Time to replace the laptop - Page 2

Time to replace the laptop

This is a discussion on Time to replace the laptop within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have no experience with Google's Chrome OS computers but they are quite inexpensive and may be all you need. I'd do the research about ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Time to replace the laptop

VIP Member
    I have no experience with Google's Chrome OS computers but they are quite inexpensive and may be
    all you need. I'd do the research about it carefully. I think they can be had for around 200 -400 bucks depending
    on accessories. They are rather different from either a Mac or a Windows machine. Very pared down with all your
    storage in the cloud or a USB on some models (I think). I'm not making a recommendation, just a suggestion that they
    might be something worth looking at.

I think Apple products are out of your price range if you meant 500; not if you meant 1500.
    My son has had very good luck with his Mac Book Pro and with an earlier less expensive model, also a Mac Book -Air?

I have an iMac running OSX Lion which I have grown to rather detest. That said, I think I'm the only person
    I've ever heard of who didn't like a Mac.

I'm here using a 10 year old Dell running XP Pro. I wish Microsoft and others would just keep supporting
    this OS.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

HP's (I have 2, and have bought 2 as gifts) and Lenovos are my recommendation and I manage a client engineering group for a medium sized (30,000 employees) company and we use HP's there as well. I agree with folks here, Windows 8 stinks unless you have a touch capable PC, Windows 7 is what i plan on staying on as long as I can. I also run a Dell Mini that i reconfigured with Mac OS myself because i cant justify those Apple prices for their computers.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I have a nice little Dell Inspiron 1525. It was my dad's before he got a new one. He gave that one to me. I use it mostly for internet and music. My desktop is my gaming rig

I'd recommend any Toshiba's or Dell's. Stay away from the HP... I don't mind them, but will opt for something else given the choice. They are known for having issues. Laptops can be upgraded to an extent if you are into that thing. Not like a desktop though. For example, my dad gave me his older laptop (like within the last 4 years old) and I simply swapped out the insanely slow 5200rpm 3.5" hard drive with a new SSD , upgraded the memory from 1GB to 4GB, formatted the SSD, installed Windows 7 and for minimal deniro's, I have a near new laptop for a hair under $200.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I'm here using a 10 year old Dell running XP Pro. I wish Microsoft and others would just keep supporting
    this OS.
    I said the same thing and refused to try Windows 7. My wife at the time got it on her new tower, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Never looked back.

Thanks for all the info guys

Apple is out. There's no way I'm gonna dump 4 figures on electronics when I can dump, I mean, invest it in firearms

I've really gotten comfortable with Windows XP, so I'm not too keen on a new OS...

Not a hard core user, mostly web surfing, email, watching videos, email, etc. No gaming and very little photo editing. I believe that I can get away with 4 gigs of RAM, and I would rather go with Windows 7 than 8.

Alas, my old HP is giving me enough grief that I fear any upgrading would be a futile effort... I have been checking out HP laptops online, but they don't get very good reviews.

I'll check out HPs, Toshibas, and Dell. I've been seeing Lenovos, but never heard of them before this week.

I really hate having to get a new machine, working out all the bugs that I know I'm gonna have, pulling all my hair out making it communicate with my home network, etc. Seems like you just get something figured, and configured, how you want it; then it goes kaput.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    You can bet that you aren't going to find any newer laptops with less then Windows 7. If you buy a used one with XP, then there is no point in getting rid of yours as most older ones will function about the same as yours does now. Most current laptops have 8. I've tried it and I don't like it. That's just me though. Go for 7.

Windows 7 fundamentally runs the same as XP, but it's MUCH shinier and user friendly Starting next year, Microsoft AFAIK will not be supporting XP anymore. It may be time to check out Windows 7. I was in the same boat as you and went kicking and screaming to Windows 7. As it turned out though, I liked 7 much more then I ever liked XP.
    daveb413 and oneshot like this.

Lenovo is the old IBM ThinkPad brand after being bought by a Chinese company (Lenovo).

