How do you feel about using an air rifle for big game animals?

This is a discussion on How do you feel about using an air rifle for big game animals? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is the webpage for the guy I mentioned above: Quackenbush Air Guns...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: How do you feel about using an air rifle for big game animals?

Here is the webpage for the guy I mentioned above: Quackenbush Air Guns
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    I am hoping my new Red Rider will show up under the tree in a few weeks. Paaaalesse Santa I need to get me a lion..

In all seriousness why would you want to take the risk of injuring an animal instead of killing it. I don't hunt for the thrill of confronting the "beast" I hunt to eat wild game.
    If you read up on the Rogue you'll see it has adequate stopping power for such game.

Most people don't object to bow hunting, and the Rogue seems to be just as lethal, if not more, than a bow.

Although it's not for me, I can understand the allure.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Here is the webpage for the guy I mentioned above: Quackenbush Air Guns
    "The LA Outlaw shoots a 430gr bullet at 732fps, which is 509fpe."

That will stop a lot of critters, big and small.

Brit hunter and Afrikkans guide. Been my experience when an Afrikkans hunting guide tells you something, you can usually count on it being right. This one suggested moving up in game size. That tells me this is a very effective air rifle up to the job.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I just watched a YouTube video about the rifle itself... He says it achieves almost 300 ft lbs of muzzle energy like that's impressive... My daily carry 9mm will do better than that.
    Benjamin Rogue .357 - The world's most powerful production air rifle - YouTube
    I guess this is a good thing when you live in a country that doesn't allow firearms.

I don't see a problem hunting big game with an air rifle. Just pump it up a few times more and use pellets instead of BBs.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    As long as it is powerfull enough to finish the job, go for it. I would make sure to bring a pistol for the coup de gras if necessary. I used to fish Yellowtail (40-80 Lbs) with a stiff ocean rod and 35 Lbs line, but after I got one for food I would get out a lightweight freshwater rig with 4 Lb line and fight them for a while. Lots of fun. I wasn't worried about being inhumane to the ones that got away, with fish.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I just watched a YouTube video about the rifle itself... He says it achieves almost 300 ft lbs of muzzle energy like that's impressive... My daily carry 9mm will do better than that.
    I guess this is a good thing when you live in a country that doesn't allow firearms.
    South Africa does allow firearms. You would be surprised at the guns owned. They are more restrictive, and it is more of a hassle, but I know of people who own Glocks, and virtually what we have.

Americans for the most part are an ignorant and arrogant people. We think we know it all, and have somehow cornered the market or written the book on some areas.
    Truth is, if we weren't so uppity, we could actually learn a few things from others.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I once had the pleasure(?) of firing both barrels of a custom .458 Win Mag double-barrel rifle. Believe me, hunting with smaller calibers took on a whole new light.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I guess if you can afford the novelty, GO for it.

I'm gonna keep doin' what I do, in the ways of getting game.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Be nice to see more weapons designed to be fired with air that's up to speed for defense. I would buy one.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    South Africa does allow firearms. You would be surprised at the guns owned. They are more restrictive, and it is more of a hassle, but I know of people who own Glocks, and virtually what we have.

Americans for the most part are an ignorant and arrogant people. We think we know it all, and have somehow cornered the market or written the book on some areas.
    Truth is, if we weren't so uppity, we could actually learn a few things from others.
    oh I know but I'm pretty sure in the video he said he was from the UK.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    but why when you have better choices and readily available? It's like riding a bicycle to your friend's house a mile down the road when you can drive a car instead. Both will do the job, but the latter is just more efficient and faster.
    You could say the same about bow hunters or handgun hunters.

As long as the hunter know the limits of their weapon and is responsible, I don't see anything wrong with it.

As far as wounding game, there's plenty of hunters that do that b/c they can't handle the recoil of the monster guns (and develop a flinch) they use for thin skinned game like deer, caribou, moose, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    i guess i'm gonna be hunting deer with my G19 next season then. LOL! . if that air rifle can do it, my G19 shouldn't have a problem if i do my part.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links