Stopping a bad guy with marijuana?

This is a discussion on Stopping a bad guy with marijuana? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ghost tracker Easiest solution just might be to decriminalize all substances (for adults), and then punish only criminal ACTIONS, without ever allowing ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Stopping a bad guy with marijuana?

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,777
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Easiest solution just might be to decriminalize all substances (for adults), and then punish only criminal ACTIONS, without ever allowing any lessening of punishment BECAUSE of the substance. Your choice, your action, your repercussions, NO EXCUSES.
    In principle, I'm all for this method.

    Trouble is, with many of the worst types of substances, usage causes so many problems. I'd fear an explosion in usage if essentially the price dramatically fell due to deregulation/decriminalization. Still, in many ways it's like firearms: it's the criminal usage/misbehavior that's ugly. So long as we take the shackles off people and DA's/LE for dealing with such actions, it might well be preferable to the current approach.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    VIP Member Array ghost tracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ky Backwoods
    Posts
    4,725
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    In principle, I'm all for this method.

    Trouble is, with many of the worst types of substances, usage causes so many problems. I'd fear an explosion in usage if essentially the price dramatically fell due to deregulation/decriminalization.
    As simply an exercise in "what if", part of what you say is exactly my point, if use of a particular substance causes "so many problems" then let the individual person who uses it...suffer ALL the problems. As thing are currently configured, it's society's resources & tax money that is "suffering" MORE than the individuals who make the decision to smoke, snort, drink or inject the substance(s). We've been fighting & funding an unsuccessful "War on Drugs" for 50 years & we're not ONE INCH closer to winning it. Rather than FIGHTING substance(s) that a percentage of the population obviously wants, let's (as a culture) redirect those vast resources to REWARD folks who choose NOT TO. And, because young people can then clearly see the difference, we don't have to "educate" them to the dangers. The dangers become clearly obvious. Your life will be rotten. Then why would they make that choice?

    As for deregulation/decriminalization creating a price drop and an "explosion in usage", I respectfully disagree. Folks who WANT it will break any law & pay any price to acquire the substance. Folks who don't want it, don't (IMHO) abstain because of laws or price. Do you believe people abstain from murder or rape because it's illegal, or because it's contrary to their internal moral compass? I don't stop at stop signs because it's illegal to go through them. I stop because going through them can/will get me KILLED!
    Chevy-SS likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

  4. #18
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,777
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    As simply an exercise in "what if", part of what you say is exactly my point, if use of a particular substance causes "so many problems" then let the individual person who uses it...suffer ALL the problems.
    Fine idea, if it would only work that way. The simple fact is, harder/addictive drugs have effects that aren't something others "let" happen. Rather, the addictions and effects of the substances themselves heap those effects on people and those around them. Fun, to play imaginary what-if, sure. It's not very realistic, as if negative effects could be wished away merely because of availability.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  5. #19
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,408
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    yeah, but most potheads aren't exactly what we'd call violent. Those stealing for drug money are junkies on things like meth, coke, heroin etc.
    You're living in a dream world. Plenty of people around here (Phoenix) stealing money for weed, just weed.

    One step further, you may find plenty of adults who enjoy their recreational doobies, but young kids - high school age well ino their 20s - do dope to get high. Doesn't matter what the dope is - meth, weed, LSD, spice, bath salts - it's all about getting high. Sadly, I am WAY too close to this situation and speak from close observation... and not just one kid that I'm calling "typical."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  6. #20
    Senior Member Array Chevy-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    As simply an exercise in "what if", part of what you say is exactly my point, if use of a particular substance causes "so many problems" then let the individual person who uses it...suffer ALL the problems. As thing are currently configured, it's society's resources & tax money that is "suffering" MORE than the individuals who make the decision to smoke, snort, drink or inject the substance(s). We've been fighting & funding an unsuccessful "War on Drugs" for 50 years & we're not ONE INCH closer to winning it. Rather than FIGHTING substance(s) that a percentage of the population obviously wants, let's (as a culture) redirect those vast resources to REWARD folks who choose NOT TO. And, because young people can then clearly see the difference, we don't have to "educate" them to the dangers. The dangers become clearly obvious. Your life will be rotten. Then why would they make that choice?

    As for deregulation/decriminalization creating a price drop and an "explosion in usage", I respectfully disagree. Folks who WANT it will break any law & pay any price to acquire the substance. Folks who don't want it, don't (IMHO) abstain because of laws or price. Do you believe people abstain from murder or rape because it's illegal, or because it's contrary to their internal moral compass? I don't stop at stop signs because it's illegal to go through them. I stop because going through them can/will get me KILLED!


    Great post. All common sense, and very true. Two thumbs up.

    The insane 'war on drugs' is probably one of the biggest CAUSES of crime. Exactly the same as the alcohol Prohibition.

    -
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

  7. #21
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    It's Illegal to possess Marijuana in most states,but I could see where throwing down a bag of weed to distract the BG while you either draw or Haul assky could work,downside is if you shoot the perp and LEO show up and see a bag of weed on the ground they will figure it's a drug transaction that went South
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

massad ayoob marijuana

Click on a term to search for related topics.