My dog is sick

This is a discussion on My dog is sick within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy Is there a chance that he could have ate something outside and had an allergic reaction that caused the seizure? A ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My dog is sick

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Is there a chance that he could have ate something outside and had an allergic reaction that caused the seizure? A mushroom or other type of spore or fungus perhaps? You might want to walk a grid pattern on your property and remove anything that could be potentially hazardous to your dogs.
    I thought of that also, but i have a 100' x 50' fenced in area behine the house which is just grass. I live in the woods, and have a 6' chain link fence not only to keep dogs in , but to keep wildlife out, such as coyotes, fox, skunks, porcupines, bears, lynx, etc... all of which i have seen on opposite side of fence at one time or another. I will check yard again in morning when we get some daylight... thanks for the heads up, i will check it out.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 97tbird View Post
    I have a beagle/basset with epilepsy. we had her on Phenobarbital for a while and she was having about 1-2 seizures a month. After reading about the side effects and having the vet notice that her liver was getting enlarged, we switched her over to Potassium Bromide. She has responded very well to it and I could not tell you the last time she had a seizure, it has been well over a year. good luck, it can be controlled and the dog can live a normal life, except for the occasional seizure. It can be very scary the first time it happens. when Patty has a seizure we stay close to her pat her gently and talk calmly to her until she emerges, after about 15 minutes of rest she is back to her usual self. Good luck and keep us posted!
    The emergency vet also told me about staying away from Phenebarbitol because of side effects. It is amazing how quickly they recover from the seizure, and leave me trembling still.
    "6 P's of self defense "

Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    Im so sorry, I hope it all goes well.
    thanks i appreciate the well wishes.
    "6 P's of self defense "

Quote Originally Posted by RAL View Post
    Hope the seizure was a "one only" occurrence. I'm glad Winston has you and you took prompt action.

One of my room-mates in college was epileptic (petite mal) who controlled it, for the most part, with meds. I think I was the only one who noticed when she was being affected.

I have a friend who adopted an Australian Cattle Dog with epilepsy. She medicates the dog daily and stays on top of things with an excellent diet, regular exercise, and on-time medication. The dog rarely has a seizure.

I also dog-sit for a neighbor. Her dog had a seizure while in my care. I took it immediately to the vet and it fully recovered. It has been several years and the dog has not had another.

You will suffer more over this than your dog. It's always harder on those watching and dogs don't usually act concerned. They just pick themselves up and keep doing their best.

Love them while you have them!
    I think i will feel better monday after a good nights sleep, as i cant stop my mind from racing. Thanks for taking the time to post, it helps!
    "6 P's of self defense "

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    The emergency vet also told me about staying away from Phenebarbitol because of side effects. It is amazing how quickly they recover from the seizure, and leave me trembling still.
    Yeah, it can be quite scary the first time. Especially when she starts trembling as you are scolding her for peeing in the house! We had no idea she had epilepsy, we had adopted her only a week before, so we just thought she was having house training issues. It was only once she was fully into the seizure that we realized something else was going on! We rushed her to the vet and by the time we got there she was fine! We were having heart attacks!!! Hope it all goes well for you and your pup.
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    My 6 year old Lab had a pretty bad one last summer while we were swimming in the river. I thought he was gonna die! First time it has happened (when I saw it anyway) and so far, hasn't happened again.
    We hadn't been at the river long at all, just barely walked from the boat launch to where we play in a slightly deeper spot. He was walking along behind me and it seemed like his back legs were sliding out from under him a lot, BUT I was also sliding on the rocks so I didn't think much of it at the time. First time I threw his bumper, he went and got it and got almost back to shore. He started to kinda half-swim in a circle back away from shore as his muscles tightened up. His front legs were stiff straigt forward. I went in and dragged him shallower. His back legs went straight out behind him, and his tongue was ALL the way out. I thought he was a goner. I got him all the way up in the sand so he wouldn't drown. Then he tried to get up, but couldn't, so I held him still till he got steadier. His heart was racing still.
    He weighs 75#+ so I can't carry him long distances. We had to wait till he was able, and slowly walk back to the truck, but he only wanted to play more fetch (stupid Lab). We went straight to his regular vet - it was close to closing time but I called from the truck to tell them we were coming and why. All the tests came back normal. Apparently seizures are common in Labs and one of the symptoms is excessive drinking. Heck, I always thought he was drinking "for fun" coz it's water and he's a Lab, but I always knew he drank more than he "should."
    Winston exhibited some of the same symptoms as your lab, including the "seizure is over, where is my breakfast" routine.
    "6 P's of self defense "

Here is an older pic of big bad Winston
    Attached Images
    RAL likes this.
    "6 P's of self defense "

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Oh man, hope your dog makes a full recovery as well... keep us posted. It funny how attached you get to your animals.... not to sound like a sissy, but when they get ill, its tough. Good luck
    Thanks, will do. I feel the same way, I hate seeing my pups sick, it's such a sinking feeling.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Having a certified vet tech as a girlfriend means I get to hear all of the things she deals with at work. I didn't realize how many dogs get cancer, or have digestive issues. My 6 month old Australian Shepherd is healthy as a horse (knock on wood). My mother's little ankle-biter Snizu-zoo had a seizure a few times but all the vets did was dope him up on painkillers and send him home.

