day for most of the summer, at the end of summer I could sit a gallon jug on a fence post and hit it from 40 yards away, that's what I enjoyed the most of all, the fact that I picked up a stick with a string that shoots another stick and I could kill an animal with it. Something about the pure human instincts makes that the most rewarding thing about hunting
    glockman10mm likes this.

2xR, upon further checking, I actually ended up with the Creed, not the Heli-M. Any big difference? I shot them both, and slapped down the one that just felt the best to me. Was thinking it was the Heli-M at first, but nope, Creed.

Just got out of the stand a few hours ago, compound all the way. Good choice. Because of an injury I am also eligible in my state for a crossbow. I'm just not ready yet. I have figured out a way to draw with my shoulder and it's perfectly comfortable (although it would look funny to another archer! I just have an odd form to reach full draw.) I just like the challenge of the compound, that's all. Just 2 days ago I had a nice doe at 25 yards, she stepped behind a tree giving me the opportunity to draw but then she waited too long to step into my shooting lane. By the time she did I couldn't make a clean shot. I tried to get the sights steady on the vitals but I had been holding the draw so long I just couldn't be comfortable that I would make a clean shot, even at 25 yards. I let the draw down easy and watched her walk away. You know what, it felt good, I knew I had done the right thing. That's what I would miss if using a crossbow. Getting the bow drawn is part of the hunt, not with a crossbow. Nothing against the guys who use them, it's just not for me.

I can't let the rifle thing go, either. I am with glockman 110%. Tomorrow shotgun season opens and I will guarantee you I will see plenty of wounded deer. Almost every year I find one dead in my woods that somebody wounded and just gave up on. To say archers are unethical hunters wrong. A certain percentage of people in general are just idiots, some of them shoot bows, some shoot rifle, some shotgun, etc. I think that's the real issue here.

I personally don't see the fun in dropping an animal at 100+ yards, it just seems so easy. I like the challenge of getting the animal within 20 yards, and all the things that go with it, the camo, the wind, all the things I cuss when it goes wrong! When it's all done, that's what makes it fun.

2xR

Crossbow vs Compound

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    2xR, upon further checking, I actually ended up with the Creed, not the Heli-M. Any big difference? I shot them both, and slapped down the one that just felt the best to me. Was thinking it was the Heli-M at first, but nope, Creed.
    A tad heavier 3.85 vs 3.5# and a touch slower 328fps IBO vs 332fps IBO but a smoother (more linear draw cycle), and better valley and back wall IMHO. And since it is the newest model, better resale when you figure out exactly what you like/want in a bow and decide to sell it!

Administrator
    A well placed, properly tipped arrow by a qualified hunter is a swift and humane kill. End of story.
    Back on topic.
    varob likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    WOW. Lots of misconsceptions here...mostly by people that have never done it.

I have killed lots of deer with a bow. Some stories...

I used to get laughed at by one of my bow hunting buddies because I had a 20,30,40,50,60 and even a 70 yard pin. Thats right, I used to shoot at a deer silhouette at 70 yards and was able to put it in the kill zone...everytime. Not some of the time. Everytime.
    You'll never be able to use it he said. You can get 70 yards in the woods, its not clear enough. Too much stuff in the way...yada yada yada.

Until I shot one right through the heart...at 62 yards. An nice 8 point. That shut him up. If I had thought for a second that I could not make the shot, I would not have attempted it. The number of shots I didn't take probably exceeds the number that I did take.

I once whacked a another good deer point at 18 yards...this one a 10 point. It sounded like he got slapped with a 2x4. He jumped...looked around....and start grazing again. I had renocked, come to a draw and was about to put another in him...and then he started wobbling. I held off. In a few minutes he layed down and that was the end of that. I honestly dont think he had a clue.

One time a I shot another deer, a fair 8 point, the arrow passing through and stopping on the ground, buried about half deep. I was shooting 93 lbs...the arrows never even once stopped on any deer that I shot. That deer very casually walked over to the arrow stuck in the ground, started sniffing it, and then started licking it. In a few minutes it just layed down and that was the end of that.

One of the deer on the wall...looked right up at me. I'm about 15' up in a tree, this deer walks up and stops and looks right at me. I was in a thicket, and heard him coming. I was already at a full draw when he stopped. I let loose, the arrow hitting him square between the eyes, traveling through the neck, and exiting directly underneath the deer. The deer tried to jump, couldnt do it, landed on top of the arrow stuck in the ground, broke it half off, and quivered until it stopped moving. The whole thing lasted maybe 15 seconds.

I've got lots of stories. When I hear of someone telling me how cruel and inhumane it is, I dont say much because I already know that they have no clue of what they rant about and nothing I can say will change their mind.

It is a challenge, and shooting one with a gun when has killed dozens with a bow is sort of anti climatic.

Its about disipline. Skill. Knowing ones limitations. Having enough respect for the game to make the kill as quickly and painlessy as possible.

I dont expect most to be able to grasp those concepts, but for those that do...those that understand what I am talking about, I have the utmost respect.
    Everyone else...I just dont waste much time trying to explain.
    luvmy40 and gasmitty like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links