My dog is sick

This is a discussion on My dog is sick within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Had a rough morning today. Woke up at 5:30, let my three dogs outside in the fenced in yard (2 miniture black poodles and one ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My dog is sick

My dog is sick

Had a rough morning today. Woke up at 5:30, let my three dogs outside in the fenced in yard (2 miniture black poodles and one very large standard white poodle named Winston). When they came in, i was making coffee, going to wake up my nephew and brother for our morning deer hunt, and my standard poodle starting having a seizure.

I am in the medical field myself, not a Dr., but have 18 years treating cancer patients with radiation... i have seen my fair share of seizures, and he was def having one. It was not total tonic clonic, but more of an inability to stand, listing to the left side, and eventually ffalling over. I rushed to him, and he was shaking gently, not full blown muscle contractions. He urinated a little, and after i hollered for my family, his sezure ended... only lasted a minute or so.

Winston is a 5 year old, and is allready on his second chance. He almost died from a stomach torsion two years ago, but luckily i got him to the vet immediately, and he had suregery to save his life. This time it looks to be epilepsy. I hope this seizure was a one time occurance, but if he has another, i may have to have him on meds, which i understand have significant liver toxicities.

I rushed him to the emergency vet, where they ran quite a few tests and xrays, all coming up normal. He seems fine now, but i have to be honest, i was pretty rattled... now i dont want to leave his side. He seems to be doing fine now, as as my folks say, dogs dont anticipate future seizures, and dogs dont worry about it.... but i sure am. Have to call my local vet Monday morning, and let him in on what went on.

Does anyone here have a dog with a seizure disorder? If so, let me know what to anticipate and expect in the future. If you have a dog or cat at home, give em an extra hug tonight.

Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Best of luck to Winston. I don't have any advice but know what you are going through. I woke up to one of my dogs whining on Friday morning to find her on her bed unable to move and drooling, yet very alert and aware. She had also thrown up and urinated during the night. It all happened in less than 5 hrs, went to bed at 11pm and am awoke at 4am to find her in this condition. I rushed her to e-vet and they determined it was a stroke, and unsure of what the cause was yet. She stayed the night at the hospital and surprisingly by Sat morning she was up and wagging her tail in her kennel. I was able to take her home last night and she's slowing coming back to 100%. Some tests have come back normal and we are still waiting for a few others along with a radiologist eval of her x-rays. The waiting is the hard part and I'm fearful that it could happen again.

Here is hoping Winston can remain seizure free!
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Im so sorry, I hope it all goes well.

My dog is sick

Sorry to hear this. I had a golden retriever the developed epilepsy. It's was much worse the you have described. We ended up putting him on some meds that required constant blood work to monitor his liver due to the amount of meds needed to prevent the seizures. Long story short, it was not the way for him to live and we had to say good bye.

I have a 9 year old Australian Cattle Dog that has seizures periodically. Maybe 3 a year, sometimes none in a year (that we witness). She will be sleeping, suddenly jump up and basically freeze. Her muscles will all contract and she'll be "paralyzed". Freaked me out the first couple of times and visits to the vet were the same as yours, nothing found.

After the 1 minute seizure, she comes out of it, licks her lips and slowly relaxes. She gets her balance and is able to stand, does a full body shake as she does when she gets wet... and she's fine.

I did some research years ago and basically it's not uncommon and if they aren't overly frequent and not debilitating, don't worry about it (easier said than done).

Now that you've mentioned this, I realize she hasn't had a seizure in quite a while.

Good luck to you, keep an eye on your furry child and hopefully it doesn't become a major problem.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23's for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

My dog is sick

sorry to hear.

my cavalier is about a hundred years old and any day now I expect the vet to tell me about some terrible problem.

I have a beagle/basset with epilepsy. we had her on Phenobarbital for a while and she was having about 1-2 seizures a month. After reading about the side effects and having the vet notice that her liver was getting enlarged, we switched her over to Potassium Bromide. She has responded very well to it and I could not tell you the last time she had a seizure, it has been well over a year. good luck, it can be controlled and the dog can live a normal life, except for the occasional seizure. It can be very scary the first time it happens. when Patty has a seizure we stay close to her pat her gently and talk calmly to her until she emerges, after about 15 minutes of rest she is back to her usual self. Good luck and keep us posted!
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

Is there a chance that he could have ate something outside and had an allergic reaction that caused the seizure? A mushroom or other type of spore or fungus perhaps? You might want to walk a grid pattern on your property and remove anything that could be potentially hazardous to your dogs.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

My Lab had seizures. It was Lyme disease. He recovered fully after treatments. Then he got Lyme a couple of years later for a second time. We used to go hiking in woods almost every day, so we both had lots of ticks on us.