You've gotten a lot of great advice, so I'll merely offer up some support! Poodles are great dogs, so hopefully all will work out! That's why we all love our Vets. Keep us posted.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member
    I had a Standard Poodle who had seizures about 8-9 times a year. In fact, the Standard I had before her also had seizures, but only two or three times a year. They were pretty much like you described. We got so that we knew when she was going to have one because she would go hide somewhere, like behind the sofa. I don't know why she did that, it must be a dog thing.
    All we did was run and get a bath towel to tuck under her because she would usually lose bladder control. Sometimes they were pretty bad and she would get very stiff and arch her back. We just petted her and waited it out. Usually the entire episode was over in 10-15 minutes. Afterwards she would wobble around for a few minutes, sleep for 1/2 an hour then get up and play with the kids the rest of the day!

It's pretty scary the first time you see one so I know exactly how you feel. Standards are prone to seizures for some reason. Our Vet said he didn't want to put her on any medication unless they became very frequent because the meds can cause more problems. He said as long as she recovers and goes on about her business, it's probably more traumatic for the owners than it is for the dog.

She lived till she was almost 14. We did put her on medicine for arthritis later in her life because she really needed it.

Winston is adorable! Standards are SO smart and so gentle. Our dog looked very much like Winston except that she was black.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Distinguished Member
    Is it possible Winston got an insect bite of some kind? Spider, scorpion, etc. Bites can cause similar symptoms. The sites are usually hard to find unless on the nose/face. I hope there are no more problems for him.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

ARE YOU SURE .... that it was a seizure ?????

Almost sounds like a possible 'stroke', and they do have them. Very very very similar symptoms show in a dog as seizures.

Mine had a couple like that .... that the Vet and I .... assumed were seizures. They weren't..... they were small strokes..... then she went into grandma strokes one day. If we had thought of that, there are things we could have done and she may never have had the grandma strokes and also wouldn't have ended up being put down. That .... is one of the ugliest things .... you would ever want to see happen to your dog. I mean the worse "UGLY" ... you can imagine, and you are totally helpless to do a thing for them. I feel I really failed that dog.... and still feel bad about it. That is 'horrible' to watch a dog go thru... and be able to do nothing for them. Their mind is working, but their body .... going thru all kinds of contortions and losing their ability to stand, etc.... within a short short time, and going downhill from there.... and one stroke after another hitting them (like seizures.... same type symptoms ... ) and they are looking at you to help them.... and scared at what's happening to them.

Just a suggestion. Watch her behavior, how she walks, if she barks the same, her mouth .... effected ?? (lips on one side drooping, tongue, etc) or any signs of a stroke.

If you suspect a stroke treat it the same you would a human. And hope, it's seizures and not strokes.

If it is seizures, they can be put on the same meds people are.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

My 5-yr old Border Collie developed seizures about age two. Why? Don't know. Our vet has her on a combination of Phenobarbital and Zonisimide.

I can't describe the feeling seeing her in a seizure. At first they were quarterly and quite violent. After the Phenobarbital they eased and then went to every other week. After the Zonisimide they went to every three weeks and were less violent.

Allergy maybe? Friday evenings I would stop and get 2 lbs of catfish after work. My wife and I would have catfish and of course the dogs got their share. The Beagle and the Border Collie loved the catfish. After awhile I stopped getting the catfish and we noticed the seizures became farther apart and less violent.

4th of July she had three (3) seizures at 12 hour invervals. We have not brought catfish home since about mid-May, early June. Her last seizure was in Oct about 108 days from the last. So we think the catfish either is an allergy causing the seizures or more probably triggering seizures.

Next thing there are times when she gets real antsy, nervous, anxious and will follow me to the point of needing physical contact. So when this happens we hug her and pay a lot of TLC until the anxiousness passes. I sometimes think she's "fighting off a seizure".

Best to you and your pup. It sure hurts not being able to understand what's happening but at least the pups get through it OK.
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    ARE YOU SURE .... that it was a seizure ?????

Almost sounds like a possible 'stroke', and they do have them. Very very very similar symptoms show in a dog as seizures.

Mine had a couple like that .... that the Vet and I .... assumed were seizures. They weren't..... they were small strokes..... then she went into grandma strokes one day. If we had thought of that, there are things we could have done and she may never have had the grandma strokes and also wouldn't have ended up being put down. That .... is one of the ugliest things .... you would ever want to see happen to your dog. I mean the worse "UGLY" ... you can imagine, and you are totally helpless to do a thing for them. I feel I really failed that dog.... and still feel bad about it. That is 'horrible' to watch a dog go thru... and be able to do nothing for them. Their mind is working, but their body .... going thru all kinds of contortions and losing their ability to stand, etc.... within a short short time, and going downhill from there.... and one stroke after another hitting them (like seizures.... same type symptoms ... ) and they are looking at you to help them.... and scared at what's happening to them.

Just a suggestion. Watch her behavior, how she walks, if she barks the same, her mouth .... effected ?? (lips on one side drooping, tongue, etc) or any signs of a stroke.

If you suspect a stroke treat it the same you would a human. And hope, it's seizures and not strokes.

If it is seizures, they can be put on the same meds people are.
    Winston doesnt seem to have any one sided weakness or drooling from one side of the mouth. He is acting normal, but def went through my mind at the time. He seems well this morning, eating and playing with the other two dogs... i will keep a close eye on him, thanks for your info, must have been terrible.
    "6 P's of self defense "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links