Time to replace the laptop - Page 3

Time to replace the laptop

This is a discussion on Time to replace the laptop within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by zacii I've really gotten comfortable with Windows XP, so I'm not too keen on a new OS... Unless you're prepared to stick ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Time to replace the laptop

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I've really gotten comfortable with Windows XP, so I'm not too keen on a new OS...
    Unless you're prepared to stick with a "dead" O/S (without updates, security patches, support), if sticking with Microsoft's O/S then you're going to need to consider Windows 7 or 8. Win7 is fairly bulletproof, IMO. Not all that different from XP, though of course there's been a little reformatting of the interface. Still, you can find most everything via the Start menu and the F1/Help ... just like always. I wouldn't let going to Win7 stop you, or bother you. Just spend a couple evenings rooting around every little menu, drop-down, Control Panel and other screen you can get into, until you've got the swing of things. Won't take long.

Not a hard core user, mostly web surfing, email, watching videos, email, etc. No gaming and very little photo editing. I believe that I can get away with 4 gigs of RAM, and I would rather go with Windows 7 than 8.
    Then a souped-up Intel I7-based system won't be necessary. But I'd still look for the most memory (RAM) you can find. 4GB is pretty lean, all things considered, even if you're not pushing the machine.

My suggestion would be: 8GB of memory, and at minimum the Intel i5 chip. In a laptop, it's possible you might find a deal on an i7 system, but $500's pretty low.

Here's one @ Dell Outlet: Inspiron 5520, i5 chip, 8GB 1600MHz memory, Win7 Home Premium. Quick memory, BTW.

Here's another @ Shopping.com: Lenovo IdeaPad Z570, i5 chip, 6GB RAM, Win7 Home Premium.

Slow hard drives, though. 5400rpms is awful, but typical on a budget laptop. 7200rpms is preferable, 10K even better (if you can find them, on a laptop this inexpensive). You can always swap out for a speedier one, or go SSD (memory-based "disk").

Check Staples or other similar "office supply" type places, as many of them have a few fairly screamin' deals on laptops. Now's the time to buy, before EOY, as many good discounts are trying to push the inventory out and make up for a fairly slow sales year.

There is also the Dell "Outlet" web store, where you can often pick up a fairly speedy box for a solid discount.

And at Shopping.com you can search for various deals all around the web.

I'll check out HPs, Toshibas, and Dell. I've been seeing Lenovos, but never heard of them before this week.
    IIRC, Lenovo is the old IBM Laptop division (think: Thinkpads) that got sold. Good basic design. Lots of folks swear by them. Or at least, used to swear by them when they were IBM. Haven't heard nearly so many issues with Lenovos as I have other brands of laptops.

I really hate having to get a new machine, working out all the bugs that I know I'm gonna have, pulling all my hair out making it communicate with my home network, etc.
    Well, as for "bugs" and foibles, I've found Win7 to have far, far fewer issues than any prior Microsoft O/S. Really, other than one little incompatibility with a couple of third-party apps conflicting with each other, Win7 itself has given me no real problems.

As for setting up the system to see your home network and other devices ... yeah, there is that. But IMO Win7 does the new-install reconfig dance better than prior versions of Windows.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 2nd, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Laptop buying is one scenario I recommend you go to a computer store showroom instead of buying online. The $500 laptop range is very competitive and you'll get fairly close pricing in store versus online. I would recommend that you NOT shop based on brand name for laptops in this price range. Instead, go to the store and pick them up... do they feel wobbly and flexible? A cheap plastic case can let the internal components bend and crack, causing premature death. Find the most solid laptops in your price range and compare from there. Most laptops in this price range will have very similar features, but only a couple models will be made with a solid case, so this will help narrow down pretty quickly. Other than that, general recommendation is more memory is better than more hard drive, and try to stick with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 if possible.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Re: Time to replace the laptop

Thanks for all the input, so far.

I'm doing a lot of recon online; planning on making a purchase next week.

I see different options for Windows 7, either Professional or Home Premium. Which do you suggest?

Also, I'm gonna try to find an Intel processor i3, or so. Any info/recommendations on the AMD processors?

While perusing the Dell website, I noticed that some of the machines came with software that was a lesser version with ads. What should I look for here that I can avoid advertisements? I expect ads while web browsing, but I don't want to deal with them while using certain home office software offline.

Forgive me for bombarding you guys with questions.

ETA: The Dell outlet store shows a lot of this:

Microsoft Office Starter reduced functionality Word & Excel w/ads & no PowerPoint or Outlook

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Trying to narrow down a few options:

https://deals.bestbuy.com/computers+...ive++covellite

http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-g...product_985047

I'm looking at the new Dell on this page for $509:
    http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...&puid=30656db1. The only thing that I don't like is the advertisements in the reduced Microsoft Office software with ads.

This Toshiba is a wee bit more than my budget, but not much:
    http://www.officemax.com/technology/...ct-prod4280044

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    My wife and I both have ASUS laptops, no problems with either.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Another store you might try is Tiger Direct formally CompUSA.

Laptops & Notebooks at TigerDirect.com
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I see different options for Windows 7, either Professional or Home Premium. Which do you suggest?
    Depends which features you want. Here's a summary on Wikipedia: Win7 Versions. Any of the versions should be fine for "home," less-intensive use, unless you're desiring some of the other connectivity options that Professional offers.

Also, I'm gonna try to find an Intel processor i3, or so. Any info/recommendations on the AMD processors?
    In the Intel line, I'd try hard to stick with i5 or i7, which will be a noticeable bump in speed over the i3 chip. As will faster RAM (ie, 1600MHz over 1333MHz). As will a 7200rpm disk over a 5400rpm one. Nice to have a longer-running battery as well, and a spare battery pack, though it depends on whether you'll be requiring usage while away from electrical outlets. Of course, a "base" i3 with 5400rpm disk and simple battery will work fine, albeit slower. Depends on what you're willing to trade away, for other features, or whether you're prepared to reconfigure to add these.

While perusing the Dell website, I noticed that some of the machines came with software that was a lesser version with ads. What should I look for here that I can avoid advertisements?
    Uncertain which add-on software you're requiring for the computer. If speaking of "office" type apps, the full MS Office doesn't have ads. The "Starter" version does indicate ads. One way to avoid such things is to have an alternative WP/spreadsheet package such as the "freeware" Apache OpenOffice software. Unless you demand sticking with Microsoft software and its features (and integration with other MS apps), the same basic functionality of the full Office Pro package can be had with OpenOffice.

Another source for laptops, including refurbs: NewEgg.com.

Would any of you buy a refurbished unit?

ccw9mm, take it easy on me I give in easily to peer pressure.

You're gonna have me spending more money than I want to...

Re: Time to replace the laptop

Here's the machine that I picked up tonight:

http://m.staples.com/HP-ENVY-dv6-721...werbox_content

I was really apprehensive about picking up a laptop with Windows 8, but decided to take a chance with it. I've got a 14 day trial period where I can return it if I don't like it.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out after I mess with it for a few days. One thing that I'm concerned with is my ability to network it with our existing XP computers. I guess we'll find out.

I spent a lot of time online and in the stores looking at many different laptops, and found myself growing more frustrated every day. I never did see one that I had to have. None of them had the specific features that I wanted, and most of them felt like flimsy pieces of garbage.

Regarding this particular laptop, it's got an AMD Quad Core processor, 6 GB RAM, and a 750 GB hard drive. It's not the fastest and the mostest, but it will certainly fill my needs.

To be continued...

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links