My fella has gone on to doggie Heaven. Good luck with yours!
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Best of luck to Winston. I don't have any advice but know what you are going through. I woke up to one of my dogs whining on Friday morning to find her on her bed unable to move and drooling, yet very alert and aware. She had also thrown up and urinated during the night. It all happened in less than 5 hrs, went to bed at 11pm and am awoke at 4am to find her in this condition. I rushed her to e-vet and they determined it was a stroke, and unsure of what the cause was yet. She stayed the night at the hospital and surprisingly by Sat morning she was up and wagging her tail in her kennel. I was able to take her home last night and she's slowing coming back to 100%. Some tests have come back normal and we are still waiting for a few others along with a radiologist eval of her x-rays. The waiting is the hard part and I'm fearful that it could happen again.

Here is hoping Winston can remain seizure free!
    Oh man, hope your dog makes a full recovery as well... keep us posted. It funny how attached you get to your animals.... not to sound like a sissy, but when they get ill, its tough. Good luck
    "6 P's of self defense "

My 6 year old Lab had a pretty bad one last summer while we were swimming in the river. I thought he was gonna die! First time it has happened (when I saw it anyway) and so far, hasn't happened again.
    We hadn't been at the river long at all, just barely walked from the boat launch to where we play in a slightly deeper spot. He was walking along behind me and it seemed like his back legs were sliding out from under him a lot, BUT I was also sliding on the rocks so I didn't think much of it at the time. First time I threw his bumper, he went and got it and got almost back to shore. He started to kinda half-swim in a circle back away from shore as his muscles tightened up. His front legs were stiff straigt forward. I went in and dragged him shallower. His back legs went straight out behind him, and his tongue was ALL the way out. I thought he was a goner. I got him all the way up in the sand so he wouldn't drown. Then he tried to get up, but couldn't, so I held him still till he got steadier. His heart was racing still.
    He weighs 75#+ so I can't carry him long distances. We had to wait till he was able, and slowly walk back to the truck, but he only wanted to play more fetch (stupid Lab). We went straight to his regular vet - it was close to closing time but I called from the truck to tell them we were coming and why. All the tests came back normal. Apparently seizures are common in Labs and one of the symptoms is excessive drinking. Heck, I always thought he was drinking "for fun" coz it's water and he's a Lab, but I always knew he drank more than he "should."
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

RAL
    Hope the seizure was a "one only" occurrence. I'm glad Winston has you and you took prompt action.

One of my room-mates in college was epileptic (petite mal) who controlled it, for the most part, with meds. I think I was the only one who noticed when she was being affected.

I have a friend who adopted an Australian Cattle Dog with epilepsy. She medicates the dog daily and stays on top of things with an excellent diet, regular exercise, and on-time medication. The dog rarely has a seizure.

I also dog-sit for a neighbor. Her dog had a seizure while in my care. I took it immediately to the vet and it fully recovered. It has been several years and the dog has not had another.

You will suffer more over this than your dog. It's always harder on those watching and dogs don't usually act concerned. They just pick themselves up and keep doing their best.

Love them while you have them!
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    I have a 9 year old Australian Cattle Dog that has seizures periodically. Maybe 3 a year, sometimes none in a year (that we witness). She will be sleeping, suddenly jump up and basically freeze. Her muscles will all contract and she'll be "paralyzed". Freaked me out the first couple of times and visits to the vet were the same as yours, nothing found.

After the 1 minute seizure, she comes out of it, licks her lips and slowly relaxes. She gets her balance and is able to stand, does a full body shake as she does when she gets wet... and she's fine.

I did some research years ago and basically it's not uncommon and if they aren't overly frequent and not debilitating, don't worry about it (easier said than done).

Now that you've mentioned this, I realize she hasn't had a seizure in quite a while.

Good luck to you, keep an eye on your furry child and hopefully it doesn't become a major problem.

sounds alot like what my dog went through this morning. Thanks for the info.
    "6 P's of self defense "

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    sorry to hear.

my cavalier is about a hundred years old and any day now I expect the vet to tell me about some terrible problem.
    Each day is a gift, thats for sure
    "6 P's of self defense "

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    My Lab had seizures. It was Lyme disease. He recovered fully after treatments. Then he got Lyme a couple of years later for a second time. We used to go hiking in woods almost every day, so we both had lots of ticks on us.

My fella has gone on to doggie Heaven. Good luck with yours!
    Winston had Lymes disease four years ago, but showed no clinical sign or symptoms. He only had one tick on him his entire life, but was treated with antibiotics.... i will bring this up to the local vet when i talk with him this week. All my dogs get advantix now, as the ticks in my area are horrible.
    "6 P's of self defense "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links