Crossbow vs Compound - Page 4

Crossbow vs Compound

This is a discussion on Crossbow vs Compound within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Oh yeah...I forgot to add.. if you want to use a crossbow...use a crossbow. I hold no ill will towards crossbow users. It just another ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Crossbow vs Compound

Senior Moderator
    Oh yeah...I forgot to add..

if you want to use a crossbow...use a crossbow.

I hold no ill will towards crossbow users. It just another tool to use...nothing more or nothing less.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    WOW. Lots of misconsceptions here...mostly by people that have never done it.

I have killed lots of deer with a bow. Some stories...

I used to get laughed at by one of my bow hunting buddies because I had a 20,30,40,50,60 and even a 70 yard pin. Thats right, I used to shoot at a deer silhouette at 70 yards and was able to put it in the kill zone...everytime. Not some of the time. Everytime.
    You'll never be able to use it he said. You can get 70 yards in the woods, its not clear enough. Too much stuff in the way...yada yada yada.

Until I shot one right through the heart...at 62 yards. An nice 8 point. That shut him up. If I had thought for a second that I could not make the shot, I would not have attempted it. The number of shots I didn't take probably exceeds the number that I did take.

I once whacked a another good deer point at 18 yards...this one a 10 point. It sounded like he got slapped with a 2x4. He jumped...looked around....and start grazing again. I had renocked, come to a draw and was about to put another in him...and then he started wobbling. I held off. In a few minutes he layed down and that was the end of that. I honestly dont think he had a clue.

One time a I shot another deer, a fair 8 point, the arrow passing through and stopping on the ground, buried about half deep. I was shooting 93 lbs...the arrows never even once stopped on any deer that I shot. That deer very casually walked over to the arrow stuck in the ground, started sniffing it, and then started licking it. In a few minutes it just layed down and that was the end of that.

One of the deer on the wall...looked right up at me. I'm about 15' up in a tree, this deer walks up and stops and looks right at me. I was in a thicket, and heard him coming. I was already at a full draw when he stopped. I let loose, the arrow hitting him square between the eyes, traveling through the neck, and exiting directly underneath the deer. The deer tried to jump, couldnt do it, landed on top of the arrow stuck in the ground, broke it half off, and quivered until it stopped moving. The whole thing lasted maybe 15 seconds.

I've got lots of stories. When I hear of someone telling me how cruel and inhumane it is, I dont say much because I already know that they have no clue of what they rant about and nothing I can say will change their mind.

It is a challenge, and shooting one with a gun when has killed dozens with a bow is sort of anti climatic.

Its about disipline. Skill. Knowing ones limitations. Having enough respect for the game to make the kill as quickly and painlessy as possible.

I dont expect most to be able to grasp those concepts, but for those that do...those that understand what I am talking about, I have the utmost respect.
    Everyone else...I just dont waste much time trying to explain.
    I agree with everything you say. I was the second post on this thread and when I checked it again I knew I wanted no part of it. So I stayed out of it. And I will say it again I dont care what kind of a weapon anyone uses as long as it is legal in your state. If it gets you in the woods I am all for it!!

2xR

Crossbow vs Compound

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    WOW. Lots of misconsceptions here...mostly by people that have never done it...

One of the deer on the wall...looked right up at me. I'm about 15' up in a tree, this deer walks up and stops and looks right at me. I was in a thicket, and heard him coming. I was already at a full draw when he stopped. I let loose, the arrow hitting him square between the eyes, traveling through the neck, and exiting directly underneath the deer. The deer tried to jump, couldnt do it, landed on top of the arrow stuck in the ground, broke it half off, and quivered until it stopped moving. The whole thing lasted maybe 15 seconds.
    I guess I applaud the fact you felt confident enough in your ability to take a shot at a deer facing directly at you between the eyes, I think? Certainly not a shot 99% of most bow hunters would have taken ethically...

Sent from my iPhone 5 - using Tapatalk.

Senior Moderator
    Ever see a deer do a 180 degree turn in the air ? I have. Shooting at one like that is a low percentage shot.

Certainly not a shot 99% of most bow hunters would have taken ethically...
    99% of bowhunters arent like me. I was shooting around 75 shots a day, several months before the season with a compound bow that only 2 other people that I knew of could even draw.

As for "ethical" for some taking a 10 yard shot isnt ethical. For others a 60 yard shot may be.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2xR

Crossbow vs Compound

Like I said - I think I applaud your confidence...

My current bow draws 103.1# and I can draw/shoot it sitting on the ground on my butt with legs straight out in front of me! I know I have more than enough KE to break the skull or any other bone/joint I hit with my 670 gr arrow - but I wouldn't take that shot!

So, again, I say I applaud your confidence in taking that shot...

Sent from my iPhone 5 - using Tapatalk.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links