GM to open factory in China

This is a discussion on GM to open factory in China within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is this how GM pays back America for the bail out? They're opening a new Factory in China! It's not just GM. Many big corporations ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: GM to open factory in China

Is this how GM pays back America for the bail out? They're opening a new Factory in China!

It's not just GM. Many big corporations moved their facilities over seas and is killing us. Wealthy investors also gaining tax free accounts over seas have moved huge amounts of money out of the country.

After they make huge profits and acquire massive amounts of money they then take it away from the country that gave them the opportunity. The 'new world capitalist' doesn't care about the goose that laid the golden egg. They go where ever the money is and have no loyalty.

GM to build third factory complex in China - SFGate
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

I think it will really hit the fan if they try to import any of those vehicles into the U.S., or Canada.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Unfortunately, High Pockets, I doubt it will. Just like Wal-Fart thrives here with all of the Chinese made things (as many other stores and countries as well). People, the "little" people, are more concerned with prices in their day to day than the global or even national impact. Not everyone is willing to pay a little more for American.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    We'll just even the score by building Toyota, BMW and various other "foreign" car factories here in the US.
    msgt/ret and Good Old Joe like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Wealthy investors also gaining tax free accounts over seas have moved huge amounts of money out of the country.

After they make huge profits and acquire massive amounts of money they then take it away from the country that gave them the opportunity. The 'new world capitalist' doesn't care about the goose that laid the golden egg. They go where ever the money is and have no loyalty.
    GM to build third factory complex in China - SFGate
    That's because of the screw the rich taxation ides being thrown around on the hill. If you made a bunch of dough being an innovator/entrepreneur or with just plain hard work would you want to give half of it away to a bunch of lazy folks wanting a free hand out? I know I wouldn't. I'd be living out my American dream some place that didn't want to screw me.

Let's remember something, most of these people created their wealth by earning it. They don't owe you or me a dime and they damn sure don't deserve to be punished for their success.

For every person that gets something they didn't earn there is someone who earned something they didn't get.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Is this how GM pays back America for the bail out? They're opening a new Factory in China!

It's not just GM. Many big corporations moved their facilities over seas and is killing us....

Can't blame companies for going where it makes the most business sense (i.e., cheaper operating & manufacturing costs). Last time I checked, I thought this type of freedom was a bulwark of the ideals of Capitalism.
    Rock and Glock and Bish like this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Senior Moderator
    It's a global economy and a global marketplace, if you want to help the citizens of the United States shop locally owned stores, pay more for American made products or fair trade products (to eliminate sweatshops).

Don't complain about things made in China and then by Chinese products. Money talks, and if we started only buying products made locally there would be more locally made products.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    It's a global economy and a global marketplace, if you want to help the citizens of the United States shop locally owned stores, pay more for American made products or fair trade products (to eliminate sweatshops).

Don't complain about things made in China and then by Chinese products. Money talks, and if we started only buying products made locally there would be more locally made products.
    Except that we sold most of the tooling to the Chinese and others.... now we'd have to rebuild the manufacturing capability.

In many ways I'm for complete isolationism... but we haven't the will for it.
    RichB70 likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    We'll just even the score by building Toyota, BMW and various other "foreign" car factories here in the US.
    Yep. As a friend says, "depends on if you want your purchase to support the American blue collar guys putting together the foreign cars on our soil, or if you want to support the white collar folks overseeing American cars being made in Canada and Mexico."

If they are marketing the Chinese made cars to China, whats the big deal? Maybe they can repay their bail-out money back to the US government quicker with increased profits from having a larger global market. (I'm not holding my breath on that one. But kudos to Chrysler/Fiat for paying back ahead of schedule!)

IMHO-Blame UAW for a large part of the shifts of American cars being made in other countries.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Administrator

Your Tax Dollars Hard At Work For You.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Except that we sold most of the tooling to the Chinese and others.... now we'd have to rebuild the manufacturing capability.
    Or the Chinese flat out stole it from us. The have no qualms about piracy, copyright infringement or stealing technology. They lie, cheat and steal while pretending to be our "friends". We're absolutely crazy to be dealing with the Chinese and some day it will come back to bite us in a big way.

I admit though, it's very hard to buy things nowdays that aren't made in China. I try to buy American whenever I can...which isn't often. I did buy my son a pair of Woolrich wool outdoor socks the other day and was shocked to see the "Made in America" label.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Let's fix some common misconception:

Generally, individual US taxpayers pay US tax on their worldwide income every year just like anyone else. There are some exceptions, but that is a general rule. So if Sixto makes $1,000 in China he pays the same US tax on that $1,000 as he pays on $1,000 earned in the USA. I have several "expatriate" taxpayer clients and they all follow this regime. There are a few twists and turns here, such as foreign tax credits and the foreign earned income exclusion, but the general rule is simple. Also note they, for the most part, also pay foreign taxes on said earnings.

Corporations, say GM, are a wee bit different. The general rule is that their Foreign Source Income is subject to US tax when it is repatriated (brought home to the US). In the meantime however, they still may owe foreign tax on the income, but if they reinvest their earnings outside the US there is no US tax on those earnings.

So..........the "painting" of "wealthy evil taxpayers expatriating $$ to cheat the IRS" is generally totally incorrect and generally factually wrong, but it is expedient for political purposes.

I think GM wants a market position in China, and thus is opening Chinese factories to make cars to sell to the Chinese. I would also guess those cars would never qualify for import to the USA for numerous reasons. I would also guess those cars could not be manufactured in the USA and then shipped to China and maintain their competitive position on Chinese showroom floors. Just economics.

I do agree the Chinese has stolen many industrial secrets from the US, US Companies, and others on a worldwide basis. I also agree they may compete unfairly.
    gasmitty likes this.

Saw a car program that showed china made BMW,merc,jag,ect all with diff names and Chinese gov threw out car makers case.Said no evidence of any infringement.Cars were identical looking except for badging and of course performance.Its not a global economy or free trade if only one side is playing by the rules.Has gm really made anything worth driving in the last 20 years anyway?On a side note,not everyone wants to tax the rich so to speak.But when an avg joe pays 35% of income in taxes and John q Richman pays less than 10 I can understand the irritation.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Your average Chinese wage worker cant afford a car.

Your average Chinese wage worker cant afford a car.
    Then I guess GM is foolish for building a factory there.
    Drgnfly likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links