My dog is sick - Page 3

My dog is sick

This is a discussion on My dog is sick within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by rangefinder My 5-yr old Border Collie developed seizures about age two. Why? Don't know. Our vet has her on a combination of ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My dog is sick

Quote Originally Posted by rangefinder View Post
    My 5-yr old Border Collie developed seizures about age two. Why? Don't know. Our vet has her on a combination of Phenobarbital and Zonisimide.

I can't describe the feeling seeing her in a seizure. At first they were quarterly and quite violent. After the Phenobarbital they eased and then went to every other week. After the Zonisimide they went to every three weeks and were less violent.

Allergy maybe? Friday evenings I would stop and get 2 lbs of catfish after work. My wife and I would have catfish and of course the dogs got their share. The Beagle and the Border Collie loved the catfish. After awhile I stopped getting the catfish and we noticed the seizures became farther apart and less violent.

4th of July she had three (3) seizures at 12 hour invervals. We have not brought catfish home since about mid-May, early June. Her last seizure was in Oct about 108 days from the last. So we think the catfish either is an allergy causing the seizures or more probably triggering seizures.

Next thing there are times when she gets real antsy, nervous, anxious and will follow me to the point of needing physical contact. So when this happens we hug her and pay a lot of TLC until the anxiousness passes. I sometimes think she's "fighting off a seizure".

Best to you and your pup. It sure hurts not being able to understand what's happening but at least the pups get through it OK.
    that helpless feeling and not being able to communicate with dog is rough. I know when he is not feeling well, and will keep a close eye on it.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

My Chocolate Lab had seizures occassionally,maybe 1 every 6 months or so,first time I about freaked out,she came running into where I was at and then went rigid and fell over and started convulsing a little bit,all I could do was hold her and pet her and talk to her,after about a minute she relaxed stood up and started wagging her tail,took her to the Vet and was told it's fairly common,gave me some meds,but the seizures were so far apart and never seemed to do any real harm other than freak her out not knowing what was happening,but as soom as she felt one coming on she would come hauling ass into wherever I was for help
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Back from 1978 to about 1990, we had a lhasa-apsa/poodle mix that had epilectic seizures. He might have three a year. We never put him on medication. I don't beleive the vet gave us the option. I would always hold him when he had one if I was near. He would usually bite the heck out of me when he came out of it (I think from fear).

Is everyone here aware that there have been several recalls on dog food and dog treats. There are people posting that the Waggon Trains and Milo's brand (especially chicken jerky type treats) have poisoned/killed their animals. Claims is that the
    chicken comes from China (who gave us lead toys, anti-freeze infused toothpaste, etc). Please research this a little and know what you're feeding them can cause harm as well. Products containing BHT/BHA as preservative (said to cause cancer in lab animals) are probably not a good idea anyway. Another good place to look is here: Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor as they list foods in order and how they rank and why they are ranked that way. Most prevailing ingredient is always first in human or animal food. If you can't pronounce it, probably shouldn't have it. Also, police the neighborhood where you dog walks (I walk mine around my property for 2yrs, so if I turn her loose she don't go off it) for antifreeze or hazards like rat poison.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear about Winston. My mother-in-law had a small terrier mix that had epileptic seizures and my step-son is taking care of a cat that has seizures as well. Years ago we never heard about all these conditions our four legged family members can have. Now we find they can have just about any medical condition that we get. I hope Winston starts to feel better soon. I know it is nerve racking not being able to help them when they need it most. Take care and stay safe.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that. I hope it was only a one time thing and that he has a long life ahead of him.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about that. I hope he turns out fine and has no more issues.

Sorry to read about you and your pup's troubles Bunker. Just reading your first post made me tear up for your circumstances and thinking about my Doberman that I had to put down in August.

Do what is best for the dog and remember that if it is suffering that you have to make that terrible decision that is cruel yet incredibly kind for your beloved pet. Never let an animal suffer for your sake and be sure to be there to send your loved one off. Anything is easier for a dog if you are there for it.
    ctr likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Winston is doing great today... although i had to work today, he seemed fine before and as soon as i got back home, he was his regualr self, wagging tail and excited like he has not seen me in ten years. He is a great watch dog also. I have a small log home, and i sleep in the loft. He usually sleeps at the top of the stairs, so he can see out into the livingroom. Anyone entering would have to face him first before smith and wesson backs him up. Thanks for all the well wishes, it means alot. bunker
    RAL likes this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Distinguished Member
    Great news bunker. Hooray for Winston!
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    ...snip...
    Does anyone here have a dog with a seizure disorder? If so, let me know what to anticipate and expect in the future. If you have a dog or cat at home, give em an extra hug tonight.

Bunker
    I have two pit bull mixes (brothers from the same litter) and one of them is said to have epilepsy. He used to have regular seizures, about every other day. They put him on phenabarbitol (sp?) but had to increase his dosage. Ever since the increase in dosage, he's hardly averaging one every two months.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Re: My dog is sick

My dog had epilepsy. Seizures at least once a day. We tried a liquid med, i forget what it was called. He still got seizures every other day. Ended up putting him on phemabarbatol (sp?). That worked. Only downside is it causes liver damage over long time since it's a man made drug. Please see a vet. It could be something else.

Sent from my N860 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to hear your news about your dog. I gave my dog a pat on the back in your honor, while she of course continued to clean her "special parts". I know how close the bond is between man and dog so I wish you all the best. As emotionless and automaton-like I am in normal life, I know I'd be in pieces if my dog were to get sick.
    bunker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Sorry to read about you and your pup's troubles Bunker. Just reading your first post made me tear up for your circumstances and thinking about my Doberman that I had to put down in August.

Do what is best for the dog and remember that if it is suffering that you have to make that terrible decision that is cruel yet incredibly kind for your beloved pet. Never let an animal suffer for your sake and be sure to be there to send your loved one off. Anything is easier for a dog if you are there for it.
    Amazing post and wonderful advice. I hope I have the strength of character to follow it when my dog inevitably moves towards her final days.

I don't know anything about dog health issues but I hope Winston stays healthy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links