AAFES (military exchange store) "Bait & Switch"

This is a discussion on AAFES (military exchange store) "Bait & Switch" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Black Friday "bait and switch" - AAFES advertised "online only" sale of Casio watch PAW-1100 for $99.95 (50% off $199). Amazon sells it for $189 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: AAFES (military exchange store) "Bait & Switch"

AAFES (military exchange store) "Bait & Switch"

Black Friday "bait and switch" - AAFES advertised "online only" sale of Casio watch PAW-1100 for $99.95 (50% off $199). Amazon sells it for $189 and can be found on eBay for around $150. I went on aafes.com and ordered 2 of them, but got a Casio PAG-80, which is a less expensive version of this watch that Amazon sells for $105 and can be found on eBay for less than $80 new. The item was ONLY available during Black Friday.

After calling customer service (worthless)...my options? - Take to Ft Bragg (2 hours away) or mail it back for a refund. It was AAFES' mistake; they should be the ones jumping through hoops to make this right for me, not the other way around.

False advertisement, poor customer service and unable to compete with other online stores (e.g. amazon). No wonder they just lost another customer. I'm convinced that they have hired a bunch of incompetent and inexperienced people in recent years.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

2. Remove Ads

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    It IS the Exchange........
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sorry
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I find better deals on Craigslist and Walmart than shopping at the BX here in San Antonio. It is not like the good old days when there were true savings. Lowes and Home Depot give off 10 percent to vets so that offsets the tax difference and a bit more.

Sorry about your situation
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Sponsor
    I haven't found AAFES to be very good for pricing unless you are buying a high value item and can save on the sales tax. I'm sorry to hear about your experience! I agree that hey should pay for shipping to send it back. You might consider filing a claim with your credit card company, I think that kind of thing would be covered (you didn't receive what you had ordered), maybe if you tell the exchange that you are considering calling your credit card company they will reconsider.

Good luck!
    Clay
    boricua likes this.
    The Most Advanced Hybrid Holsters- Custom Formed for over 200 guns! 30 Day Money Back Guarantee, Lifetime Warranty
    www.shtfgear.com

www.facebook.com/shtf.gear

Glock 42 Holsters now shipping! www.shtfgear.com/ACE-1-GLOCK-42
    XDs 4.0 Holsters now shipping! www.shtfgear.com/ACE-1-SPR-XDS-4

Distinguished Member
    That is an outrageous thing for AAFES to do and borders on a scam.

They should send you the correct watch that you ordered - the PAW 1100, NOT just give you a refund! If it was advertised as such then they are bound by law to sell it for that. False advertising and "bait and switch' are against the Consumer Protection law.
    Did you call the manager? Tell them you're going to call the Consumer Protection Agency and/or the Attorney General's office in your state.

I hate it when stores try to cheat customers.
    Last edited by Jeanlouise; November 29th, 2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: to add more outrage
    goldshellback likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    That is an outrageous thing for AAFES to do and borders on a scam.

They should send you the correct watch that you ordered - the PAW 1100, NOT just give you a refund! If it was advertised as such then they are bound by law to sell it for that. False advertising and "bait and switch' are against the Consumer Protection law.
    Did you call the manager? Tell them you're going to call the Consumer Protection Agency and/or the Attorney General's office in your state.

I hate it when stores try to cheat customers.
    Today, I decided to send an email directly to their HQ in Dallas. Let's see what happens.
    Jeanlouise and atctimmy like this.
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Sort of like ordering a BMW and getting a Chevrolet instead.

Hopefully HQ will make it right. Though, if there aren't any more in inventory, then I'd expect a refund and not the product you wanted.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    When I enlisted in the AF in 1960, the Exchange was a place to save money, with prices 15-25% cheaper than off base. Now they are often more expensive than off base. The last 3 guns that I bought were priced at least $100 more at the exchange than where I bought them at my LGS. Today's military has to really compare prices...not like we used to do.
    goldshellback likes this.

The exchange anymore is just a rip off. When I was still in MOS school, the only reason I bought ANYTHING at the PX was because I didn't have a car and it was easier to walk the 5 minutes to the PX than find somebody's car to borrow and drive into town.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    There are savings to be had there stil, but you have to shop around. I will say the commissary is STLL a better deal when grocery shopping, but the exchange dosn't 'share' the same 'savings plan'.
    lchamp likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Now, don't get me wrong. The watch that they sent me is a very nice watch, actually identical to the one they offered on Black Friday, with the main difference being the one they advertised had the automatic daily Atomic time update. But, what I paid for it is not really a deal. I can't trust AAFES any more. In contrast, I have never had any issues buying from amazon.com, and their customer service is top notch.

Class VI. That's the only place to save $ on base anymore. AAFES and NES used to be great savings. I stopped ordering through them years ago when Amazon started to come around. Nowadays, no thanks.
    As for the bait and switch, I'd call that AAFES at Bragg and ask to talk with the general manager. He/she should be able to help get you in touch with the right people.

Lead Moderator
    Another problem with AAFES now is it's being run by civilians, like a chain store! (Used to have a Flag Officer in charge of running the system till a couple years ago.)

The Exchange at Ft. Meade used to be great, I loved the Class VI, it had things I couldn't get locally. They re-built it early this year and it now looks and contains the same thing as all the other AAFES outlets! The class VI is still worth it for the "common" stuff since Maryland upped the tax on any kind of booze to 9% from 6, and I HATE giving Maryland money.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member
    boricua, I hope you get it straightened out to your satisfaction. I can not get over the nerve of them to substitute a different item for what you ordered. I've seen companies offer an upgrade if they are out of the promised item but never a downgrade. Can you imagine Amazon doing something like this?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links