Quote Originally Posted by daveb413 View Post
    Lenovo is the old IBM ThinkPad brand after being bought by a Chinese company (Lenovo).
    Yes I have a Leveno and they IMO the best made PC on the market. I have one and it has never had an issue. It was not cheap ( well over 1k) and to be honest I use my MacBook far more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

if you go touchscreen go win8 if you go regular screen go with win 7 if you can still find them. (windows is pushing win8 like they invented fire)

if your budget is 500buck buy the biggest one you can get for 500 bucks. Computers go out of date so fast, when you do decided to buy a new one buy big, it will last so much longer, then a slower one.

intel is what i buy because its what i know. (amd rarely advertise the processor specks so i never learned amd very much. ) but really the only difference between amd and intel is the difference between ford and chevy its all personal preference.

so here the dig on intel. there newest chip set is there I series. I3 is there low grade/budget, I5 is there medium grade, I7 is there high end. (all these are quad core btw)
    all 3 run on a frequency measured in gigahertz. the higher the gigahertz the faster the processor. (you will see this listed as 2.4GHz or 1.4GHz......)

When information is processed by the processor it is stored in ram, Ram is just a place to store things that can be accessed super fast (much much much faster than the hard drive) the amount of info the ram can store is measured in gigabytes(GB), its speed is also measured in megahertz(MHz)(but unless your building your own computer you will more than likely never know the MHz of the ram.)

Hard drive is where all your movies, pictures, word documents, windows operation system, anything you put on the computer is stored, its measured in gigabytes/terabytes.

If i was buying a laptop my minimum I would buy is:

I3 running at least 2.0GHz
    2gigs of ram
    hard drive is up to you, if your going to be pirating a bunch of movies then 1TB, but if you are just going to be using for work, with only word documents 250GB, bunch of pics and music 250-500Gb. I would not get less than 250 gb. since the operation system takes up a few gigs.

The word on the street is STAY AWAY from acer, heard nothing but bad things about them.

Every computer i have built I put an asus motherboard in it, never a lick of problems, Asus has began to start building tablets and laptops, they come highly recommended. I just bought a asus laptop for my mother, and 2 asus tablets for myself and little girl. Love the brand.

Remember its Christmas time, find a huge deal and go big. don't just look for my minimum spects. GO BIG.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."Thomas Jefferson
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."Thomas Jefferson

MacBook Air can be had for around $1k. Refurbished, a little cheaper. Recommended.

I have 2 HPs, they are the best computers I have ever owned. Got mine from tigerdirect.com
    They usually have refurbished computers for sale as well, includes 2 year warranty! Check them out. I'm kind if a geek when it comes to this stuff. Make sure you get at least 2 or 3 gb of RAM and 250 gb of internal memory

VIP Member
    I use to have computer problems all the time...network problems...printing problems...problems with the desktop...problems with the laptop...crashes...data lose...router problems...problems and more problems. Thankfully my best friend is a professional computer wiz. Repairs never cost me more than a pizza, some beer and some time. I finally got fed up with all the down time. The problems and issues along with the frequency of their occurrence where driving me insane.

I ditched the PCs and bought Apples. Now, everything works. I've had a few minor issues over the years but nothing that I couldn't resolve on my own and within a few minutes and that is saying a lot since I am not the type of person who is good with computers. My Mac is worth every penny I paid and then some.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    I have always had good luck with HP laptops, never cared for Apple too pricey and too much of a cult following, you can always tell an Apple user they will tell you so in the first five minutes.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would reccomend a dell. I have had this one for the last 4 yrs and still ticking. Just picked up a sony ultra book for teaching and mac for personal use.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I think what you've been reading is that many of the manufacturers make good machines. Dell, hp, lanovo, etc are all good machines. They mostly use the same components from the same manufactures such as intel. They buy the same ram from the same manufacturers as well as the same bus. Open one up and they all look similar, including apple.

There are a few determining factors in your decision - OS from apple or windows or google (or Linux). Touch or non-touch and lastly size of the machine at 13 or 15" (17" is out of your price range and in my opinion not a laptop but a portable desk top). After those it's about ram and hard drive and accessories or goodies.

If you want another machine that will take you another 10 years get one that is touch capable and one that is upgradeable such as the hard drive and ram. And lastly, it probably will break or you'll need something so it's about customer service. Apple leaders the way there but is it worth the premium? Only you can decide that.

And as a last thought, what will you use it for? Just email and surfing or gaming and graphics. Answer that first then the rest of the questions.

Good luck.

Dell is great and they can set up a payment account for you so it does not limit you to 5 bills... They also have a refurb section and don't skip the business machines. I own a Dell Vostro and it comes with ZERO third party junk... no try before you buy crap either... So that saved me a few tons of room for working software. Check them out... I think the biggest none biz thing that came with my Vostro is solitaire and few other MS games not worth mentioning... My Vostro is a 2004 model and I just replaced the hardrive because it only cost me $99 to double the size and have the tech ghost all my programs over to the bigger hard drive... I am not into games either...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links