Dog Rules

This is a discussion on Dog Rules within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by iguanadon For those that haven't seen this site, and others like it... Quite hilarious. Dog Shame I love that site! Sooooo funny!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Dog Rules

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    For those that haven't seen this site, and others like it... Quite hilarious.

Dog Shame
    I love that site! Sooooo funny!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

My dogs..... think that's the normal progression involved in getting human's trained.

When one of them wanted to claim my pillow.... the line was drawn. Ok, now ... she has her own pillow.
    However, we had a discussion on who the 'alpha' was, and I won.... I think.

My daughter's dog would not stay in the crate when they were gone (short trips) .... so she tried putting her into the basement and shutting the door (leaving her down there while they were gone).
    When they came home..... they didn't have a basement door any longer and the dog was laying on the couch waiting for them to get home. Now, she's put into a special room ....
    with a steal door when they leave her at home.
    Jeanlouise and mprp like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have an "inherited" dog. She belonged to my wife and when we got married, the dog moved in with me along with my wife, so the dog "adopted" me.

At first she was a terror, she had never lived anyplace except her former home, and now suddenly was transpoted 500 miles away and a whole new house. She ravaged the place, chewed the metal door handles, literally, nearly off trying to get out. Her separation anxiety was on steroids to say the least. She clawed the door casings and the bottom of the door wanting out when we left for work.

I really did not know what to do. Nothing seemed to work to quell her anxiety. We had the "cage" and put her into it when we left, but she shredded her blanket and the newspapers we put into it with her. It took some time before she calmed down enough to be let loose in the house. Then, we bought our current home, and moved, again. Repeat the above process until she realized this was her home. She finally convinced me to allow her onto our bed when I got sick with the flu once. She leaped up on it an curled up beside of me, knowing somehow I was sick. That became her domain from then on until recently.

Now though she is old, we think 15 or 16 years old, we really do not know. She is growing feeble, can barely see and hear and we must put down puppy pads for her urinary problems. She won't navigate the steps to our bedroom and jump up on our bed anymore, she has taken control of the couch in the living room and made it her domain for the night. I have to get up occasionally and let her out, even though she has used the puppy pads and by that time, it's too late.

However, I love this dog. She has been my buddy and loves to still go for a walk. When she sees the lead or hears the metal clinking, she gets excited and knows we are going. I would clip on the holstered Ruger LCP just to be used to carrying and when she saw that, she associated it with a "walk" as well.

I know her days are numbered and it saddens me, but this is the cycle of life and one must accept it. I just pray she goes to sleep and never wakes up when it is her "time", that trip to the Vet for the last time will just rip my heart out. I will if I must, but not looking forward to that.

So, the Dog "rules" in many ways. Got to love them all.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

My brother has a weird household. He has a 5 bedroom home, 5 dogs and 5 cats. (My sister-in-law used to run the local animal shelter) The 5 dogs do not get along, so they each have their own room, 1 in each bedroom. All 5 bedroom doors have cat doors too small for the dogs (dogs all collie size), so the cats have the run of the house and can visit any of the dogs whenever they want. My SIL spends an hour a day with each animal, walks, and feeds, each dog separately. I don't know how long they can keep this up, but it has been this way several years now.

Yes, I know; my brother and sister-in-law have some serious mental issues, but they ARE family.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

The title of this thread is yet another grammatical error... that just sets off the Grammar NAZI in me...

It's not Dog Rules
    It's DOGS RULE!

everbody knows that... sheesh!

My dogs own me...I live in their house... they let me feed them... and they let me play with them, pet them, and otherwise cow tow their every whimsical need, desire, want, and wish... I am honored to be so lucky.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Our Shepard gets to sleep on my daughter bed only and isn't allowed on furniture. She does have the whole house to roam though. My last dog a golden retriever would stay on the couch while we were gone and sneak off to the floor as we got home.
    That's funny. My third Shepherd used to do the same thing. I'd come home and hear her collar jingling down the hallway and find a warm indented spot on my bed..hmmmm?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

My wife does not allow the dogs on the bed or furniture, guess what happens when she's not home?
    goldshellback likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I was sound asleep one night and my Wife socked me in the stomach for snoring and it was the doggone dog laying under the bed.

That's when I got her in the habit of sleeping in the hallway.
    She has a great set-up out there though in Winter there is a radiator right there and a bowl of fresh water plus her stupid slobber crusted stuffed animals which she thinks are her puppies for some bizarre reason. What dang dog thinks a stuffed lobster and a stuffed monkey and elephant are puppies?
    Her lobster is her favorite child. It smells like the zoo & it doesn't even remotely resemble any land mammal.
    The wife or the dog?
    goldshellback and JoJoGunn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    The wife or the dog?
    That's what I was thinking, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My Alpha Female dachshund has amended those rules as follows:

Rule # 12 - Dolly the Destroyer has proprietary rights over all cups of morning coffee left unattended for more than a micro-second.

Oh, and she (the evil queen) is more than willing to root under and share my covers with me....but the other dogs? Well, that is still in dispute resolution.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member
    Fitting topic for someone with the forum name of Bark'n!
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

LOL ... you guys did remind me, my daughter's GS .... could open the backyard gate. She opened it once and let my 2 dogs out, and as they ran off .... she stood there like " I didn't run did I ... I'm still right here " . I swear she was laughing and had a big smile on her face due to how she tricked them. She could open any doors. She would take the knob in her mouth and turn it until the door came open. That's why they tried to use a crate on her .... I've never seen a dog totally destroy a crate before. Wow... I was impressed. I kept the dog a lot of times, and she behaved perfectly over here (other than letting my 2 out of the backyard), so I think it was contest she was having with my daughter.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links